Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Visual Editor AGK Studio

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Everyone
I don't want to let a argument take fire, but just curious to know about the Visual Editor.
I bought it when they release it, and tried it once, and stop using it.
They havn't release updates or nothing,..... so AGKS will be used as the new "Editor"

Love AGKS though......

Cheers
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 5th Apr 2019 15:50
was there a question?
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2019 18:58 Edited at: 5th Apr 2019 19:06
The editor in AGKS at the moment generate pure AppGameKit Tier1 code that is totally compatible with the Classic version.
So you can take your Studio project with all the scenes and open it in Classic and export the Studio project to all platforms including HTML5 and Linux from the Classic version.
However, it is alpha, so compatibility with the Classic version of AppGameKit may going to change, AGKS is never meant to be a new "level editor" or IDE for Classic. It is a completely new, stand-alone product that may lose compatibility with the Classic version at any time.
DannyD
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, My Question
What will happen to Visual Editor now?

Cheers
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2019 04:12
I'd assume that the Visual Editor is essentially being Superseded by the Scene Editor Functionality in the new AppGameKit Studio IDE.
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2019 10:23 Edited at: 6th Apr 2019 10:30
Quote: "What will happen to Visual Editor now?"

It is dead and abandoned, if you take a look at the forum they even removed the flag from it topic and let it go which is a clear indication what is going to happen to it. TGC want to forget about it.
AGKS has it own editor and as I mentioned it is not meant to be a visual editor for Classic, even though it does work at the moment, compatibility may break in the future. As I also mentioned, AGKS is not just an IDE or a new editor but a new stand-alone product that currently is fully compatible with Classic but it may change in the future. Actually in my opinion it is a must if we want AGKS to evolve. Compatibility can not be maintained forever.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2019 13:38 Edited at: 7th Apr 2019 13:39
Quote: "It is dead and abandoned"

Yet they are still selling it for $50 on the AppGameKit website and on Steam...

https://www.appgamekit.com/visual-editor

https://store.steampowered.com/app/650840/AppGameKit__Visual_Editor/

I felt they should had removed it from sale nearly a year ago when it was already clear there would be no major updates. I feel bad for the users who purchased it for $50 only to then be told they can order AGK:S for the same amount.
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2019 15:53 Edited at: 7th Apr 2019 15:59
Quote: " they should had removed it from sale...I feel bad for the users who purchased it for $50 only to then be told they can order AGK:S for the same amount."

Well, it is not unusual from them selling abandoned and sometime even broken tools unfortunately.

X-Quad Editor my biggest regret ever. Purchased with the hope making some games with no coding required only to realize the entire tool was broken I was getting runtime error when exporting the game. After contacting TGC, they only give me the email of the developer who did try to help me indeed but could not solve my problem but promised a new version is coming. I was waiting but by the time the new version arrived I did upgrade to Windows 7 but the new version was compatible with XP only so I never had a chance to use it. I did contact TGC but they did not offer any refund they told me to contact the developer, I did but the dev did not reply this time. I did not bothered and moved on.
After some time, I was curious though and did install XP on my machine only to try it and I was getting "runtime error". the same error message. So it was never fixed, it remain broken and sold like that for a long time.
They were continue selling X-Quad Editor for at least a year after my experience. I know it was not their tool, but I did report that it was broken and not functioning but they were continue to sell it.
I had similar experience with many DBP plugins too, they simply did not work with the latest version of DBP, though it was not their plugins but they were selling it regardless the fact they were abandoned, not compatible and broken.

At least they did a really great job with continue supporting and maintaining AppGameKit I hope it is continue with AGKS, but I would advice caution with buying AppGameKit DLC's from now on, even if told they are compatible it may not last forever. I hope TGC and 3rd parties going to update DLC's to be sold officially as AGKS DLC's and who already own them for Classic get a free key so we can add them to our AGKS lib and continue to get updates for AGKS.
DannyD
Years of Service
User Offline
Guys

I know how you feel, but really.. $50 .. I can live with that throwing it in the water.
I'm new to the gaming development, but coming from a Mainframe programmers background and database programming for almost 30 years
I spend average between 5000-10000 USD a year on upgrades and add-ons - even some they stopped developed after a few months. (You can PM me if you want to know in what programming language a work). Don't want to mention names/brands etc.)
You pay for every upgrade, every template, every single thing they do ... you will pay... no freebies... and we waited almost 1 year for a very bad bug in the software ... to be upgraded... (And we had to pay)
i've come accross a bunch of software that you buy and then they just disappear.
Research and development cost a lot of money, and I personally think for what we get for the price of AGK/AGKS and GameGury, it's really not bad.

I 've bought a 3d Printer in 2008 (Almost 3500 USD) from a VERY known Brand Company, just to find out 2 months down the line, when searching for a replacement board, it's discontinued
and there is a new Printer on the market... (No body EVER informed me, not even the company , when I bought the printer)
Think that's a valid reason to complain, right?

I'm sure all of us at some stage in our life, bought something for a few bucks, and never really get the use for it as we expected.

Personally I think what the Guys do , with AGK/AGKS and Game guru it's worth every cent paid. I can live with the $50 I lost with Visual Editor...

Just my personal feeling
Cherio
Happy Gaming....
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2019 16:58
@Danny,

I tried the Visual Editor, and it was not what I expected. I am using PureBasic since 2006 or so and there where some Visual Editor projects from the community and they all where more advanced for button layout and GUI things. And! They where in most cases free or had cost less back then.
e.g.
https://www.reelmedia.org/purevision/index.php/purchase

Or PureFORM or the jaPBe (Just another PureBasic editor) (free)
http://www.purearea.net/pb/german/dll_devtools_c.htm

They were meant for GUI layouts, buttons and so on. And they generated code.

So the Visual Editor ... I guess, was not clear to be a FORM designer, but also was no Level-Editor.

Like "Tiled"
https://www.mapeditor.org/2018/09/18/tiled-1-2-0-released.html

There was a project here some time ago
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/219035

So I tried the Visual Editor, but never used it for my own projects, because it didn't made my work easier. App Game Kit has not the same beauty with its gadgets like PureBasic has, you would have to create your own UI system and elements for your own tools.

And if you want to create a little bigger game than only a game on one static screen, you would need a more advanced editor.

Also you could write a little object placement editor for yourself, with maybe some default values. You would maybe use TEXT for an button-element or a sprite and you could create a grid or something like that.
A lot of the functions the commands are offering are not implemented in the Visual Editor, so you are ending with coding a lot as well.

I also thought about, using the Game Maker Studio editor, and translate the XML (GMX) ROOM data to AppGameKit commands.

Also funny and doable idea was, to use Scratch
https://scratch.mit.edu/

Scratch as your placement editor, and you can save your Scratch file, it is a ZIP file that contains a JSON and the Sprites and the JSON contains the X, Y, Scale and so on and names and image-names of the Sprite and also other source code.

So the Visual Editor at the end cam to late, offered not much, and made in my opinion more work than it helped the development. Also you would need to have your own thing, if you want to have some 3D in the same project or so.

For me it was more like a donation than a purchase.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 05:26:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 05:26:35