Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Classic Remake Gamejam Winnner Announced 3 pm UTC +1030 20th March

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2019 21:58 Edited at: 18th Mar 2019 21:59
I did a bit of work on graphics and built a Tiled map one day but just wasn't in a game dev mode enough to do any more since. Launched AppGameKit thought about the hassle closed it. Lol

Looks like there may be some completions though!
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 18th Mar 2019 22:00 Edited at: 18th Mar 2019 22:02
Dont worry about im sure... There will be another one soon im sure too.. it happened to quickly - start date was too short for anyone to pick it up and joined in at the last minute...
Tier 1 Developer
Riusz
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

I've no time to finish my game (GUI, Menu, sounds, levels,...). One the next jam I'll start from the beginning…
I leave a look of the progress on the attachement.

Riusz

Attachments

Login to view attachments
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 00:07
@Riusz looks as complete as the other entries so far
If you plan to enter I will need the files so as i can test etc
fubar
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 06:45 Edited at: 19th Mar 2019 06:56
Quote: "Deadline 1201 am UTC +1030 20th March which is midnight Tuesday for us Aussies"

I'm not sure when the deadline is for me but I saw the extension and started on this today :

Some of the features are in but i'm spent for now and wanted to show what i had thus far.

BTW, ~10 years ago, I started this. I'll finish one of them, some day

Errr... Kaboom!™ was never an Arcade game, per se. Alas, the 2600 and Channel 3 on the TV was all the Arcade I needed (unless I had a pocket full of quarters that I wanted to burn through)

Attachments

PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 07:43
Yeah,

I'm half done with a Missile Command clone, but today I've got a training that goes from 9-16 hrs, and I don't know if I can get the code done until tonight.

The problem is, the clone is running on the original arcade machine resolution 256x231, and I haven't found a solution yet to draw pixel lines for the missile flight paths.
Drawline doesn't work because it uses another resolution.
Using sprites would be a total overkill, because I would need hundreds of them to display a couple of lines.

Doing something on that low pixel level is harder than it seems lol

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 07:52 Edited at: 19th Mar 2019 08:29
Psy, how about a 1-pixel-wide sprite, say 1x100, and point & scale it as you need?

add: 1x1 works?

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 09:27 Edited at: 19th Mar 2019 09:49
Skroads.
The code is horrendous
It leaks memory like a sieve
None of the gameplay stuff like fuel/oxygen gravity is in there yet
Collision is hardly there at all. You can run right through the edges of tunnels
I might work on it a bit more at a later date.

As far as graphics are concerned. Most are mine but where iv'e used google images (backgrounds)
I made sure they were royalty free and processed them so they are different from the originals

Attachments

AlexD66
Silver Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 09:45 Edited at: 19th Mar 2019 09:47
Hey guys, I'm not sure when the deadline ends but I'm going to call this project done for now. A few things to note for others and future.

1) make sure you know what the core gameplay experience is. I just grabbed all the features 1 at a time and jammed them in as i came to them, so when it came to the core gameplay my code wasn't really optimal for it and so its a bit unstable
2) don`t spend long on the graphics. i took 15-45 mins per sprite and that`s time I'd have better spent organising my code.

anyway, here is the code, its mostly working, but when the levels ramp up it starts to become wobbly and you'll start to notice bugs. I have re-written the bar director code to be robust this morning, but obviously there is no way I'm going to be able to rewrite it in time. Whilst I'm pleased at what i've managed in 5 days or so, I'll hopefully take what i've learned and try to produce a better version soon.

Controls are cursors for movement and ctrl to deploy pints
Hope my code isn't too cumbersome to read, i've gone crazy with the comments!

Attachments

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 10:00
Really good additions here and look forward to see them come in. Times are a bit skew whiff for where ever we all are in the world compared to fubarpk and blinOk...

