Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / [SOLVED] Feature requests

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2019 08:08 Edited at: 17th Mar 2019 09:50
Reason:
As I didn't see this topic in here yet and GitHub being the designated platform for bugs reporting, I thought of putting this up here for might otherwise not be read. So here goes..

*** Feature Requests ***
Would be great if they would incorporate all the following features that I think people would expect to see in a modern dev environment and/or are currently missing.

For the Studio Editor:
- Optional smaller icons for the tool bar / resize ability, for currently way too big for on laptop screens. [EDIT: already present in the editor]
- Ability to completely turn off the previews(not only hide) for those on low specced systems(such as my laptop). My guess is that would up the fps.
[EDIT: see https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/224018#msg2641255 just use "FPS Run" from the Build menu]

- A Terrain, Scene and Character Editor (can be taken from GameGuru.. or AGE3D?). *
- A Shader Editor (can be taken from DarkBASIC - I've heard Paul did one there?). *

*) These could be build-in by default but, also available as separate add-on's or included in an AppGameKit Studio Pro version for those who like that kind of thing.
Which means more $$$ <-- Yes, I dare say the ugly word, I mean: more money/revenue for TGC to secure future continued development of our dearly beloved.

For the Language:
- Vertex commands (without going through all the memblocks hoops & hassle ).
- Spotlights.
- Full physics(yes, also vehicles like cars, ships, planes and rockets please ).
- Asynchronous loading.
- Missing useful commands from DarkBASIC Pro that people ask for(if feasible giving AGK's multiplatform nature, but in a lot of cases should be easy to port I'm guessing?)
- Possibility to compile fully standalone executables ( for interpreted gives a lot of pro's itches and is usually faster).
- Easy multiplayer network features such as Unity Networking Portal.
- OOP for those who fancy it ( might be more difficult to realize, perhaps a full rewrite so probably nogo). - not a priority if C# and Python are included. (Perhaps something for a future AGK4 if we consider AppGameKit S as AGK3.)

Possible Add-on's:
- Besides BASIC-script and C++, add C# and Python, which are *very popular* and seen as professional(important feat).
Do this either by default or.. launch the aforementioned, separate AppGameKit Studio Pro version to generate more revenue to pay for supporting it all. = $$$

- Create a separate, more advanced add-on for massive multiplayer games, such as Photon Networking and perhaps provide to host on a server against a monthly fee? = $$$

These are ways other companies gain more and more revenue and become mega (not that I want TGC to loose it's identity for it's pretty nice the way it is!)

Ideally I'd like to see all above incorporated into Studio of course, straight from the box which would make it a killer app that would lure in lots of people guaranteed, but might be bit too much at once.

Anymore feature requests?

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

ShaunRW
DBPro Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2019 11:03
Quote: "- OOP for those who fancy it ( might be more difficult to realize, perhaps a full rewrite so probably nogo)."

I believe OOP in Basic would not be a good idea. And TGC should instead add the C# and Python bindings to Studio.

What I do think would be very useful in the Basic language, is a module system similar to Purebasic. This would give us namespaces, which we can use to create reusable code without having to have a prefex on every function and variable to avoid name conflicts.
The syntax could look like this:
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2019 15:27
I hope they implement three things in the future:
•A real Gui system
•Occlusion culling so we can actually make use of high poly models and PBR shader
•Extend the math functions like vector 2-4, matrices and the ability to access AGK's projection,View matrices
Kakise
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2019 15:38
I think it would be great if they added C++ file support for their ide. This way you could develop both Tier 1 and Tier 2 games using their ide.
PCG Lover
Using AppGameKit Tier 1&2

My creations:

[Tier 1 PLUGIN] Wave Function Collapse for Tier 1
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Mar 2019 15:43
I wouldnt hope too much - the c++ /c# compilers are inbuilt withing Visual Studio, so unless Microsoft says yeah go for it - to grab out all the necessary linkage Compilers out of VS and nto agks bundle to make the executables then i probbaly much doubt that will happen

