Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / The "What are you working on ?" Thread.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Doom II
Posted: 26th Apr 2019 14:22 Edited at: 5th Jun 2019 16:04
Greetings,
I thought that would be dope if we had a place to show and share our most recent work done with FPSC, whether it'd be part of our current project(s) or not.

I really do like when people share their most recent discoveries or progress about a game engine, 'cause it can give inspiration to everybody.
I think this can be a very useful thread to talk about our most recent work without creating threads specifically about it.

Let's show and talk about what we are working on !

I open the thread by posting some screenies of a room from my current project (which isn't a game), (I will create a proper thread about it later, when it will be more advanced).
I'd like to thank Uzi Idiot for those awesome retro-styled shaders !

Everything you see on the scene, from urinals to stalls, use less than 180 triangles with 8-bit textures (supporting up to 256 colors) of a maximum resolution of 128x128. Except for the sinks which are approx. 400 tris each.

And here's a small bonus for the eye candy, just because I love doing that kind of stuff.

That's all for now.
Show us what you've got !

Attachments

Login to view attachments
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2019 00:41
Kaelyss Good idea for this thread. Two thumbs up Hope they don't lock it, as it's meant for a game "work in progress"
Anyway, Yes, a lot of people have great ideas and/or discoveries made with fpsc and no place to really showcase them.
Even if it's only a small thing, every little bit helps to keep the forum going
I should post some stuff. Working on a 3rd person & side-scrolling scripts. Kinda showcase the idea also.

As for your scene, looks good for so little tris and texture size. Amazing what fpsc can do and still look good.
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Location: You know that space between a dresser and the floor ? Yeah, that's where
Kaelyss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2019 04:13
Well, the section is described as it follows "Post your screen shots, maps, web sites and other cool FPSC related things here", so I doubt I'm violating th AUP with my thread, but we'll see about that later, there's even a similar thread pinned.

Yea, you definitely should (hopefully, other users will do the same) !

I saw your work, it looked good so far ! Thanks for the encouragement ! I'm pretty happy with the final result, man, it looks much better than I thought !
My polycount is at 5074, it's amazing (and not in a good way) to see how fast the polygon amount in FPSC can increase. Unfortunately I think I did everything I could regarding optimization.
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2019 03:48 Edited at: 30th Apr 2019 03:51
Was gonna post these in my WIP thread, but I love this idea! So I'll post some screenies here instead, of my current efforts on Escape the Place [working title]

Edit: Also, love your scene Kaelyss your optimization skills are glorious and look great with Uzi Idiot's shaders. I too love his shaders lol. If you are browsing this, ty Uzi Idiot

@Everyone who lurks these boards, show us your stuff! Make an account if necessary, its easy
Kaelyss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2019 06:26 Edited at: 1st May 2019 08:14
Haha, actually, I'm struggling to get that PS1-ish feel to my scenes, I think there's too much details for a game of this era.
I mean, using low-res textures and lowpoly models is a thing, having the right amount of detail in a scene is another.

You, Sir, seem to have serious lightmapping skills ! I'm not very fond of the all pitch black ambience, but it looks good from what I can see !
I love the colors on your last screenshot.

An idea that just came to my mind, have you thought about putting an hanging neonlight in front of that hole in the wall, right behind those iron bars ? 'could be very interesting, visually speaking.

Attachments

sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2019 01:46
Yeah, I hear you there! It's super hard to get that look...I take inspiration from handpainted backgrounds in PS1 games - they have a semi-high level of detail like FPSC but also look retro enough in design, i think.

Thank you! Lightmapping is my favorite thing and I try very hard with it. It actually is brighter on my monitor, though not by much. The ambience can be changed in-game with the + key; it cycles through 3 different ambience settings 3, 5, 8, and 9 i believe.

I like the look of that room already, and definitely plan to drap something there lol, but im tucking that idea away for later in the level
Kaelyss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2019 16:45 Edited at: 2nd May 2019 16:50
Quote: "I take inspiration from handpainted backgrounds in PS1 games "

There are PS1 games using paintings/drawings as pre-rendered backgrounds ?

I've been sick this week. I'm doing much better since yesterday, so I resumed working on my project.
Those screenies are from the first level.

sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2019 18:34
Check out these 2d backgrounds from Resident Evil 2:

Nice screenies Kaelyss, very atmospheric I don't claim to be an expert of any sort, but the only criticism I would give is to cast more shadows, and let the light "tell the story" of the room if that makes sense. Something from an art class I took that always stuck with me
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2019 18:37
Of course, Final Fantasy VII is one of the most famous hand painted background users of the PS1 era

Kaelyss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2019 04:57 Edited at: 19th May 2019 09:35
These are not paintings, it's pre-rendered CGI. I thought you were talking about actual paintings.
Well, having more visible shadows would mean lowering the ambience down to 0 or even 5.I know we can get nice effect doing this but that's something I never been too fond of. I find it to be very tiresome to the eyes and rather unrealistic (physically, you can't have pitch black shadows in a lit room).
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2019 01:39
Ah, RE2 & Final Fantasy VII . I miss those days Old memories.
Location: You know that space between a dresser and the floor ? Yeah, that's where
Kaelyss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2019 03:43 Edited at: 11th May 2019 17:25
Greetings !

