Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Daggerfall clone attempt

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2019 10:50 Edited at: 11th Mar 2019 10:52
Hey guys,

I know that a lot of the things I'll be exploring have already been done and done a lot better however, I digress!

What am I doing?
Recently, I seems to have fallen in love with an old classic - Daggerfall. Now, I've never actually played it however from the videos i've seen it looks really cool.
It also looks seemingly obtainable as far as indie development is concerned. (Scale aside)

I've become obsessed with the idea to create my own engine in pursuit of learning AppGameKit and it's tier 2 framework. (It's also an excuse to learn more about C++)

This project is more about personal learning than having a purpose, and as such anything I complete about the engine will be publicly available in due time.

Project breakdown
For the first stage, I'm designing a simple 'map editor' so that I can create dungeons and landmass on the fly.

I've begun with a simple, single layered grid and placement object.
Currently, I can place objects over the top of one another and the raycasting isn't perfect but it's definitely a start and a good foundation and they're not hard to fix.

I've currently got the functionality to place an object within the grid - with the current defect of being able to place on top of each other.

Looking to the future
Once i've got the small bugs tightened up, then it's time to move the object placement code into an independent class so that I can switch object types as well as
control a whole bunch of other properties.

Also to add the ability to select, modify and delete currently placed objects.

after the editor is more fleshed out, it'll be time to add in a physics camera controller as a base for the character and assign some simple properties to move around
a 'map editor' level.

Final words
If anyone has any questions etc feel free to ask.

This is simply a way I can document a project and also a way to force me to complete something as I have a tendency to move on to other projects without finishing.

Cheers
Real programmers don't comment their code, because if it was hard to write it must be hard to read!

- PixHil Entertainment
Download Pixel Smasher on the App Store today!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2019 13:57
Quote: "I have a tendency to move on to other projects without finishing."

That sound very familiar to me
@Divided Good luck with your project.
I'm not a grumpy grandpa

Login to post a reply