Microsoft licensing laws on their products is very tight

Tier 1 Developer
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
1. Built in asset and write file encryption - so your assets can be protected and so can files generated by the app.
2. Single exe export - no byte code etc.
3. More 2D sprite effects (one sprite cuts another etc)
4. Build in all the Steam commands that are currently a plugin
5. Pixel commands (AMOS had a load back in the day!)
6. Asynchronous functions - so can at very least have a loading screen animating whilst assets are loaded

Really looking forward to seeing this become a fully featured product!
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2019 16:53 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2019 17:07
@puzzler2018

I really don't know enough about the subject, but from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visual_Studio_Express I get:

Quote: "
Microsoft Visual Studio Express is a set of integrated development environments (IDEs) developed by Microsoft as a freeware and registerware[3] function-limited version of the non-free Microsoft Visual Studio. Express editions started with Visual Studio 2005.

Visual Studio Express was supplanted by the Visual Studio Community edition, which is also available for free.[4] but with different license. Compared to Visual Studio Express, the new license is more friendly to open-source but less for some closed source developers. The community edition works with plugins, a feature that was previously exclusive to the paid editions (Professional and higher). Express editions of Visual Studio 2015 are, however, still available for the time being.[5] A final version was released in 2017.[6]

"

And:

Visual C# Express[edit]

Visual C# Express is a free, lightweight, integrated development environment (IDE) designed for novice developers, students and hobbyists to create applications and (when combined with the XNA Game Studio) video games for Windows, Xbox 360 and Zune. It can build console, Windows Forms and Windows Presentation Foundation applications, and class libraries.

Microsoft has found that a substantial community of game players are taking up C# programming.[21][22][23]

Limitations[edit]

Visual C# Express does not have a breakpoint control panel; breakpoints can only be toggled.

The following refactoring modes were also unavailable24]
Encapsulate field
Promote local to parameter
Reorder parameters
Remove parameters
Extract interface

The limitations effectively reduce the refactoring capabilities of Visual C# Express to renaming and extracting methods. According to Microsoft, the reason the listed features are absent is "to simplify the C# Express user experience". Some users remarked that the omission of refactoring capabilities removed useful functionality without actually simplifying use.[25]

The ability to attach the debugger to an already-running process is also unavailable, hindering scenarios such as writing Windows services and re-attaching a debugger under ASP.NET when errors under the original debugging session cause breakpoints to be ignored.

"

Wouldn't that allow us to just use it with AppGameKit S if we simply install VisualStudio Express 2017 or the Community edition?

[EDIT]
I've checked the license from here: https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/license-terms/mlt553321/

IF YOU COMPLY WITH THESE LICENSE TERMS, YOU HAVE THE RIGHTS BELOW.

1. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

a. Individual License. If you are an individual working on your own applications to sell or for any other purpose, you may use the software to develop and test those applications.

b. Organizational License. If you are an organization, your users may use the software as follows:

* Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test applications released under Open Source Initiative (OSI) approved open source software licenses.
* Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test extensions to Visual Studio.
* Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test device drivers for the Windows operating system.
* Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test your applications as part of online or in person classroom training and education, or for performing academic research.
* If none of the above apply, and you are also not an enterprise (defined below), then up to 5 of your individual users can use the software concurrently to develop and test your applications.
* If you are an enterprise, your employees and contractors may not use the software to develop or test your applications, except for: (i) open source; (ii) Visual Studio extensions; (iii) device drivers for the Windows operating system; and, (iv) education purposes as permitted above.

An “enterprise” is any organization and its affiliates who collectively have either (a) more than 250 PCs or users or (b) one million U.S. dollars (or the equivalent in other currencies) in annual revenues, and “affiliates” means those entities that control (via majority ownership), are controlled by, or are under common control with an organization.

c. Workloads. These license terms apply to your use of the Workloads made available to you within the software, except to the extent a Workload, or a Workload component comes with different terms.

d. Demo Use. The uses permitted above include use of the software in demonstrating your applications.

e. Backup Copy. You may make one backup copy of the software, for reinstalling the software.

