Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Any good reason for not putting up the pre-sale on Steam?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2019 20:14 Edited at: 4th Mar 2019 20:15
*FOR NOT PUTTING ON PRE-SALE ON STEAM
Hi,
I was just wondering why the is no pre-sale going on on Steam. Since you'll be releasing the Steam version anyway, wouldn't it be a good idea to do so?
AppGameKit 2018.10.10

iMac Book Pro, MacOS 10.14, Xcode 9.4.1;
iPhone 6, iOS 12; iPad (3rd gen), iOS 9.35; iPad Pro 12'9 (2nd gen), iOS 12.

Dell Precision T7400, Windows 7 Professional 64bit, Visual Studio Community 2017;
RobbSnow
Years of Service
User Offline
@Jerry - One big reason that I can think of is that people on Steam review products harshly, even early access. Those critical reviews don't go away and may frighten new customers.
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2019 17:34
I don't know the process for uploading to Steam and getting it approved by them but if it's anything like Apple you probably won't want to release something that's going to go through a lot of iterations with the updates.
OryUI - A WIP AGK2 UI Framework
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2019 14:34 Edited at: 8th Mar 2019 14:35
It is much harder to push updates very often to Steam and with the likely issues there will be during this alpha stage it makes more sense to keep the early versions closed to the TGC community and then go to Steam when ready. The TGC community are also more likely to post issues to GitHub and be understanding during the development process.
Windows 10, Intel i7 4.2 GHz, 16GB DDR4, NVIDIA RTX 2060

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 8th Mar 2019 15:06
Going to Steam with an Alpha will be a very bad idea - cause the external TGC community will just think what a pile of ...... - this dont work, that dont work, very poor product made- and will just put people off buying the product

Going to Steam would need to be a very polished engine with hardly no issues - or very very small ones.

Tier 1 Developer
Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 01:05 Edited at: 20th Mar 2019 01:06
Also the Steam Powered performs one process with the name "Green Light" which means even the "Application Game Kit Studio" will be finished it will need to pass the "Green Light" process which is something like the financial department of the "Steam Powered" will make a hidden survey and some research to evaluate the product and make some financial estimation of how many people are going to support this and if the "Steam Powered" and "The Game Creators" will have enough sales and "The Game Creators" will need to sign a special contract between them to see if the "Application Game Kit Studio" will be acceptable by their market place. ("Steam Powered" Marketplace which means and the positive reviews count a lot and "The Game Creators" don't want to have unfair negative reviews by publishing an incomplete product for now).
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 09:54
Wasnt greenlight stopped quite a while ago?
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 16:34
Yes, plus TGC is already an established seller on steam.

But, I'd agree that it isn't worth bothering with steam for an early alpha product.
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 18:43
I thought the Green Light was still active in Steam Powered. (Somewhere I have seen one game waited for Green Light. But they still do financial estimations and early access versions of games usually receive bad reviews).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 07:39:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 07:39:45