I'm sure been mentioned too that if projects are ready for fubarpk to add them as a zipped up project too otherwise will loose out

Good works so far for latest additions

To me I'm not 100% sure on the deadline time compared to Australia

Keep up good work guys
Tier 1 Developer
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 10:02
Maybe fubarpk could say "got 2 hours left" or similarm that night help the time scale
Tier 1 Developer
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 10:03
It's 3 hours from now
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 11:04 Edited at: 19th Mar 2019 11:06
Quote: "Maybe fubarpk could say "got 2 hours left" or similarm that night help the time scale "

if you do a google and ask what time is Adelaide Australia now google will know google knows everything google is god lol
So its midnight Adelaide Australia time

Entries received
Kaboom by virtual nomad
Skyroads by blinkok
tapper by AlexD66
Puzzler Carvup

will check for later versions after the time i may even leave it till the morning just to make sure I will post when its officially closed

Still waiting entries from

PSY
NZo

PS don't worry if entries aren't as finished as youd like it seems everyone in the same boat
fubar
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 16:08 Edited at: 19th Mar 2019 16:12
What? 3 hrs from now and your post was 10:00 in the morning Oo
I thought 23:59 CET today. Must've mixed up the time zone. Just came home from the training unit I had to attend to Oo
(edit) thread says it ends +1030 UTC 20th March?

@VIRTUAL NOMAD
Yeah, I also had that scale idea and already began coding it, but there wasn't enough time before I had to leave this morning
Will play around with it now and see if it works. Still got another option to try out.

PSY LABS Games
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 16:48
Just continue with your game anyway and upload it sooner rather than later. Its important that we have spent all thishard work and time on creating something to only miss out. It be nice to see what you came up with anyway
Tier 1 Developer
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 18:16
On it

PSY LABS Games
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 03:56 Edited at: 20th Mar 2019 04:48
Submissions Closed

There was a great range of entries which is both great but made it even more difficult to judge ive taken some time going through the entries
playing vidoes of what i though the originals was. ( iguess i shouldve asked wether it was arcade / atari amiga etc your remaking) but some
fantastic entries. With the entries i have received i do hope you plan to finish them off and perhaps submit to google play etc. Retro games
are often a big hit as they are making a comeback.

Entries Received
Kaboom by virtual nomad
Skyroads by blinkok
tapper by AlexD66
Puzzler Carvup

Categories being judged
1>closeness to the original
2>playability
3>difficulty involved to reproduce
4>completeness

Drumroll.........results

I encourage all contestants to try the other games
fubar
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 05:31
Awesome. Thanks everyone for participating. I gotta get and play the others now
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 05:46 Edited at: 20th Mar 2019 06:11
congrats, blink!!

and, good work, all. i haven't tried any of the entries yet, but they've all got my attention (as do the non-entries; please share! )

i definitely took an easy road knowing i had less than a day to put something out. it was good exercise, regardless. and, i learned a couple of things such as:

...where i'd never needed to use them before. alas, a quick search for sprite bleed led me to their power!

finally, thanks for setting this up, fubar. it was fun to be part of my first "jam" ever

btw, some art from my first game choice:

then, i started thinking it through (and figured i'd need to sort sprite depths, etc,) & quickly changed my mind. next time

Attachments

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 06:01 Edited at: 20th Mar 2019 06:16
Quote: "finally, thanks for setting this up, fubar. it was fun to be part of my first "jam" ever"

Your welcome

Ive awarded a gold badge to the winner and silver to second place, With the judging criteria I put in place
The first and second place both very well polished I chose the winner as it was allot more complete and included
allot of levels in a short time and was much harder to reproduce

I found it very close the last two entries. One obviously had allot more work than the other but I was finding
the playability let it down. While the other was much simpler to produce and was quite playable but wasn't
overly complicated to produce as I put in a difficulty to produce point system aswell

Thanks everyone for entering I have enjoyed judging and seeing the work in process. I encourage you all to
continue development on these games retro is making a comeback in a big way and im sure you could get
downloads from people

PS: Puzzler was the only one who added the keys (thanks Puzzler) the others I found myself looking at the code
to find the keys, that's partly my fault I should've requested people atleast say what the controls are before
uploading them and I didn't judge people differently because of it.
fubar
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 06:28
Just a note;
If you are compiling the skyroads game make sure the skyroads folder is at the same depth as the include folder like so
parent/skyroads
parent/include

Bask to checking out the other entries

chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 08:31
Congratulation blink0k
I'm not a grumpy grandpa
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 08:54 Edited at: 20th Mar 2019 08:55
For your next one, I think it would be interesting to explore your previous comments about size, and how technical they were. By that, I mean the games should be VERY limited in ways reflecting their challenges: must be 250 lines of code or less, media must not exceed 32kb etc.