"

So, if I'm correct, we are allowed to use/install and sell our creations, as long as we remain indie and do not have more than 5 employees using it at once or have more than 250 employees?
JokerZ
AGK Silver Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2019 16:55
Adding native python support into the IDE for script running (choose BASIC or Python) would be a home run.
I am the Rocker, the Roller, the OutOfController
nonom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2019 19:34
Rick Nasher wrote: "For the Studio Editor:
- Optional smaller icons for the tool bar / resize ability, for currently way too big for on laptop screens.
- Ability to completely turn off the previews(not only hide) for those on low specced systems(such as my laptop). My guess is that would up the fps.

- A Terrain, Scene and Character Editor (can be taken from GameGuru). *
- A Shader Editor (can be taken from DarkBASIC - I've heard Paul did one there?). *

*) These could be build-in by default but, also available as separate add-on's or included in an AppGameKit Studio Pro version for those who like that kind of thing.
Which means more $$$ <-- Yes, I dare say the ugly word, I mean: more money/revenue for TGC to secure future continued development of our dearly beloved."

Agree with Rick.

My two cents, a 3D in place editor could helps this awesome software to jump to another level.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2019 21:52
Quote: "Optional smaller icons for the tool bar / resize ability, for currently way too big for on laptop screens."

Edit/Preferences/Ide uncheck enable toolbar larger icons (and Toolbar icon set options)

also Edit/Preferences IDE Update interval
Hubert BAYRE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2019 09:54
Code preview to easy navigate inside your code :

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 03:02 Edited at: 5th Mar 2019 03:05
I was purchased the Application Game Kit Studio today and I would liked to see and these to be added in the release version.

ZipStream file functions to load any kind of file directly from a zip file without need to unzip it and able to create and zips on run time and lock them with password. Also you would able to load and renamed zip files.
Custom Pack file maker. Not really the classic zip but there will be a pack editor and you will place your files in there and there will be an ability to create pack files on run time too.
2D/3D Physics system for precise collision and other dynamics like fluids or rigid bodies plus wind and joins.
Windows forms complete GUI system which support and skinnable forms and in game GUI functions too with events.
Terrain Maker and Exporter
Fully controllable sound and music system to able to load any kind of music and sound (OGG,WAV,MID,MP3,MOD,S3M,XM,IT) with functions to check if the Sound/Music is playing to make it 3D to change the Pan, frequency, loop,volume, fade in and out, create sound channels and seek inside the sound/music position to allow to play from a certain time, stop, pause, remove.
Load true type fonts and Bitmap fonts and Bitmap font maker.
2D/3D Color Blending functions.
Many file streaming functions to open, save, read, write, read directories, delete files, seek file byte position, write to specific position, skip byte, write append.
Support many popular 3D models. (3DS, FBX, BLEND, X). And some 3D model converter to able to load and legacy FPS Creator models plus model animation support. Play the animation from a specific frame. Pause animation, reverse animation.
More support for input devices and game controllers including and Virtual Reality controllers like Oculus Rift.
Functions for path finding and Artificial Intelligence for 2D and 3D.
2D Path functions for 2D animations and sprites.
Full sprite controlling (Resize, Blend,Rotate,Blit, Load from sprite sheet, Load Gif animated images).
Raycasting System for picking and checking 3D models.
Support to load and play videos on the part of the screen or oven a texture and being full controlled. Ability to change the size, the speed, to skip time, to pause it and support at least AVI format with full video sound controlling.
More ready made math functions like Τangent, Cosine, Sine, Functions to calculate distances between points in 2D and 3D space and other rotating functions like the legacy rotate plugin from Dark Basic Pro.
Dynamic Lights and Dynamic particle system.
Dynamic Lists and resizable arrays.
Normal Timers and High resolution timers.

This is a short list of the basics.
Thank you.
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 12:04 Edited at: 5th Mar 2019 12:05
Git connectivity, like the ability to clone and upload branches/repositories etc. I couldn't get the geany plugin to work on my Mac
OryUI - A WIP AGK2 UI Framework
IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 15:46 Edited at: 5th Mar 2019 16:23
ahh lets see? OOP?, C#? Python ?...not I,

I'm fine with an enhanced Basic like language as long as has all the latest Basic bells and whistles, procedures, returned variables , types , in code array blocks, cloning sprites , images and objects,

and a free beer when you're done coding , ect..

