Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / [SOLVED] Simple 'homing' movement

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
In my shoot'em up type game I just want to add a homing missle type movement.
I'm sure I managed this in BlitzBasic years ago, but I fear age has addled my brain.
I quickly got to the 'missile points at target and goes straight to it' stage but then wanted to add the smoother movement/rotations rather than sudden changes of direction. I nearly managed it once but it insisted on freaking out on me when it was directly below the target.

I have searched endlessly, finding Unity demos a plenty, a few Java based solutions, mentions of Curveangle(?) in DBP, a very old Blitz code archive demo which I could not get to run. Having spent all yesterday trying to solve this 'simple' thing I ended up on a heap in the sofa reading a Wikipedia article on Slerps, dribbling slightly whilst banging my head against a cushion …

Today I started a fresh with just simple code to get a sprite to follow the mouse pointer

, with the intention of modding that to get the movement I was after, then inserting it into my game. Another half a day and I'm still no closer.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? (no pun intended) I have been trying to pick an angle part way to the angle of the target from the 'chaser' and move towards that, but every way I try just does not work. I fear I am defeated by what should be a simple thing ..

Cheers
Graham

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

GH69
Years of Service
User Offline
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Isn't it always the way, as soon as you ask you stumble across a solution.

Very little code, although I don't know how efficient it is, but it's a start.
I'd still be interested in any other methods though.

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 5th Dec 2018 17:25
Yeah - your code looks good and does exactly what it is intended for

Well done. I couldnt have done it any better

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 14:28:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 14:28:21