Could be a very interesting way of appreciating the incredible work the original classics took.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 09:17
Well done blin0k

Awesome suggestion santman. I'll be up for that
Tier 1 Developer
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 09:39
AlexD66
Silver Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 11:31 Edited at: 20th Mar 2019 11:31
well done all, and well done for organising this. It was fun trying to work to a deadline and see what could come out. I am absolutely useless at art so personally i was quite pleased at how my sprites came out,it just took time

Just checking out the other entries and I noticed skyroads looked a lot like the old c64 game trailblazer and also the arcade game metrocross(which was the inspiration for trailblazer), both are also worth checking out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdWNNaa6XD4 <-- trailblazer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2GndYXg5Qk <-- metrocross

anyways I look forward to next time !
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 13:03
Quote: "For your next one, I think it would be interesting to explore your previous comments about size, and how technical they were. By that, I mean the games should be VERY limited in ways reflecting their challenges: must be 250 lines of code or less, media must not exceed 32kb etc."

Good idea open to all suggestions.

Il leave everyone a bit of a break before the next one that should allow ideas to come forth

I enjoyed seeing these evolve and it was really great to see how people solved some of the problems of the past games,
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 13:50
When we do another one. I'm up for centepede

Tier 1 Developer
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2019 06:22 Edited at: 24th Mar 2019 04:43
Congrats blink0k !

Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to compile a playable version before the deadline.
Next time I'll start earlier

I'm pretty busy this week, but at the weekend I'll finish a working but very basic version and upload it.

PSY LABS Games
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2019 01:18 Edited at: 14th Jan 2024 19:42
Finally found some time to finish my entry.
Didn't add some planned elements like attack planes and branching missiles, because the competition was already over.

It's completely playable and should be bug-free ( I hope )
It uses the original resolution of the Missile Command Arcade Cabinet ( 256 x 231 )

How to play:
- You either need a 3-button mouse ( 1 button for each launch site ), or you can just use A, S and D on your keyboard to fire missiles
- Destroy enemy missiles before they reach your cities or launch sites
- If all cities are destroyed, the game is over

There are 7 wave phases ( 1/2...3/4...5/6...7/8...9/10...11/12/13/14....and BEYOND MAYHEM )

(edit) New version with highscore, ASD keys and new coin sound

Screenshots:

Any feedback appreciated!

Have fun,
PSY

PSY LABS Games

Attachments

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2019 02:06
A shame there weren't more entries. I would've liked to enter, but I simply don't have the time these days.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2019 02:24
very nice, PSY. i'm glad you finished it up!

for some reason, i remembered the original in black and white. i've since looked at the specs and my memory has failed me i think i'm blurring it with another trackball game that took more of my quarters than MC.

btw, take a look at some of the dip switch settings which reveal some sadistic options!

otherwise, gameplay felt pretty much spot on** and brought back certain (panicky) memories after a couple of tries, i made it to wave 11 with 8,975 points which made me realize there's no "high score" feature (i'll add it if i can't live without it ).

**my only other complaint is the use of the mouse buttons vs keys which i think would take it closer to the original "feel" (with a USB trackball being the only thing left to complete the experience).

finally, i never knew that i live/d in or near all of the 6 cities represented in MC. if you hadn't made this, i would have never known so, thanks for that, and sharing

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2019 03:08
That is awesome PSY
fubar
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2019 17:18 Edited at: 25th Mar 2019 17:24
@Virtual Nomad
Thanks man. Yeah, I'm glad too I finished it. Would've haunted me forever
I pulled the original manual some time ago and found the dip switch settings. Wonder if anyone ever tinkered with these
Like you, I only found out about the 6 cities recently, when pulling info about MC. Pretty scary Oo

P.S. I built in a rudimentary highscore and added A, S and D to fire missiles.
I also added a simple coin sound.
Download has been updated in my previous post.
Enjoy!