I was bored so I've thrown this together 10 minutes ago... nothing too fancy, I've rigged Cyborg Art's pickaxe on Errant Ai's anims.
The pickaxe looks huge, for some reason and the rig itself isn't perfect (the fingers clip through the pickaxe's body).
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2019 16:34
@ Kaelyss
Quote: "The pickaxe looks huge, for some reason"

Do you have Fragmotion ? or some other modeling app ? This happens sometimes for whatever reason
but it's a simple fix of just adjusting the hud.x size down the a bit in a modeling app.
Other wise, YES, smash some windows with that pick. It always makes me feel better
Kaelyss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2019 17:22 Edited at: 11th May 2019 17:24
ncmako wrote: "but it's a simple fix of just adjusting the hud.x size down the a bit in a modeling app."

This is what I did (I use Milkshape 3D for rigging, UVmapping and swapping, Fragmotion's interface is way too arcane for me)
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2019 16:24
Good thing you started this thread. This will keep a lot of people motivated. Heck, it's even motivating me a little bit.
Pvt.Dan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2019 06:39 Edited at: 4th Jun 2019 06:40
Well I'm kinda working on a W.W.II game based in North Africa during 1940, 1941 and 1942. It will include an American campaign, an Italian campaign and British. Nothing much to say about it now, but I'll post some news someday
Medal of Honor

Attachments

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 5th Jun 2019 03:29
@ Kaelyss
Nice screens. I like the style.

I'm working (slowly) on some new media for a DOOM-like game. I'm going old school... low quality textures, minimal light mapping, no shaders.
I'm building and using an app to create/edit rooms and other game segments called "MOOD Room Editor" in keeping with the DOOM-like theme.
When all is done, I hope to release the media, a level map, a short 1-2 level game, and the MOOD Room Editor.

Hey! It keeps me busy

Attachments

Kaelyss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2019 16:03
Nice, I can't wait to see this being finished, I'm very much a sucker for retro games !
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2019 19:38
This thread is A-OK to stay open here. Nice work keeping the torch lit!
-Keith
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2019 23:53
@ Explosys Awesome I have a feeling "Constructor" is making a twisted come back Yes/No, maybe ?

@ KeithC Thank you, I was hoping the thread was Ok Always nice to see others ideas.
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2019 16:04
@Pvt.Dan You level design is getting a really awesome man!

@Xplosys Wow! Your screenies look really great!

Kaelyss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2019 06:24
Thank you KeithC !

Here's even more random stuff I'm currently working on.

Pvt.Dan
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Mriganka

And those are some nice screens Kaelyss
Medal of Honor
Kaelyss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2019 13:39
For some reason, I completely overlooked your posting. Your first screenshot looks great !
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2019 21:57
E1L1? Close enough
I'll start a WIP thread after a while. Still playing around with textures, lighting, etc, and sizing the level. I dont think I can fit the original layout in FPSC limited space... have to add more turns. lol

Attachments

Kaelyss
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2019 12:08 Edited at: 30th Jun 2019 12:10
I like it, my only criticism is that it's a bit too large in comparison to the original. I played the demo, the level itself was a bit hard but a good experience, overall.

Anyway, here's even more random stuff I've been working on recently

The inspiration came from official FPS Creator screenshots released several years ago.

Everything is stock media except for the retextured WW2 lamp, railways and round shaped holes in the background.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2019 15:38
Kaelyss Very nice atmosphere, love the detail & lighting your giving the levels !
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2019 15:43
@Kaelyss,
A great look for some old media, and yes... great atmosphere.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2019 00:10
I've started on a spoof of the 1997 game "Blood" in which I hope to inject lots of my sick humor. ncmako is making the required weapons, shovel ( I never understood the pitchfork thing in a graveyard, though I do see the pleasure in sticking souls with it ) flare pistol and shotgun. It's a good excuse to try out my integrated launcher.

Caleb rising from the grave...

the obligatory graveyard...

and the Chapel O'Death

Still need to do the morgue and crematory in chapter 1, and consider the best characters to use.

Attachments

The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2019 07:03
Quote: "I've started on a spoof of the 1997 game "Blood" in which I hope to inject lots of my sick humor. ncmako is making the required weapons, shovel ( I never understood the pitchfork thing in a graveyard, though I do see the pleasure in sticking souls with it ) flare pistol and shotgun. It's a good excuse to try out my integrated launcher.

"

Look interesting!
Judging what we see is the greatest blinder and self-limiter in the universe.

What we perceive is never reality. It is only a story we tell ourselves based on our current perspective, which has far more to do with our beliefs about ourselves than with anything else.
Pvt.Dan
Years of Service
User Offline
Very interesting, the graphics look like something made with id tech 3, in a good way
Medal of Honor
ScooT9
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Half-Life: WAR
Posted: 6th Aug 2019 23:22 Edited at: 6th Aug 2019 23:30
Here's screenshots of a little game i'm making, done 3 levels already, those are from a wip version of level 4

hi, i'm a random guy who's making random games with random game engines for random reasons

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:45:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:45:55