One of the reasons I program in AppGameKit is that it is Basic, and the easiest language I own to prototype a game and see if what I want to make really looks right and plays right.

but if GameCreators made OOP an option, not a standard I wouldnt protest, I'd just drink my free beer and watch from a distance.

And yes, I can do OOP, I just prefer Enhanced Basic.

Now to what I would like to see added, to the core of the language its self,

is a Built-in Tile system, with at least two and hopefully three layers, one for collision masks, and two for parallax scrolling of the different tile layers at different speeds.

I know myself, when I built tile scrolling code in AppGameKit using loops and accessing an array for the blocks, I could get pretty good speed for lets say 64 x 64 tiles, for two layers , but nothing like you get in another game making system we all know.

and you still sometimes get screen tear, hard for any interpreted language to loop thru and draw all those tiles

would be nice to just set up a 2D array, fill it with numbers, each number being a Sprite ID , or sprite strip reference number and / or collision code, and then give AGK's new Tile system the size of the sprites i.e (64x64) (32x32) , the location of the sprite strip, and the size of the array,, and scrolling values, like on the old Atari 800's scrolling registers , for horizontal and vertical scrolling of said tile map. with AppGameKit internally drawing all the tiles to the screen for us.

a man can dream, sips my beer and watches, from a distance
It\'s Bird! , It\'s Plane!, No its a rocket powered Squirrel holding some acorns and a smile!
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 18:07
@blink0k:
Quote: " Edit/Preferences/Ide uncheck enable toolbar larger icons (and Toolbar icon set options)"

Completely overlooked that one! Thanks.

Quote: " also Edit/Preferences IDE Update interval"

No change whatsoever, which ever setting I select. Still uses about 26fps.
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 18:35 Edited at: 5th Mar 2019 18:44
Quote: "the easiest language I own to prototype a game"

This is exactly the problem, most people including me using AppGameKit for prototyping and finish the actual games in other engines and frameworks.
In my opinion OOP and C# could help to keep people around but no one saying to replace Basic but offer OOP and C# along with Basic. I would honestly pay a separated license for it base price + some extra for C# as long it can compile to multiple platforms.

Quote: "c# compilers are inbuilt withing Visual Studio"

It is not true the compiler is completely free, open-source and doesn't require VS and support both .NET and Mono:
https://github.com/dotnet/roslyn

The CLI tool for building C# projects is also free and open-source works with both .NET and Mono
https://github.com/Microsoft/msbuild

Obviously it is require Mono or .NET but since it should be cross-platform I think the best option would be Mono which is again, free and open-source:
https://github.com/mono/mono

Including Xamarin components and SDK to build for Android and iOS:
https://github.com/xamarin/XamarinComponents
https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-macios
https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-android

TGC could create their own fork and ship with AGKS without any problems at all.
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 19:10 Edited at: 5th Mar 2019 19:11
That's pretty cool. Then I definitely agree they should ship C# along with it. It would really extend the range of the public.
Also I know for a fact a lot of people dig Python as it's easy to learn, similar to BASIC, but still respected by pro's, so if possible should be included too.

These two would greatly extend AGK's potential user base and shouldn't be too hard as the ground work has already been done.
Now it's just a matter of making it official.
IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 20:51 Edited at: 5th Mar 2019 21:13
Quote: " This is exactly the problem, most people including me using AppGameKit for prototyping and finish the actual games in other engines and frameworks?."

wait? what? you 're saying that the syntax of Basic is preventing other people from finishing games? and that as it stands? AppGameKit is only good for prototyping?

Thats not what I meant when I used (prototype), I mean if I'm starting a game in AppGameKit, I can first code a fast version up with blocks as characters and see if I like my idea for a game. Not that I leave it in prototype stage.

And the millions of games written in Basic in the past 50 years will disagree with the whole Basic prototype only thang.

