Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Classic Remake Game Competition

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 30th Apr 2019 16:42 Edited at: 30th Apr 2019 16:46
Ide like to start another Gamejam

inspired by this thread https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/223516

The idea is to bring a classic game back to life with AGK

I will be judging so there will be no entry by me
like the last thread https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/223929

The rules are similar
The game must be a remake of a game from over 25 years ago
The winning contestants will receive a shiny badge next to the name (gold,silver, bronze)
No ripping media from games, Altho many old games the graphics may not hold copyright many still do
.....................ie the pacman logo is still a registered trademark
Use all your own media a square box for a galaxian ship for example would score better than an obviously stolen graphic
Quote: "The final Entry can be submitted here as a source code comment with any media attached or a link
to the complete working project"

Judging Criteria
Game play
......Playability
......Feel of a classic
Completeness
Difficulty involved to reproduce

bonus points awarded for well commented code

Quote: "If you are interested please submit the game you want to reproduce preferebly along with a video
to reserve the game. The compettion will go for two weeks and will begin on 3rd May 2019 and end
on Friday the 17th of May"

Reserve the game you want to reproduce now
fubarpk
fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
xtremi
Years of Service
User Offline
That sounds really cool. Would be fun to join, but difficult to find time to complete anything in 2 weeks!
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2019 20:20
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2019 21:30 Edited at: 30th Apr 2019 21:31
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2019 22:59 Edited at: 30th Apr 2019 23:02
I think I'll take a stab at the comp, I've been needing to get back into programming since the little one was born, just haven't had the time. After flipping through my classic collection, I've decided to tackle the 2-player versus mode for the original Mario Bros...

I'm thinking of mixing it up by building it in the theme of The Darkest Dungeon, should be fun!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2019 23:09
Why not make it a month? Give everybody some time
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2019 23:23
Quote: "Why not make it a month? Give everybody some time"

good point, but I figure with no prizes and pure for fun a simple recreation of a classic
that an experienced programmer could produce something quite good in a weekend
and I figure too long and people will just procrastinate more.

but with that said if we get enough people interested there may be a prize awarded
last time we needed so many entries to award a prize but we didn't quite meet the
minimum requirements

fubarpk
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2019 02:52
Might have a go at Boulder Dash if i get the time

At least i don't have to decode the levels. lol!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2019 06:07 Edited at: 1st May 2019 06:14
Maybe I'll find time to remake Trix. (qix remake)

Or Zonx.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
houndog66
Years of Service
User Offline
Heya,
I'm just at the end of an important change to my Tapper, but have a few ideas for this gamejam...

To the folks who say 2 weeks isn't enough, I know it doesn't sound a lot but if I give you some perspective it might help. I started my tapper project on the 29th March .https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/224138

Lets call it a month ago
In that time I've :
drawn over 100 sprites,
learned and played the music that's in game
written almost 4k lines of code
included every animation from the arcade (as far as possible)
etc

Now I'm not saying I'm good/bad at this whole thing, but I've pretty much completed a whole arcade game in a month (there is always more art to do)
I think 2 weeks should be long enough to knock together a prototype that covers the essence of a classic game and to me , that's the idea of a gamejam. If you have time left over, then sure, make it look fancy

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2019 16:22
Its great to see so much interest
Some great Ideas for remakes too.

Quote: "An entry doesnt need to have 100 levels if thats what the original had ide prefer to see well layed out game that played well that may just have
2 of the levels. Take lode runner for example designing all of the levels would be a feat in itself. More interested in gameplay, playability and likeness
to the original. If it covers those aspects i would consider completeness even if it only had 2 levels and would try and compare that to what others
have submitted. Even the likeness to the original is an open concept as i like moondogs dark theme idea. Aslong as it is layed out and plays like the original
as Classic is the theme. The artwork you use is entirely up to you as you are the designer. So if you was doing donkey kong for example but designed a
mario character to scale to fit into the game donkey kong that is entirely up to you. Im not set with concrete on the way im marking yet and still quite flexible
aslong as it keeps with the classic theme"

Quote: "
I hope that clears things up for everyone and we get to see some great entries just like the last one. And as previously mentioned bonus points awarded for
well documented code. I always have loved the forum and come back time and time again to see the ways people have achieved different things. So to help
others learn from submissions good commented and easy to follow code is a plus. As i hope the code created by the entrants might be usefull for beginners."

fubarpk
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2019 01:48
Made some voxel logos hoping this will inspire using my mesh creator tool in AGK
but altho I can only use for personal use as im sure many would have copyrights
still, I see no harm in sharing a video of them

PS:They aren't perfect and do need much editing and im only colouring them as I haven't texture
mapped them at all
fubarpk
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2019 08:07
So, I have to reserve ...
I guess, something like a combination of Flashback and Impossible Mission. But with all new assets and other level design.
So I guess, my game would look and feel not the same.

