Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Is There Really Any Good Reason To Lock A Decent Thread?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2019 00:41 Edited at: 28th Jan 2019 18:38
I'm a long-time member of the discussion site (mod edit: posting anything or linking to politics is against the AUP). (I'm guessing a lot of you are also on there, or have ran away/escaped from it.)
I have threads there that are years old, and every once in a while a member or myself will have something interesting to add.

My point is, aren't we limiting the possibilities by locking old threads?
Besides, storage space is not an issue these days, and the old ones surely won't get too many responses anyway.

Just a thought, from your "subgenius" pal, Derek Darkly.
Send your parents to noisy sprite demo hell... enter the D-Zone
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2019 18:32
Never heard of that other website but after taking a gander it looks like a bunch of biased political stuff.

Sites will lock old threads so they aren't resurrected years later. What possibilities are we limiting? Someone can always start a new thread and link to the old one as a reference. And if a thread has locked from inactivity, then chances are the issue was already resolved and requires no further comments.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2019 18:37
We're pretty relaxed here, if you ask for a thread to be unlocked, 99% of the time a mod will have no problem unlocking it immediately. Though I'm confused, are you complaining about TGC forums, or those forums?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:34:16
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:34:16