Lets see, you have AGK's own showcase of games ( most in Basic versions) , Purebasic , BlitzBasic (r.i.p) , Fastbasic , GFA Basic ( loved that on my ST), games done in microsoft basic and Qbasic,

basics for the C64, TI99, Vic20, ColorComputer, Oh and a language on the Atari 800 called Action. BASIC in its design and fast as hell. Atari's own basic was slow as frozen crap.

Look, the syntax of a language, unless maybe if its fortran or cobol , have zero effect on finishing a game, its the easy of use, the speed of the compiler or interpreter ,and the graphics engine in place and how fast the procedures, arrays, types and variables are accessed.

and the programmers willingness to see the job through to the end.

and by the way, the first Basics back in the late 60's, were compilers, not interpreted, and ran fast as hell, at almost C speeds.

I get the whole, lets play with classes , methods , inheritances and pretty periods until our fingers bleed thing, I do some javascript, and gamemaker GML besides AppGameKit basic.

But lets not make a mistake here, Pro's know what makes a language great, and its not the syntax, or having multiple brackets till you see them in your sleep,

but the ease at which it enables one to get the job done. and yes, I've made games in Basic and Action, and I have a few I'm gonna finish in AppGameKit, with or without a tileset engine in place.

but if you insist on C# and Python, as an alternate, I'm good with it, as long as I get to keep my AppGameKit Basic.

Now back to my beer, its almost 4 pm and I need dinner.
It's a Bird! , It's a Plane!...., No its a rocket powered Squirrel holding some acorns and Smiling!
nonom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 21:12 Edited at: 5th Mar 2019 22:18
IronGiant wrote: "wait? what? you 're saying that the syntax of Basic is preventing other people from finishing games? and that as it stands? AppGameKit is only good for prototyping?"

The complex types has many lacks and have their own limitations. In my honest opinion our basic types are just like arrays with some collection features. A mashup of properties and collections into collections.

Zigi wrote: "In my opinion OOP and C# could help to keep people around but no one saying to replace Basic but offer OOP and C# along with Basic. I would honestly pay a separated license for it base price + some extra for C# as long it can compile to multiple platforms."

+1
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 22:42 Edited at: 5th Mar 2019 23:01
Quote: "wait? what? you 're saying that the syntax of Basic is preventing other people from finishing games? "

No. I was only replying to that "you find Basic to easiest language to do prototypes".

What I meant, people get started with Basic and do prototypes then eventually move on to C#, Java, JavaScript, Lua and finish their games elsewhere because Basic is easy and fast to get something up and running but it has limitations and disadvantages compared to more modern languages.
If you prefer Basic and do more than just prototypes, it fine. All I'm saying, C# and OOP could help to make people stay with AGKS and make it more attractive to some. Personally I would like to use C# simply because I like it and there are many 3rd party libs we can use and take advantage of.
Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 23:54
I am not interesting to have the Application Game Kit Studio for prototyping only!! I am planning to release a finished professional game.
ToeKnee
Years of Service
User Offline
Great job adding the ability to set custom headers when doing a http request!
AddHTTPHeader()

Request:
It would be nice to iterate over a json / xml object without having to map it to a Type array.
Be able to iterate over a json type variable and reference the native field names already in the object.

Keep up the great work.
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 01:42 Edited at: 6th Mar 2019 01:44
Quote: "I am not interesting to have the Application Game Kit Studio for prototyping only!! I am planning to release a finished professional game."

+1

As C# and Phyton have OOP then not a real must have to add this to BASIC a.k.a AGK-script. But some people might like it so if possible.. Perhaps for AppGameKit S2 : it's not a priority.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 10:33
Takis76......half of that is already in AGK.

That's quite the wish list though.......maybe they should just have a template for every type of game possible that we can drop graphics and sound into. Lol.
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 11:14 Edited at: 6th Mar 2019 11:17
A market place for game templates would cover that and wouldn't take long before most game types are available, where people can just replace the graphics and sounds. Especially if the templates are sold by the community (not just TGC). Not something I'd use much as I don't create games but there may be the odd nugget that would prove useful.