Prince of Persia
(1989)

There are still a lot of the older games, that are share some similarity

Flashback
(1992)

Impossible Mission (1984 C64)

Another World
(1991)

Toki
(1989)

Sega Mega Drive games, most of them are before 1995, Comix Zone not :-(

Sega Master System games, most of them are ~ 1989 - 1993

Crack Down
(1989)
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2019 12:02
DannyD
Years of Service
User Offline
Many Moons ago, I did a front-end for a bunch of Arcade games to use the original ROMS, playing on windows PC... Tested up-to- Windows 7 64Bt. Win 10 Should work fine
This is the original BIN/ROMS used in the early to late 80's arcade games.
Think some of the members might not even been born yet !!! hahahahaha

If anyone is interested, I can post the download link. Version 1 has 80 old SEGA, ATARI. NINTENDO and many more working games
I still have another 300 + ROMS, just never had time to add them all to the Front End
Can help the guys get some ideas for more up-to-date clones.

Attachments

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2019 13:55
Hey.

I don't have very much free time, but I said I'd def do the next one......so count me in.

I'm happy to do any game to be honest......open to suggestions.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2019 17:45
@Danny D
I for one am a follower of M.A.M.E and have the full arcade rom set and own a Rasberry Pi computer
complete with almost 100 thousand games from about a hundred different platforms and would
very much like to see what your Windows front end is like.

Now for the Moderator Bit

With that said Im not so sure posting here is appropriate, its great you have done a good front end
but Im not sure if it is relevant or something that would be allowed to be shared on the TGC site. As
we try to keep shared projects to tools developed by the TGC development tools. If you have created
the front end, I think perhaps the geek culture thread may be more appropriate. Im still very much
learning the ropes so if a Mod reads this I would love some clarity on the sharing of something shared
from another development. Also ide like to add any discussion of money needs to be in private IM's
and should not be discussed in any thread
fubarpk
houndog66
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2019 11:35 Edited at: 3rd May 2019 14:35
Heya, I haven't quite finalised my entry decision yet, still conducting a feasibility study into several ideas

In the meantime, I thought some hi score table code might be handy. I know it's not hard, but when I searched for it on the forums, it came up with loads about online hiscores but nothing about a simple high score table. This is the code from my Barperson thing. Hopefully it'll give someone some ideas

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2019 16:58
I had a couple of hours to spare today so I've created a BBC Micro 8 bit font and simulated Mode 2.
For those that don't remember or were not around then, Mode 2 on the BBC Micro was what most games were written in because you had a massive eight colours available!. Other modes could be used that had slightly higher resolution than Mode 2's 160x128 pixels but they reduced the number of colours.
The colours were not even selectable then you only had Red, Green, Yellow, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, White and Black.
How times have changed!

Attachments

BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all!
I'd like try to remake the atari battle zone, I hope have enough time to do something playable and fun.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DymrYkbEbnEQ&ved=2ahUKEwi7wvWLgIDiAhUuyoUKHbb7AbsQwqsBMAB6BAgBEAU&usg=AOvVaw2CjeqphfJ1N602A7AdQUbz

Regards!
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2019 01:40 Edited at: 4th May 2019 01:59
Quote: "I cant enter myself as im judging but for fun factor"

I might do a remake of something like TAIPAN

I have done a trading game similar in past written in visual basic, if you google my trading game you may even
find copies of it on the internet still. (was written a long time ago over I think originally for windows 98) lol but
I have all of my logic of the working economy mapped out. just not the ability to use the Microsoft acces database
or MySQL. but the diagrams of how to get an economy game etc will be very handy as I did it as a college project
and have a very extensive manual maybe even somewhere on an old harddrive the exe

But if it gets done il do it in the theme of taipan but il add 3D models to it while you travel I already have 3D
models suitable just getting the textures sorted im thinking texture similar to the way it was done with Krazy Grandprix

Economy Explained taken from my trading game manuals

If there is ample of a product globally individual cities will tend not to produce the product. This just means the production
wont stop just that there will be less of it. This is only a minimal economic system I designed and adds some randomness
Formulas
Supply/Demand=Season*Social+Production
The cities supply/demand of a product
Production=Season*random(10)+Production+Average(Supply/Demand)/2
Defined as the amount of production a city has produced
Social=Season*random(10)+production/2
Social is defined as cities willingness to work
fubarpk
DannyD
Years of Service
User Offline
@fuberpk
Quote: "With that said Im not so sure posting here is appropriate, "

Sorry about the wrong thread. I only put it on for the guys to get more ideas of games that they might want to do in AGK.
and not to promote myself or anything else, except ideas for new games to develop in AGK

A moderator. please remove the thread....

