Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / What would be the best platform for building 2D Android games?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
What would be the best platform for building 2D Android games for an intermediate level game developer?
Operep
Years of Service
User Offline
i would say Unity. i was a newbie 2 years ago and struggled to choose the platform, and came across unity. and it was not so hard to make on as unity has a huge community supporter, and people help me a lot on that, managed to make my first game with in 1 months (long but for a newbie it's great). and when i check on APKnite(the site i post my game on) it has over 12k download, which is amazing!
Proadite
Years of Service
User Offline
it's depended actually, there are pros and cons of the platforms so you need to choose for what you prefer
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2019 13:31
I gotta say "App Game Kit", especially since this is the AppGameKit forum u'r posting on
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 15th Mar 2019 01:11
AGK is allot more suited to mobile devices than unity ever has been or will be
which makes AppGameKit the choice for mobile development. Sure there are plenty of android apps made with Unity but they require higher spec phones and tablets

fubar
Faizan Alam
Years of Service
User Offline
Unity is one of the best android game development platforms I've ever used. My vote for Unity.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2019 01:57
AGK or Cocoa are good options., of course it depends entirely on what your "End Goal" is.
If Engine Development sounds interesting, then I'd HIGHLY recommend OneLineCoder Pixel Engine., and it's accompanying YouTube Series 'Code-it-Yourself!' on David' JAVIDX9 Channel.

It's not strictly going to support Android "As-is" … but perhaps a good first project could be to try to add support for Android, to use it.
Worth checking out.
Josh George
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2019 11:35
unreal engine and 3D engine best plateform to build the 2D android games. I think you should be try this. To get more deatil about read Avast UI failed To load
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 4th May 2019 11:45
Every game ive seen for android done in Unity uses up allot more resources than AppGameKit, unity needed about twice the space for the same
application. And was best suited to high end mobile phones not the cheaper phone I have which works great with every game I have
tried written in AGK. But the others ive tried are so slow theyre unplayable
fubarpk
fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2019 22:07
My vote is for AGK2 in either 2D or 3D . The games I've put on Android work great and didn't have to do too much to convert them.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2019 06:09
Using Unity to create a 2D mobile game is like using a nuke to hunt for rabbits. AGK2 is very easy to pick-up and create/deploy code. Best part, you can download the AGKPlayer to your mobile device and test code immediately using the IDE's broadcast mode...no need to compile than manual hard download to your phone and not have to fiddle with your settings in order to allow your phone to run the app. Not sure Unity even has this feature.
Asimakh1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2019 09:51
I think CORONA would be the best platform to build 2D Android games or you can even take help of any of the android developers.
carlkemp
Years of Service
User Offline
Unity, AppGameKit, Unreal Engine. I tried some games on apknite with these platforms.
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2019 04:17 Edited at: 1st Nov 2019 04:19
I would test all of em and give it one month on each.

For me Unity is more powerful has a great community and you can use C# code in it. Can be let down by 6Gb download to update to latest features which also kill off things they choose and deprecate commands you used a few months prior. High requirements. Must use Visual Studio now that MonoDevelop has gone so that size has to be factored into it.

AGK has quick build times, small downloads but isn't supported by big companies like EA (they have a unity licensed etc).

Unreal is more based towards C++ than a easy to use language it's probably the most powerful of the lot. Also has large download sizes and requirements

Take into consideration for 2d you don't need power just the ability to display what you've drawn where you want on screen. Anything even Java can do that, but for quickness AppGameKit gets my vote. Unless you want to be lugging around a PC it's AppGameKit I use it on a Jumper ezBook2 which Unity and Unreal struggle on.
-EdzUp
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2019 15:48
Android is the platform. What you are asking about is development environments.

Unity, AppGameKit, Coco 2D, and even GameMaker Studio are decent for making 2D games for Android.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 13:22:17
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 13:22:17