Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Worley Noise

Author
User Banned
Posted: 4th Mar 2019 18:49
OK, we have Perlin Noise, Simplex Noise and just seen Worley Noise.

I shall try and implement this later in the year

Tier 1 Developer
xtremi
Years of Service
User Offline
So many cool things to do with noise, so little time to do it!
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 20:30 Edited at: 6th Mar 2019 20:31
Looks a bit like animated Voronoi Tesselation moving the vertices of a Terrain

Guess what...It's a shader
But I like my Gerstner Waves more
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 20:40
Quote: "Guess what...It's a shader"

Shaders def are a cool approach but to us mere mortals they are hard lol im still very much trying to learn from other shaders and most do my head in

PS your Gerstner waves are really cool and il def use them as I have purchased your shader pack but the prob I have with the shader pack as I think many
do if I just want to use one or two of the shaders some require the whole lot to be installed to be able to make use of them. I love the shaders that have
been kept separate in the pack as to me that makes them more useable. And I must admit I haven't studied the code to see how easy I can just use one
or two of the terrain based shaders as these seem to be my main issue. but on the whole the shader pack is very good and great value just hard to use
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 21:03
A Parabolic effect on a terrain mesh it applies a sine curve on one axis just not so sure it will work too well for real time you should recognise some of the code
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 21:09
Wow - thanks all you guys for your inputs.. Shaders is definately not with me at the moment, but looks really looks awesome

and thanks Fubarpk for your little snippet, i have seen the parabolic snip before now, but does take a few seconds to implement new height fields on a mesh, so wouldnt be good for real time stuff.. A predefined terrain model perhaps.

Thanks for taking an interest...

Tier 1 Developer
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 21:45
Quote: "predefined terrain model perhaps."

that might work could perhaps use animation frames for a terrain

If that worked would make for a great terrain creator. Which really would just be an animating object wonder what the overheads for that would be like tho
curious to find out
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 22:04 Edited at: 6th Mar 2019 22:04
I did a perlin noise version somewhere which was quite fast in terrain changing

Let me know if you want me to dig that out - ive posted it a few times on many threads - but its based on traiangulated colours rather than textures
Tier 1 Developer
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 22:25
Just was thinking a sea effect could be done similar not so sure if perlin noise is the answer
as for the perlin noise based on triangulation you've posted, you post so much its hard to keep up so not sure if ive seen that one or not

I think an animated terrain ie object that was precalculated to do the wave effect might work well for low end machines, An animated
object in AppGameKit isn't that much larger than the object alone and im thinking the overheads mightn't be so bad and possible suitable to
older machines and possibly mobile devices. The problem being would have to create the animation and save as a format like .x. but the
time needed to create the animated sea isn't necessarily an issue. more how to create the .x format as .obj don't support animations.
A good animated sea could work well for sea born games and any land would have to be above of height of the sea object
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 22:32
Will have to think about animated objects more - i think it will still be the same rendering time

Here is the terrain I made with perlin

Press Space to make it move in just one direction at moment, but can be add more directions

Looks bloody crap really

Tier 1 Developer
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 22:47
Looks ok to me and works faster than thought I do recall it now
but not really an animated sea effect

fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 22:50 Edited at: 6th Mar 2019 22:54
Cause that Perlin.. This topic is Worley noise and im interested to see what that algorithm gives us... Time is taken up at present with the coming Comp

Then will take look at this after 18th March if you like

My brain can accept so much before it blows...
Tier 1 Developer
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2019 07:43
If you download this file http://users.tpg.com.au/subarpk/SEA.blend and load into blender
you get a sea animation using Blenders ocean modifier. Easy enough to modify too but unfortunately
trying to export the animation doesnt come accross i think a plugin or something to export animated
objects that use modifier. but just thought it was worthy of this thread , im not sure if it uses worley or
not tho. But could be a possible solution to having an ocean like in the video of the first post. Will come
back to it later as im sure it can be exported to fbx or .x animated somehow

fubar
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2019 11:37 Edited at: 7th Mar 2019 11:44
I realized that the Wiki entry for Worely Noise describes exactly what im doing in my shader, which isn't much...so thats done i guess
Do you want me to combine it with a terrain ?
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 7th Mar 2019 11:46
Hi fubarpk and jambo. Thanks for all your best efforts a d will certainly have a look at all examples and see if I can do it too with what we know about Worley. Definateky worth a go at blender animations too to see if can get that going to see if it's fast in playing through the wavy animation

And most Definateky worth having a shot janbo to apply the shader to a terrain. That be wow factor to us cause wouldn't have a clue on how to do that...

But I certainly will be having a go at emthis too when I get the chance x
Tier 1 Developer
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2019 00:38
Jambo def is incredible with his shader knowledge ide like to see it combined with a terrain
especially if it has settings that you can change the roughness of the ocean etc
fubar
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2019 10:00
The noise and movement functions are t the hard part, for an ocean like that the hard part (for me at least) are the normals.....not FIGURED OUT how to calc them realtime in a shader yet, so the movement would be there but lighting would be rubbish.
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2019 13:17 Edited at: 9th Mar 2019 13:21
@Santman: Well then here is the normal calculation and the Voronoi Tesselation shader

Get the neighboring heights (right,left,top,bottom) and this should spit out the normal.
One could take the center and right and top but that produces "sharper turns".

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 08:53:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 08:53:18