Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Thingy game in progress (suggestions?)

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 03:31 Edited at: 21st Mar 2019 14:57
THINGY
lol firstly not sure what else to call it atm

but the idea of the game is to collect the red amoebas avoiding bumping the green amoebas
once you have all the red ones you go to the next level

Ive been playing with different effects mostly shaders, the line shader was perfected with the
wonderful help of janbo.

Edit video removed for space please see last post

Any suggestions people have will be greatly appreciated hoping to make it one of those little fun games
that don't require lots of thought to play. Simple and addictive is the aim. not sure if il keep the starflame
and if il use the agklogo yet. Not really sure about how il make the game pan out so im reaching for some
suggestions from all you skilled people out there. Also thinking the amebas will need some kind of
animation i tried a number of shaders for the ameba sprites but nothing looking right
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 07:10
That's looks like a really fun game x we'll done for getting to that stage
Tier 1 Developer
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 07:59
Thanks still playing with effects as im still not sure which way il take it
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 17:04 Edited at: 21st Mar 2019 14:57
Made some more changes now there is a gameover scene and nextlevel scene
still lots to do.

any suggestions anyone?
fubar
GaborD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 17:55 Edited at: 5th Mar 2019 17:57
I like it, nice clean and simple to play, perfect for a quick mobile gaming session.
Great beam effect!
The colors feel switched, generally in games green means safe to pick up and red is bad, so at first glance it seems a bit weird, but no biggie. A few seconds and the player is attuned.
Same for the screens, the positive one is red/orange, the negative one green, which feels weird. (but this is just a nitpick)
The overall look of the level and game over screens is great. They really pop and grab you.
I would have suggested adding a bit of enemy variety (some that can't touch the entire beam (those ofcourse shouldn't go near the center), some with a different movement pattern), but I am not sure if that would hurt the overall clean design. So I am not sure. On the other hand it would add replayabiliy through more depth.
I don't think the amoebas need too much animation, a slight wiggle maybe and that's it, just to make them a bit more jelly-like. Maybe instead of just tweaking the shape, add an animated highlight? Not too strong, just a bit to make them look more alive.
Thumbs up, looks fun!
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 18:37 Edited at: 21st Mar 2019 14:58
thanks Gabor
I agree it was a bit weird so I switched it and the beam effect is now green
so you collect green avoid red and if you get red by mistake you get frizzled and the beam temporary changes to red

Quote: " would have suggested adding a bit of enemy variety (some that can't touch the entire beam (those ofcourse shouldn't go near the center), some with a different movement pattern),"

ATM your allowed to touch 3 red on a level any more than that and you die that kinda gives you some grace as some can be really hard to get

There is also a grace period at the start of each level where you cant be hurt by any baddies

Quote: "I don't think the amoebas need too much animation, a slight wiggle maybe and that's it, just to make them a bit more jelly-like. Maybe instead of just tweaking the shape, add an animated highlight? Not too strong, just a bit to make them look more alive."

Still playing with them to make them look right think the amebas look a bit better now

fubar
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 21:03
When you touch a green bug, the base of you glowy line would start from that position.
I wonder if that would add some depth to the gameplay
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2019 21:52 Edited at: 5th Mar 2019 22:33
Quote: "When you touch a green bug, the base of you glowy line would start from that position."

cool idea just not sure how to change the start position

this is the shader for anyone that wants to have a go at adding a start position
fubar
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 02:08
Looks like a lot of fun, and i really like the beam effect.

I'd like to see more enemy variety and escalating difficulty. These types of games tend to only keep replayability if the challenge ramps up.

