Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Can you show us the Studio Roadmap?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 15:03
The emphasis so far has been on the new IDE which should help us programmers in certain areas of app development but details are lacking for where Studio is going.
Linux platform has been mentioned, export to HTML has been skirted around and almost nothing said on the expansion of the command base which everything is based upon.
You must have ideas on where Studio is going, so for those who have not yet been convinced, can you shed some light.
Thank you.
Sh4d0xx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 18:25 Edited at: 19th Mar 2019 21:22
Quote: "but details are lacking for where Studio is going."

Quote: "expansion of the command base which everything is based upon."

Very good points.

Moving forward, we cannot continue to swim in dark waters.

Those who spend money to TGC products should at least know where things are heading (look at the Visual Editor for example, which has been clearly abandoned).

I spent money on it and it hurts me real bad knowing it has been trashed.
Sh4xx
Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 18:30 Edited at: 19th Mar 2019 18:33
I Agree with this Post too.
Do the commands from Application Game Kit Classic will be the same for Application Game Kit Studio and what are the differences between them except the nice IDE.
What kind of new commands will be added and what new features will be added in programming level.
Playing a little with the new IDE it looks like the Unity IDE in early stage. Do the Application Game Kit compete with the Unity 3D editor and with the Unity Engine in generic?
The release will be in 3 months or less at the time I published this post. What new things there will be if we compare the Classic with the Studio?
This post is not about the IDE only is about all generic and new features that planned to be added plus speed comparison and support of the new technologies.
What is the difference between this new Vulcan engine and the current Classic OpenGL.
For example the Dark Basic Pro served us for many years. Do this will be the next Dark Basic? Or the Next Unity?
What about the plugin compatibility with nice old legacy plugins?
Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 18:37
And something else. We need one time schedule plan.
What kind of product do will have at the release day after 3 Months. (The Same Application Game Kit just with the new IDE or something more advanced?)
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
I also agree, would be nice to know what to expect and when.
I'm on the fence waiting for any news on the integrated level editor. Would be nice to know If I can expect it this month, next month, at release or sometime after release.
It doesn't need to be definite but at least some highlight what the plan is, what to expect.

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 19:38
Integrated level editor? When was that announced?
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
@Santman It was announced in the news letter and you can also see on the product page at the bottom "SCENE EDITOR (in development)"
But nothing have been confirmed about it only that it is coming.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2019 22:29
Ah......that's just a 2d editor I think. I know lots of people are asking for a game guru style editor built in, thought I'd missed something.
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2019 21:13
Well, a Scene Editor in my interpretation can't be a 2D editor, otherwise they could have just added the Visual Editor, but who knows.
All we know is that Preben is involved in the whole thing also and I think he's a bit more 3Dish orientated.
Also the properties are also using x,y,z for instance, which already lays out the base for something like that.

Fingers x-ed.
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually it have been confirmed in an other topic the level editor will be 2D only there is no plans for a 3D editor for now as far as I know.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2019 14:18
This seems to close the issue then, short term at least.

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/224061

Rik, your testing the world builder though, aren't you? It basically is a 3d scene editor, you don't HAVE to use its landscape or water or anything, you could use it to place 3d objects then save it off, and load it in as you wished your own projects. Actually that's a thought.. ...selective exporting for just the content you want.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2019 15:01
Hi,

With a product such as AppGameKit Studio there are so many directions we can take it. For now we are focused on the new IDE and the Vulkan engine. Both of these are considerable developments and require our full focus and feedback from the users who have pre-ordered.

The Vulkan engine is a significant undertaking and has required a lot of research. Unlike OpenGL we have to do a lot more management of resources with Vulkan which adds to it's complexities.

Let us get to June and then we can start planning our next moves for the product. We'll be all ears and we'll engage again with the community to find out the most important needs and wants.
Development Director
TGC Team
Battoad
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2019 13:59 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2019 18:23
@ RickV, thank you for your input, disappointed there is nothing else on offer as yet but it is basically what i was expecting.
To sum up, short term the new IDE and the Vulkan engine, although this is huge.
Medium term to add Linux platform.
Long term, well know body really knows just yet but sounds like we might have a say.

The new IDE clearly adds some brilliant bells compared to the Classic version, but will be missing some whistles. Export to HTML being the obvious and who knows what else until i try.
But I am sure this could be added at a later date.
I suppose i can still use Classic if there is a feature i need to use in the medium term.

I was disappointed with how slowly the Classic command base expanded but maybe with this added revenue we might see an improvement in this area.

So I am voting with my heart and not my head and confirm my decision to purchase since i believe TGC will deliver.
One more on board.

Good luck TGC.
Vectrex71CH
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Mar 2019 15:44
Are the Classic DLCs (In example the VR Commands ) compatible with AppGameKit Studio ? Or do we have to buy VR Studio 2.0 ?
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2019 16:52
@Vectrex71CH most of the classic DLCs will work with Studio. The only uncertain one is the Shader pack, we'll know later on if that will still work.
Development Director
TGC Team
Vectrex71CH
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Mar 2019 13:21
@RickV

Thank you for your answer ! Great to hear, that the most DLCs will work ! Thats cool !!

Mdj
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2019 14:08
Specifically what features of Studio are aimed at Tier 2 coders?

I either invest $60 now which may not be worth it in the long run.
Or I invest the same $ and save $40 later.
Not purchasing the studio software seems like the safer alternative however.
Thanks for reading.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 11:38:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 11:38:26