Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / How to create multicoloured terrain.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2019 09:10
Good morning what I would love to know is how to create multicolored terrain. I've been using height maps for a while now and am ready to progress . I've heard or seen mipmap mentioned . I think. Anyway where do I start . Thanks.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2019 09:36
The example code would be a good place......there's a terrain in there.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2019 11:44 Edited at: 4th Mar 2019 11:47
Hi just looked through the examples and don't appear to have anything on terrain . Can I make the terrain in blender or is that just for meshes ?
Really wish I could afford the tutorial but skint right now .
Bengismo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2019 11:52 Edited at: 4th Mar 2019 11:53
Quote: "Hi just looked through the examples and don't appear to have anything on terrain "

It's in the AppGameKit projects folder in 3D and its called "terrain" Projects->3D->Terrain

Quote: "Can I make the terrain in blender or is that just for meshes ?"

You could use blender to make terrain if you wanted to but its easy enough to do it in AppGameKit with a heightmap image.

I would also check out this thread for a good terrain shader...there have been a few good ones posted.
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/223391
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 12:47 Edited at: 5th Mar 2019 12:48
well I found the example but wasn't really what I was looking for .I've created quite a few height maps now and really like them however I really wanted to know how to make the hills green and the water blue and the rocks grey . Can this be dome with a height map or should I be considering something new to me . Any thoughts on how to achieve this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 13:16
I think you're straying into shader territory now, though I thought the example had a shader that you could play around with to be honest.

I'd check out the thread Bengismo shared above, that should have some good tips.

I'm still looking for a tester for my world creator too, happy for you to try that and see if it needs your needs in exchange for your testing feedback.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 19:08
Hi Santman not right now but I'll bear it in mind .wanna sort of learn it the hard way first. Think what I need is a shader pack. Got an AppGameKit one on steam for 13 quid but want to find out what it's all about before I buy . Will look around the web and see if I can find a shader pack for free. Thanks for the replies.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 20:23
@phaber1
There are plenty of resources for shaders but any you find on the web you will have to convert
glsl shaders are what agk use and http://glslsandbox.com/ is a great place to start
but even those have to be converted to be used with AppGameKit as there are a couple of commands
that are different in syntax. They are mostly only suitable for 2D tho unless you have a great
understanding of shaders. https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/214598 is
a great place where people have shared some great shaders for free that work right out of the
box and is definitely worth looking through for shaders that you may find what you need. I think
from memory there is one that blends textures perfect for height fields. I also think bengismos
link wasn't advertising as Golelorn the original poster on that thread has shared his shader source
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/223391.
fubar
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 23:19 Edited at: 6th Mar 2019 23:19
Thanks for all the tips . Think I'm gonna invest in the shader pack from TGC on steam . Gotta start somewhere and I think it'll give me an understanding of what it's all about . Not sure if it'll be compatible with the studio addition but I hope so as I can see myself upgrading in the not too distant future .
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 23:20
good man
Tier 1 Developer
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2019 01:21 Edited at: 7th Mar 2019 01:21
Hi there. Just made a test with texture projection...could be good to make some kinda Mars terrain

I'm not a grumpy grandpa

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 05:17:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 05:17:08