Power up / power down effects would be good also, like a blue bug that slows the other bugs down for a few seconds and a yellow bug that impairs your control of the beam for a few seconds
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 02:11
nice thoughts Ortu I shall have a think about how best to achieve something like that
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 02:52 Edited at: 21st Mar 2019 14:58
green is the idea to collect them
blue ones which slows them all down for a brief sec
the yellow ones invert the mouse
red are just plain bad collect 3 red and you lose

fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2019 15:07
I decided to make some change to Thingy

It works fine in windows but when I try on android on my old phone the frame rate drops
and it loses collisions

Would anyone like to test and tell me if it works ok on their phone/tablet the link is below
http://users.tpg.com.au/subarpk/thingy.zip
If you do can you also report what android version your using and what is the specs of the device

Thanks in advance
fubar
JosephB
Years of Service
User Offline
fubar,

Neat game. The thingy would not stay with my finger on my Android phone or iPad. On the phone thingy was maybe halfway across the screen to where my finger was touching. I could easily touch an ameba with just my finger, while thingy was not at that location. I tested it on a Samsung Galaxy S8 with 64 GB of storage, which 44 GB are free. Memory is 4 GB of which 2 GB are free. It is using Android version 8.0.0. I did not notice the FPS being low as it seemed to lay fine on the phone other than the collisions with the thingy.

On my iPad, play was worse. There seemed to be some FPS drop as thingy would really not follow my finger and things happened that I could not determine why as I was not touching anything, but the amebas reacted anyhow. The iPad (6th generation-2018 model) uses iOS version 12.1.4. It has 128 GB of storage with 109 GB free.

I hope this is helpful.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2019 15:59 Edited at: 21st Mar 2019 16:02
Thanks JosephB
Just curious did you try and keep your finger on the devices as if it was a mouse. As I find it follows my finger correctly just
that the collisions don't work. Also if you bump a yellow Amoeba it reverses the mouse so if your have your finger to the right
of the screen the thingy (lol best name I have for it) should be across to the left

Havent had allot of success with shaders and mobiles/tablets but really didnt expect the frame rate drop like that on your ipad.
The only game ive successfully done with a shader that worked well for mobile was my pixelated labrynth game.

Thanks for testing
fubar
AlexD66
Silver Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2019 16:09
tested it too and the line started near the bottom left of the screen on my galaxy S5. The line followed my finger fine but often just ignored collisions (does the shader change the colour of the line when it touches? if so i often saw the line change to the colour of the ameoba i was touching even though it wasnt detecting the collision ) . Worked well in windows though .
JosephB
Years of Service
User Offline
fubar,

You are welcome. I did not lift my finger, just dragged it across the screen on both devices on the first few attempts. Thingy was not able to stretch to the position where my finger touched the screen, as always seemed to be about halfway to that point from its point of origin. The yellow bumping seemed to work fine. Collisions seemed to work when my finger touched an ameba, even without thingy at that position. I could even lift my finger and then place it on a green ameba and score the points, while thingy was no where near.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2019 16:34
Thanks AlexD
The shader changes color when it touches a different color Amoeba

Thanks JosephB
I think that might just be the way the emulated mouse works as to just click amoeba etc
not sure why the thingy was nowehere near as that part it could be the FPS or it might
be the way the shader is working.

There is a collision sprite thats invisible and seperate to the shader so that explains the collisions working

ohwell might just put it back on my todo list lol maybe make a html game out of it as then it would have
proper mouse

Thanks everyone
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2019 06:12
Ive now got a web-based version available to play. Which works well with the browsers ive tested in Windows
http://users.tpg.com.au/subarpk/HTML5/Thingy.html
fubarpk
fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2019 06:39
Woah, nice effect.
An Amoebeam

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2019 06:50 Edited at: 22nd May 2021 03:24
Thanks PSY its a shader that janbo helped me get it working in AGK

I found I had to export as 2D and 3D to get it to work in HTML5 along with other minor changes
I think when you using a shader you have to use the 3D export option even tho there is no 3D in
the program

thingy.ps
fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2019 20:02
Very nice!
I started to play around with some basic shaders some time ago, but put it on hold b/c of RL stuff.
Later this year, I'm gonna have plenty of time to have a closer look at it

Thanks alot for the export tips and shader code, very much appreciated !

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 14:16:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 14:16:05