Thanks
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2019 07:43 Edited at: 5th May 2019 07:43
@DannyD,

I guess, you can change and edit your previous post yourself.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2019 07:54 Edited at: 5th May 2019 08:07
MegaRace is also a game from 25 years ago, but I have to concentrate on one game at the time. But AppGameKit can do video playback. So it would be possible and we also have the "very simple kart physics"

Creating the tracks and rendering the tracks would be most of the work. I guess, doing that in Blender could be work. A non visuable track, but an 3D physics object for collision. A fixed camera on a rollercoaster in Blender or another 3D program.
In the background the MP4. And with the speed you have in the car, the speed is used for videoplayback.

If the video is slighty stretched, and maybe a little bit fish-eyed, we could also implement a slightly camera rotation or camera panning.

Whre are the problems? Maybe if you drive backwards. MegaRace solved that with still images. I guess, that could be solved by having the video-stream twice. One time forward and one time backwards and if possible in AppGameKit, switching between both at the correct playhead-position.

Tracks without cars. But no 3D-track data. To get an idea, how the videos would have to look like, to create the MegaRace "feeling":

DannyD
Years of Service
User Offline
@Xaby, I've try to delete it, but couldn't find any button, only to edit reply..
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2019 10:09
So I'm starting this today, and stuck in a toss up between Bubble Bobble and Bomberman...... is Bomberman a classic enough game?
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2019 10:10 Edited at: 5th May 2019 10:12
@Santman, Bomberman is perfect, it is from 1983

@Danny
yes, you only could edit your lines about the content, you don't have to delete the complete post. In the worst case, you would / could have a post with only "..."
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2019 10:13
Cool....bomberman it is then.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2019 10:16
So I'll go with the NES version.....

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2019 10:22
Quote: "yes, you only could edit your lines about the content, you don't have to delete the complete post. In the worst case, you would / could have a post with only "...""

Do NOT do that please!
If a moderator feels that a post needs deleting then it will be deleted. Otherwise leave it as it is. Definitely do not edit it to remove the content when other posters have replied to it. It is very annoying for other forum members trying to read a thread when some of the posts have been redacted.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2019 12:30
when is the closing date if i might manage something?

all source included like pico8 ?

wath is the final rules?

I think agk comunity would benefit with small competitons with all source code included.

I got started by the help of a full source project called retrurn to phobos in dark basic pro once
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2019 14:21 Edited at: 5th May 2019 14:34
fubarpk is the best one to answer your questions about rules and deadlines so I'll leave that for him. I believe he is in Oz so you might have to wait a few hours for him to wake up.

Meanwhile ...
I have recreated the sprites as authentically as possible. They are not sprite-rips but pixel for pixel recreations. It;s not difficult to do when each sprite only consists of an 8x8 matrix of pixels

Also, I think the thing I found to be most appealing about Magic Mushrooms was that it came with a level editor. I had never seen anything like it before and spent hours designing my own levels, so I thought I really ought to include that in my remake ... and the editor is now complete

Compare these:
This is the original:

And this is my recreation:

Yes, I know, the players head is in the top left corner but that is a very minor and temporary bug

Attachments

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2019 15:31 Edited at: 5th May 2019 17:06
@Danny_D
No need to delete the thread at all I just was more concerned about the link which I thought was questionable
I have to follow rules like that too and in the past have also posted stuff questionable but for the sake of TGC
we have to be careful . no offence was intended just a warning

Deadlines 17th May UTC +9.30 but if people are struggling to meet the deadline i will allow a little more time
I was more concerned about leaving people two weekends and allowing me one to judge

Quote: "Rome wasn't built in a day. It took programmers two days"

Quote: "Programmers don't sleep they just wait for system time "

Some great ideas by everyone posting
fubarpk
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2019 21:39 Edited at: 6th May 2019 19:28
So I got some good stuff done today, and here's a preview of so far (note, the graphics are my work....and rubish! lol).

