Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Mac - vSync still broken and app's run much slower than AGK Classic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2019 20:28
I'm not on GitHub so I'll have to report any issues here.

1.. vSync no longer works. It is always off no matter what value I put in the vSync() command

2.. I understand that the IDE is an app itself and so to expect an FPS reduction during development. However without the IDE open my game now runs at 290FPS whereby on AppGameKit Classic 2018-07-12 it ran at 670FPS. Also in full screen it's even slower.

Just checked with AppGameKit Classic 2019-02-18 and sure as fate both the above issues are exactly the same ( I can't use 2019-02-18 as the IDE is blurry and slow ).

Somewhere between AppGameKit Classic 2018-07-12 and the latest version(s) then FPS on the Mac has dropped dramatically by 50%+ - As things stand now I can't use the latest classic version because the IDE is super slow and blurry and the AppGameKit studio produces 50% reduction in FPS as does the latest classic version.

Looks like I'll have to stick with the old classic 2018-07-12 version until the Mac side get fixed
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2019 19:19
I also have the same speed problems as Qube_... my app runs smooth on its own but only if I completely close AGKS. The app runs at a noticeably slower framerate when run from AGKS.
Senior Software Engineer - RotoGrinders
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2019 03:38
Have you tried Build/FPS Run?
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2019 08:25
I think there are 2 different issues at work. 1 restricted to Mac's and one with Studio in general.
For the Mac one I do not have an explanation. They'd really need to back track to see what they did different compiling the newer version and fix it for the Mac users. And/or see if they can replicate on their own systems..
For the Win Studio version it's probably the previews that use same code as AppGameKit to display, so I requested a turn off feature(under Feature requests ) for low specced systems. Just hiding the pane probably still keeps it active in memory.
Qube_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2019 19:57
Quote: "Have you tried Build/FPS Run?"

Yes, it make no difference at all. As said the speed drop and vSync issue is also on AppGameKit classic on Mac and looks like it happened somewhere after 2018-07-12 version.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2019 22:37
I have a MacBook Pro 2017 at home that I will try this on when I get back on Monday. I didn't consider this being an issue with low-spec machines.
Senior Software Engineer - RotoGrinders

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 09:15:49
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 09:15:49