@fubarpk
Thank you, I'm glad you like it

PSY LABS Games
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2019 23:03
Plays really well PSY (my poor scroll wheel button lol)
definately the kind of thing i was looking for as an entry

The next comp il probably start a new thread just want to iron out stricter rules and judging criteria
but keeping with the original classic theme

if someone else wants to be the judge im happy with that to, start a new thread and il change the icon etc
not so sure if i can get my head into entering one at this point of time but happy to judge or sidebench

PS if your going to start a thread for this just outline the rules and guidlines clearly, I think two weeks works
well for the time limit as it's allowing 2 full weekends for thos that dont have the time through the week to code

fubar
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2019 00:14
I could judge so that you can join in the competition. As I said, I don't have much time for programming these days but I could take a few minutes to go through entries.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2019 01:40 Edited at: 26th Mar 2019 02:27
PSY, thanks for the additions. it's now complete in my book. about the only thing you might add is player 2? otherwise, consider posting in the AGK Showcase to make it easy for others to search/find?

AlexD66, do i have to do something more than be at the end of the bar when the empty glass reaches me? i'd say ~10% of the time, i'll be waiting plenty early, the glass gets to me and i miss it somehow. maybe i need to face it? Otherwise, the sudsy intro is great. eagerly awaiting further progress

blink, i don't remember ever playing skyroads. if i had, i would have thought iron maiden stole a few notes from the soundtrack and added it to one of their tracks (the first 10-15 secs of each).

otherwise, yours is a good play. i'll have to print the maps to refer to if i expect to see much of it, tho. but, the work you put into it shows

PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2019 06:52
Thanks again guys for the feedback, appreciated

Quote: "consider posting in the AppGameKit Showcase to make it easy for others to search/find? "

Done

PSY LABS Games
houndog66
Years of Service
User Offline
@virtual nomad yeah it's because the bars are different lengths, sometimes when you are at the bottom bar you are not quite left enough to catch them by default, I have an algorithm to position you but i think its a few pixels short for the bottom bar, you can fix it by just running left slightly as it approaches for now I have been continuing on with development of Tapper and completely refactored the code to be much better and more stable, have also added 3 new npc's and the dancing girls from the original version.I've even found a tutorial for playing "oh susanna" which is the music for tapper, so I'm considering learning how to play it so it can be added! Then it's just tidying up the code and I'll post it
AlexD66
Silver Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2019 09:23
sorry, turns out i have 2 forum accounts, one for my old email address and agk2 and 1 for my purchase of AppGameKit studio. So the above reply was still me. again sorry!
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2019 14:02
@hounddog

it would be great to see what changes you have made
but do not upload with any media that you do not own the rights to distribute,
the theme song "oh suzzana" while it may be great to have I doubt you have
the rights to publish and TGC have strong views on sharing copyrighted media

fubar
AlexD66
Silver Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2019 14:09
whilst I've no intention of breaching the forum rules :

Quote: ""Oh! Susanna" is a minstrel song by Stephen Foster (1826–1864), first published in 1848. "

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that its out of copyright the only way i could breach copyright here is if I used someone else's version but If i do it myself then we are good (apart from you'd have to hear my piano playing )
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2019 20:27
Really sad that I wasn't able to add my entry, as I didn't have time to replace the sprite rips I was using.
I am glad to see the great entries (missile command was my favourite!) and that we should be able to make some more compos soon.

I was in the process of acquiring this so was adjusting my priorities!

Until next time!

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2019 22:52
That is one very well rounded game PSY. Great gameplay!
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 26th Mar 2019 23:11
Hello - well done everyone - i am having a bit of a time out and will come back soon with a little "finished" project, promise

Tier 1 Developer
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 26th Mar 2019 23:25
I love to try and help people - but ill stop and concentrate on my own projects.. Sorry to all - sincerely sorry

Tier 1 Developer
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 26th Mar 2019 23:33
Forth coming from us

Tier 1 Developer

Attachments

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2019 02:12
@ puzzler2018 - Please stop double and triple posting. There have been some complaints. Thanks
Senior Software Engineer - RotoGrinders
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2019 06:18
Thank you nz0 and blink0k

@nz0: that's a damn nice ride

PSY LABS Games

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 07:21:51