Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Opinions Needed : Which games should I put in my project ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Doom II
Posted: 6th Apr 2019 10:40 Edited at: 6th Apr 2019 10:45
Hiyas,
I've recently put my (undisclosed at that point) current project on temporary hold in order to take a break from it and do something smaller but also completely different.

Here are the details
My idea was to develop a small FPS game about the adventures of a random character who is stuck between dimensions, which would be in fact a faint recollection of FPS games from the early to mid nineties.
My problem however is that I don't know which games I should pick. There are LOTS of great FPS games from that period. I know I won't be able to satisfy everyone, that's impossible.

Basically, here's the list I have so far
Wolfenstein 3D
Doom
Heretic
Hexen
Quake
Blood
Duke Nukem
Quake 2
Half-Life
Unreal

You probably guessed it at that point
I don't know know what to do and which ones to represent. Should I focus only on id Software's titles or should I include only a few of them, with, let's say two from other studios ?
For instance, I don't know if I should keep both Doom and Quake 1 since both are very similar games featuring a dude fighting hellish/occult spawn.

I'm waiting for your answers, thank you !
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quake and half life has been my fav games from the past.
I'm thinking quake could be more doable in fpsc.

Hope you find what you looking for.

Best s4real
Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2019 13:05
Quake or Doom.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2019 14:08
I always preferred Quake myself
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Location: You know that space between a dresser and the floor ? Yeah, that's where
Kaelyss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2019 14:23 Edited at: 6th Apr 2019 14:24
Thank you for your replies, (let's hope other members will reply)
However, I forgot to say that I'd like to put at least five levels, each based on one specific game.

I'd probably go for Wolfenstein 3D myself.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 6th Apr 2019 14:24
Quake... but it had a story? I guess I missed that.
Or are you trying to mix some game styles from your list?
Quote: "I don't know if I should keep both Doom and Quake 1 since both are very similar games featuring a dude fighting hellish/occult spawn"

I find Doom to be very simplistic in style, while Quake has much more atmosphere and submersion. Doom would be easier to do, but both styles are a good target for FPSC.
Kaelyss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2019 14:31
In fact, I'd like to make a 5 level game with FPSC. With each level supposed to represent a popular FPS from the nineties.
Levels won't be carbon copies of the actual games but will be based upon them, whether it be through sound design or visuals.
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2019 16:24
Man, you have the most perfect idea for your game. My selection for you would be -

1. Doom 1/2
2. Quake 1/2
3. Half-Life
4. Wolfenstein 3D/Spear of Destiny
5. Blood/Duke Nukem/Shadow Warrior

WIsh you all the best of luck with your project.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2019 23:52
Quake 1 or 2 would be easier to replicate in FPSC and has more in common with those engines.

Personally I'd love to see Doom replicated in FPSC. It would be more of a challenge with the sprites and such but it would be amazing to see.
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2019 10:21 Edited at: 15th Apr 2019 11:24
Recreating anything more advanced than Wolf3D in FPSC would be a challenge since it has little to no freeform level geometry tools. FPSC's segment system essentially works the same as Wolf3D's block system so its a natural fit.
Getting the scale right for Doom or Quake would be a hassle, and to create the complex AI interactions of Half Life would be impossible. FPSC also has no controls over movement that could recreate the feeling of classic shooters. Blood without its movement isn't Blood.
Honestly remaking some of the god awful Wolfenstein Engine games by Capstone would be the easiest and the only way to make anything in FPSC that would be an improvement upon the originals. Its a bit sad to say this but the engine can't do much more than that well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWG_uSwIqsw

[edit] Actually I forgot that Chasm: The Rift was basically a 3D equivalent to a Wolf3D engine game as it is just 2D arranged blocks with 3D graphics. That would be a good fit for FPSC
If something compiles on the first try. Something is terribly wrong.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2019 18:04 Edited at: 16th Apr 2019 18:05
Yeah so Wolf3D would definitely be the most natural fit and easist to replicate but Doom would be the bigger win.

Doom had excellent AI for the time so that would be a challenge even if you got the enemy sprites imported and working. The level design style is definitely possible with some curved and angled segments, slopes and pillars etc. Even if you go for Wolf3D you've got to tackle the sprites.
Kaelyss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2019 05:56 Edited at: 17th Apr 2019 06:18
The point was not to make a carbon copy of those games, only to recreate their atmosphere.
But anyway, I think Uzi Idiot is right, I shouldn't bother myself doing that. Doom AI is way too advanced for FPSC, and Duke levels are massive, I probably won't make it. I Better keep working on my project.

However that's funny you're talking about Chasm, Uzi, because I often wondered if it was possible to achieve a clone/remake of it using FPSC.
Kuryle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2019 19:43
Quote: "@ uzi idiot : Recreating anything more advanced than Wolf3D in FPSC would be a challenge since it has little to no freeform level geometry tools. FPSC's segment system essentially works the same as Wolf3D's block system so its a natural fit."

FPSC can reach the level of map making similar to today's games using modular design and creating all geometry as segments . But as you wrote, it can be, and is quite a challenge.

Quote: "@ Nomad Soul : Personally I'd love to see Doom replicated in FPSC. It would be more of a challenge with the sprites and such but it would be amazing to see."

FPSC does not have a sprite system, but you can do it in the 3D modeling program, using only the plane for each action. The real problem is to scan hits and perspective. You also need to create a large texture for animated characters.

Quote: "The point was not to make a carbon copy of those games, only to recreate their atmosphere. "

most atmosphere comes from gameplay mixed with visuals and sounds and from the young age if you played big games at that time

Personally, I think that
creating anything in the FPSC without creating original resources will be a copy and paste, just like almost any game created with FPSC. Of course, many independent developers use ready-made resources, but when the game is very unique and fun, you do not pay attention to the rest, like repeated models wich are also in other games

Unreal, in my opinion, has the best atmosphere at the time when Quake and DN were already done. Duke Nukem 3D has the best visual style of levels. Quake has the best feel of the gun, and Half-Life is a late game when you want to compare it with the rest.
As for me, I would simply choose the best moments from these games such as levels, characters etc. and I would fit them in 5 levels. The rest I would do not necessarily follow the pattern of what was already there. It can be done just like in Retro City Rampage.

Whatever you do, it would be nice to create one original game that could make the FPSC famous. Good Luck !
locecode
Years of Service
User Offline
Doom
KingMassen
Years of Service
User Offline
Heretic and Hexen! I remember playing those when I was very young, good childhood memories.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 09:01:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 09:01:18