Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Light problems in FPSC Classic (+blackice mod)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone!

Hope you can help me solve a problem with lighting on my levels. The thing is that before everything else I'd had a problem with static lightning which appeared to light segments separately, i.e. the light looked blocky, tile by tile. The forum search led me to changing the static light to dynamic, - that excluded the blocky lights problem, but born a new one - whenever a player moves from the light source for an insignificant amount of steps (a couple of tiles), this light source disappears. Thus, if I put several light sources in the room, they all start flickering when my player moves. This happens only with dynamic lights. How do I solve this? I've run through the setup.ini for some clarification but to no avail. Maybe it has to do with the blackice mod? And if so, has anyone ever encountered this problem?

Thank you!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 16th Jan 2019 18:32
Hello 1112312561
I hope that's not your phone number

I think I understand your issue. Try this.

Set your light sources back to static, as they should be. Dynamic lights are a different story for a different day. Look in your FPS Creator folder for a file named Setup. Depending on how you view Windows, it may show as Setup or Setup.ini as it is an ini file.
See the attached image. The two highlighted values are the one you will want to change/adjust. The have to do with how lighting affects static segments, and they will fix that blocky light problem. Set them to at least what you see in the pic and try your level again. You will need to be out of the FPS Creator program to save the changes. You can adjust from there, bur remember that the higher you go with these values, the more memory it will take to compile and run the level. Also, remember to enter your lightmap size in the proper size values (256, 512, 1024). You can go to 100 in quality, but don't.... it wont run. About 25 should be your high limit if you want others to be able to play your game.

Let us know if that helps.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey! Thanks, it worked...ish. Mainly, the trouble is gone, and I might be too pedantic about it, but the cells closest to the light source seem to be lit more (duh) and the further cells appear blocky (see the attached image, I'm a bit at loss of words, so I pointed at the issued troubles if they are such per se with white arrows). Maybe the light has to be put more precisely, I don't know. I'll also try to compile the test game just to see if that could solve the problem, some of my previous problems have been eliminated in such fashion.
Well, after testing there appeared another problem, but of a different sort. The light that goes through from another room seems to be "leaking" inside the current room, also somehow lighting up the door from the inside, see the attached image. Is there any solution to this too?

Thanks anyway, mainly it's working just fine!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 17th Jan 2019 17:36
What did you set those settings at? If your LightMapSize is 512, try setting it to 1024. From the images, that looks like the issue. From the FPS value in your images, it looks like you don't want to go much higher on the light map quality.

As for light on and through doors, it's always been an issue because dynamic objects use light differently from static ones. I'm pretty sure there is another adjustment for this, but I can't remember where it is and if it's only for characters.

@ ncmako. When you see this, would you please advise further. I'm too far removed from every day usage to keep up with the technical aspects.
And now ......
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2019 00:28
@ xplosys Sure thing.
@ 1112312561 Nice user name.... ( I hope that's not your phone number ) and welcome
Xplosys has pointed you in the right direction. Lighting in fpsc is a touchy trial & error thing. Lots of testing is required to get things just the way you want.
Follow Xplosys advice, and also read over Wolf's thread linked here to to get a better understanding of the settings......https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/186371
Read thru all of his suggestions, the setup.ini settings are VERY important. The light passing under doors is what Explosys said. Try static lights and a little further away. They
seem to not pass thru on segments and doors. Speaking of segments, if you us a lot of "different shaders " for all of your segments you will run into problems.
Each/every shader reacts differently with lighting. So finding the right shader that works for you, and then sticking with it helps a lot.

Anyway, any more question just ask

My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Location: You know that space between a dresser and the floor ? Yeah, that's where
Years of Service
User Offline
@ ncmako - no, that's not my phone number, I've logged in via Google, so it gave me a random nickname, I guess
@ xplosys
Thank you for all your help. Such a simple thing as re-installing the game has solved everything! Well, almost. The only problem remaining is lighting of doors - I'm talking about their entity parts. There are two main issues I've had with them:
1) Say, we have two rooms. One is lit, the other's not, connected by a door. Being in the unlit room, I can see the light color on the door itself from the inside, which is, I believe, not right. I've tried fumbling with FX, physics and all that but to no avail. The doors still emit the outer light.
2) I've been using a nomadsmod's flashlight, so let's say we have two unlit rooms, connected by a door. The light works perfectly on walls and decorations, but there is no light getting on the entity part of the door. It remains dark or just slightly lit, but not as the segment part of the door, for example.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2019 00:04 Edited at: 16th Oct 2019 00:04
1112312561 Here, try this suggestion and see if it helps with both problems ? I've had similar issues with doors & lights.
Since your using Nomad's weapons ( Nomad flashlight ) I figure you also have the "shaders" for his segments.
After placing your door's right click on the door entity, see which shader is being used, replace those with "door_spec_norm.fx" shader.
Should be in folder Files\effectbank\nomadmod\entities\dynamic Find that shader and apply to your doors. This shader is much better with reacting to flashlights.

Also note, keep any light markers "range" ( that's the ring-range when placing ) keep it to one side of the door. If the ring/range goes past a door the light WILL bleed thru door.
See if that works better for you
best,
My games never have bugs.... they just Explosys's

** WHERES MY YELLOW BUTTON ? **

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 16:41:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 16:41:42