Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] Crash Test Bot

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2019 15:40
Just thought I would share a VERY early video for my next game, "Crash Test Bot". It is a casual, ragdoll physics based game where the idea will be to hit as many objects and cause as much destruction as possible before your robot becomes useless. Purely for high scores and fun.

Like I say, it's in the early stages of development right now so the name, graphics, audio and gameplay may change significantly before it is finished. Let me know what you think.
All done in AGK2 Tier 1 and it runs playably smooth on even very low end Android phones - so far.

Chart data provided with kind permission from ELSPA
Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2019 21:41
Funny

I like
I do what i do !!!
ApkGames.Guru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2019 12:37
Haha, great concept.... keep posting, looking forward to seeing this work progress
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 3rd May 2019 01:39
Love it
fubarpk
fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2019 16:36
Thanks for the comments.
I have been working on this game but mostly on things behind the scenes.
I've rewritten the level and robot loading routines so I can easily add more levels and robots.
I have created a level editor too so I should be able to make lots more levels.
I have added scoring so you get points for hitting different objects and for damaging the robot.
A few other bits and pieces...

Hopefully I will have something worth creating a new video about soon.

Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2019 16:41
A new WIP video showing some of the new features. This includes:
a couple of alternative robots
the scoring
the colouring of objects when you hit them (so you can try and hit them all and gain a score bonus)
title screen with instruction animation
statistics popup (at the end of each game and global stats from the title screen)

Still lots to do but it is coming along nicely.

I've changed 'bot' to 'bots' in the title but I'm still not 100% sure about the name. My plan is to make this a VERY casual game, with everything unlocked and available from the offset. People can play it when they have a spare couple of minutes and just have a laugh. Do you think this type of game would be suitable for PC's as well as mobile devices? Do PC gamers play these kind of casual games?

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2019 23:08
Very nice. Looks like a very well made game.
Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2019 19:06
Spent lots of time polishing things and stamping out bugs. There are now 5 robots to choose from and 6 scenes to pick, plus a "randomized" scene where crates, boxes and TNT are placed randomly.

I've had a rethink about how to release this game and hopefully cover some development costs. Here are the four options I could take:

1) Insert adverts. This would most likely be full screen adverts put in between plays.
GOOD: The full game would be free to download.
BAD: People (including me) get annoyed waiting for adverts to finish and it can put them off. Plus, you really need an internet connection to play or it will just play the cached adverts it has already downloaded and clicking on them without an internet connection will no doubt make no money.

2) Insert adverts but they can be turned off with an in-app purchase.
GOOD: The full game is free to download. You can turn off adverts if you pay a small fee.
BAD: Requires an internet connection to unlock and check the unlock is still valid (i.e. they haven't purchased it and then requested a refund). An online payment method is also required. This will work on Google Play and Apple's App Store but I don't think AppGameKit supports Amazon's Store for in-app purchases.

3) Cut down features (e.g. only 1 robot and 2 scenes available). In-app purchase unlocks everything else.
GOOD: No adverts at all.
BAD: Requires an internet connection to unlock and check the unlock is still valid (i.e. they haven't purchased it and then requested a refund). An online payment method is also required. This will work on Google Play and Apple's App Store but I don't think AppGameKit supports Amazon's Store for in-app purchases.

4) Free version with cut down features. Separate paid app for full game.
GOOD: Try before you buy with the cut down, free version. Internet connection only needed to purchase the full version.
BAD: Some people might not want to download a separate app for the full game.

At the moment I am steering towards option 4 as I have had better results with this method than the others. I know this is an older way of doing things but it works. What are your thoughts?

Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2019 14:13 Edited at: 7th Jun 2019 14:14
A quick update while I wait for Apple to okay this for the App Store...

The game is done, and will be available shortly for Android (Google Play and Amazon), iOS (Apple's App Store) and Windows PC (via itch.io). I decided to go with two versions:
- FREE, with 1 robot and 1 scene to play in.
- FULL (less than £1), with 5 robots and 10 scenes to play in.

It should be available on all platforms later today. I will post the details as soon as Apple switch it from "in review" to "ready for sale".

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 01:59:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 01:59:33