And if TGC took a cut from every template sale that's money in their pocket for not really doing much but manage the store. Which is a good thing.
OryUI - A WIP AGK2 UI Framework
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 11:28
Personally, I think some form of pine marketplace is a no brainer, and very probably already being considered if not already underway. It probably wouldn't be difficult to inteflgrate it now using their media browser as they gave full control over it. I personally think it would be a brilliant thing, especially if content creators could earn a little from some work they do.....DLC packs are good and well, but you can earn far more with lots of little bits.
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 18:28
Templates are a available at the competitions store too so why not? If it sells it sells.
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 19:03
As c0d3r9 suggested checking in CPU usage in taskmanger when set fps to lowes and indeed drops quite a bit when set to 30 fps.
Went from round 26-30 to 9-16% CPU usage. So that's a rather nice thing.
Didn't test while using preview yet though.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Should be 0% unless called upon for an action though. Otherwise, it's just eating up resources, processor/GPU burnout, and battery unnecessarily (also note the behavior when you try to compile and run a game at the same time with the IDE left 'running' in the background).

It wouldn't be an issue when actively rendering a preview, compiling, or doing some other active process. But just sitting idle with text and menus should also idle both CPU and GPU use at 0% until called upon.

If such an issue is not or can't be resolved (along with a few other issues I'm monitoring for fixes/improvements), then I'll be interested in just utilizing the original IDE with the new engine options. So I hope that will at least be an option if issues like this (among a few others) remain with the IDE in development.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, although that will vary depending on system conditions. GPU is the more concerning number, that's the one that should be at 0% all the time until activated. An IDE sitting idle, minimized, and/or a non-focused task with just text and menus should never be heating up a GPU.
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2019 00:42 Edited at: 7th Mar 2019 07:03
i just bought the pre-order even though I wont use it. I am to busy plumbing and painting and fixing homes right know. though I want to make an app that deals with construction know. That being said i would like to see a c++ export option for.the code. Or have some way of looking at the code both in c++ and agk code. Not many people use agk code outside of agk. I would also like to see a easy way to view 3d models so you can demonstrate models such as homes to my clients.
Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2019 09:51 Edited at: 7th Mar 2019 09:52
Not sure what you mean by you'd like to see an easy way to demonstrate models to clients......you just load in a model. What is it you are thinking, something that let's you change wall patterns or colours etc?

I think we need to keep focussed on what AppGameKit is......it's a programming language (and a basic one at that), NOT a drag and drop visual development studio (Well, yet). A lot of these requests aren't features, they seem more like asks for a program. The point of AppGameKit is that YOU make that program.

Let's keep the focus on actual FEATURES of a programming language.
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2019 12:03
No I don't care about replacement of textures on 3d models. That can be accomplished with 3d studioo, or any professional modeling program. All I want is a simple 3d interface that can load objects and mmaybehave the ability to move each of the models that are loaded separately in the interface.
Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
chamaeleon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2019 12:47 Edited at: 7th Mar 2019 12:48
Ugh, not another game making IDE that is running as if it was a game with frames per second, eating up CPU/GPU when I'm not actively doing something or viewing/previewing something that requires animation.. What on earth is wrong with the traditional model of event based processing?
Givver70
Years of Service
User Offline
I would like to see SQLite support without have to use C++
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
@chamaeleon

Yes, that is not the way an IDE should run at all. It even inhibits the performance of your actual game when both are running at the same time (when you simply press F5 to run it), so you can't gauge accurate performance metrics for your project. You'd have to manually compile, shut down your IDE, then manually start your game to perform such measurements. That's something no IDE should ever require. There needs to be options to disable such forced rendering at a minimum, or the rendering behavior of the IDE itself needs to change entirely to not consume so many system resources just sitting there and editing code in text. It is a deal breaker for me and I'll insist on using the old IDE with the new engine options if it isn't corrected.

