Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Move3DPhysicsCharacterController( objID, x, z, velocity ) Velocity AND Amount to move by? What's the difference?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2019 21:07
Looking at the function:
Move3DPhysicsCharacterController( objID, x, z, velocity )

Docs:
https://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/Reference/3DPhysics/Move3DPhysicsCharacterController.htm

I'm using the X and Z Method. Does Velocity do anything in thise case? The description says
Quote: "x - The amount to move in the x direction, this will be normalised with the z direction
z - The amount to move in the z direction, this will be normalised with the x direction"

But then there's velocity. Isn't Velocity just speed based on mass?
Eisenstadt Studio: Eisenstadtstudio.com
Composers Page: Milesthatch.net
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2019 21:15
x and z are normalised so i would expect it to be looking for a value between -1 and 1 which is just to indicate which direction to apply the force then the velocity is the actual force to apply to the character in said direction (multiplied by the x and z values)
life's one big game
spec= i5 4ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia 1070ti gpu
Tobias_Ripper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2019 22:53 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2019 22:54
Ah, that would make sense actually.

I am experiencing pretty choppy camera movement at the moment though. Would you mind taking a look?
Using a Character controller:

The Set up:

The Loop Code:

The main issue is that the camera is choppy when the character controller is being moved:
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2019 00:12
looks like a frame rate issue to me, you're dropping quite a lot when you look down... can you show the example without frame rate drop or a version with a fixed frame rate (perhaps SetVSync(2) ) just to confirm?
life's one big game
spec= i5 4ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia 1070ti gpu
Tobias_Ripper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2019 16:13
Well this was actually same as when I had only a plane and 4 boxes in the scene. I'll take a look again though

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 11:04:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 11:04:11