I doubt it will stay that way though, 0% GPU while just editing code is a very basic foundational requirement.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
@SFSW: Don't existing IDEs that show that stuff disable it when running though? I doubt Unreal Engine or Unity keep things running in the background just because a level was loaded in the editor etc. But maybe I'm wrong.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
@ PHeMoX

Yes, it seems they do. I just tested Unreal for example, it utilizes GPU while actively rendering in preview, but once it loses task focus, it drops to 0-0.2% GPU, so almost nothing basically. If I'm doing nothing but editing text code in AGKS, the GPU should not be spiking like it does. And certainly once I compile and run something, the GPU should not be getting double hit because the IDE is idle in the background.
MMT
Years of Service
User Offline
Function pointers please.
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2019 21:18
Quote: "@SFSW: Don't existing IDEs that show that stuff disable it when running though? I doubt Unreal Engine or Unity keep things running in the background just because a level was loaded in the editor etc. But maybe I'm wrong."

Can't back this up but I've for sure noticed that Unity is virtually unusable on my system even with it's lowest quality examples because of the very low fps.
I mean: a non textured car or character should cause as much lag as it does in there.
dooz
Years of Service
User Offline
Where's the <- Back and -> Forward buttons gone! I love them. Please put them back in.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2019 22:11 Edited at: 15th Mar 2019 22:12
I have added a request for them here, give it a thumbs up.

Btw. In general, everyone with studio should check out the github bugs and thumbs up the ones you like.
It is far more likely that they will include those features if everyone gives them a thumbs up
dooz
Years of Service
User Offline
These are most obvious things that affect me right now:
* When you click in the Functions, Variables, Constants and Types boxes, drop the list down, but also allow search in those boxes.
* In fact every drop-down box where there could be things to search, add this feature.
* Put in the <- Back and Forward -> buttons for code and for the help.
* Make it clearer where the gutter is between line numbers and code. Allows easier clicking at the start of the line vs. selecting the whole line.
* Find (Cmd-F), and Replace (Cmd-H) should come up no matter what window has focus, currently (0.47) it only works if you're in the code window.
* Even at 30 FPS, it still eats a lot of grunt when I try and run my app, i.e. they are both competing for resources. Any plans of fixing this, if possible? I get it though - see my question below.

Otherwise functionally, it is really good.

A few questions:
* Based on the way resizes (and that it offers the ability to change the frame / sync rate) suggests this is built in Tier 1 AppGameKit itself? If so, amazing folks, this is a masterpiece.
* If this is AppGameKit, would you consider selling your UI kit for others to build desktop apps? I'm about to start one and considering AppGameKit, but the UI it the bit that's lacking.

Thanks - great ride, just getting better all the time!
Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
DavidAGK wrote: "Pixel commands (AMOS had a load back in the day!)"

It did! I miss them! In particular, PLOT to just paint a single pixel (at the moment you have to draw a rectangle that's only one pixel wide/deep, which is silly) and also =POINT to find out the colour of a given pixel.

My humble requests:

Is it at all possible to have dynamically resizeable arrays, like vectors in C++?

Could we have the ability to fold/unfold all functions (i.e. only functions, not loops)?
Undiscovered Worlds: a procedural landscape generator
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2019 17:54 Edited at: 17th Mar 2019 09:44
@dooz
Did you try the Menu>Build>Run FPS?

It tried it and it now kicks *ss! (Warp factor nine )
So finally the IDE is useable for me too.

From Github
Quote: "FPS Run set the IDE to sleep while you run your game.
There will be a event based waiting system in the next release that will fix all this "
dooz
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Rick, thanks, that is so much better. Had no idea what that was.
ghzero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2019 11:45
Its an very good feature to have the documentation inside of the ide ....currently i mostly having the browser beside to recherche about codes snippets or syntax / rules...

here my feature improvement for the in-ide-doc :
to let the user better understand the viewed code inside of the help/commands-area please view them in the same syntax highlighting as the normal (configured)view of code in the ide!
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2019 18:47
@dooz
You're welcome, neither did I at first.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2019 21:01
I don't think any of these points will be dealt with unless they are posted in github
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2019 21:04
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
All feature requests should be posted to the GitHub issue tracker individually.

Discuss in the forums first come up with good ideas and then post them one at a time in the GitHub issue tracker with as much info as possible to describe them.
Windows 10, Intel i7 4.2 GHz, 16GB DDR4, NVIDIA RTX 2060

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 12:28:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 12:28:27