So far we have:
Movement and collision with walls etc
Placement of bombs
Destructable walls
Level maps can be loaded - as many as wished
Multiple graphics sets supported
Scores
Time Limits
Multiple bomb ranges (1-10, the video is all set to 10)
Multiple bomb drops (again, 1-10 but for the video the limit is 4)

To do:
Enemies
AI (path finding)
Player can die
Enemies can die
Pick ups to increase bomb range and maximum drop amount
Functional exit
multiple levels
Title screen
High score table
Oh yeah....some sound I guess.....

DannyD
Years of Service
User Offline
@fubarpk
No Problem, Thanks, Just thought you can delete or move if needed.

Cherio
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2019 19:23
Another quick progress update.......now essentially a fully functional game. When's the dealine - next weekend?

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2019 20:09
looks good sandman
Quote: "deadline not until the 17th May UTC +9.30"

but I may extend it over the weekend the main thing I was aiming at was giving people two full weekends to code
for the ones who cant do any code through the week due to other commitments
fubarpk
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2019 21:29
Ah cool. I'll do some cleaning up next weekend and then upload everything, I wont really get much time through the week.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2019 03:13 Edited at: 10th May 2019 03:49

Have some "Real Life" nonsense going on., but would be good to throw together a remake project over the weekend... and Starfox is (just) old enough
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2019 03:47
The list of peoples reserved game so far

Scraggle...................... Magic Mushrooms
JLMoondog ................2-player versus mode for the original Mario Bros
Blink0k .......................Boulder Dash
Phaelax ......................Trix or Zonx
Xaby ............................combination of Flashback and Impossible Mission
CJB ...............................C64.Redmax
BraindeaD ..................Battlezone
Santman .....................Bomberman
Raven ..........................Starfox

which will be great especially if everyone puts their entry in.

we still have a full weekend for coding as the deadline isnt until the 17th
where i hope to judge over the following weekend but if people are struggling
with deadlines i may extend over that weekend aswell
fubarpk
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2019 04:55
StarFox would be soooooo cool! One of the few games i have played through
xtremi
Years of Service
User Offline
Can't believe Star Fox is already over 25 years old :o!
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2019 07:25
Mortal Kombat 2 is from 1993.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2019 09:27
Flashback and star fox.......that's some serious weekend remakes right there, would love to see one come to fruition.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2019 12:24
Had some free time this morning, decided to bash out the Starwing and Patrol Ship.
Going to make tweaks / liberties with the designs, just to be safe … and Characters will be different for obvious reasons :p
Still decided on Flat Coloured Polygons over Textured; as I think it has a nice 'Retro' feel (plus means I don't spent time on Texture Mapping)

Attachments

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2019 12:33
Superb.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2019 17:33
for those of us who are a little older, the above is Star Fox (2 words) vs the Starfox (that i expected).

either way, looking forward to playing!

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2019 19:18
Looks awesome raven, well done.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2019 11:51
progress so far:

I thought, I could draw all animations and make it 2D with some parallax layers, but I also thought, what if I would use the existing 3D models and textures from TheGameCreators
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/FPS-Creator-Classic

And here is, what I really miss on the new AppGameKit Studio, a *.FPE preview and "One Click Add" to project. With textures, model and maybe the FPE itself. It is very fiddleing, to search the *.X file, than the *.DDS to convert to JPEG or PNG and to copy them after that into a folder.
X-Files are not previewed under Windows 10, but OBJ and FBX do. I don't know, if I use an Explorer-PlugIn, but *.DDS are also in a preview. I used XnConvert, to create from DDS the PNGs and JPEGs. Or I used IrfanView. Both do great.

Some of the *.X files from github have "bugs", they can't be loaded. I checked it with "Open 3D Model Viewer" and I guess, AppGameKit uses the same loading-lib for *.X files.

Ah, and the 64 x 64 px BMP previews are very, very small to understand what is going on at a model sometimes. So my idea was, to load a *.FPE, open it, texture it and save a new preview out of that. ... kind of worked. But I have to rotate the *.X models and the camera and setup the lighting to view something on the generated "preview".

----------

The next step is, to find some 3D models, which would fit the theme. The next thing is an "editor" to create the "levels", but I realized that AppGameKit can load Spine and Spriter JSON files, but can't load nativly JSON-TXT files into a Type or Structure, I guess :-(
So how would my level data structure look like and how could I save it in a good way ... puh ...

And after that, there is the "Intro".
3 options:

- One picture as a comic strip, where the plot is layed out
- Animation with Sprites made in Spriter
- FMV with me running and filming myself and load a MP4 at the beginning

Option 4 would be, to create 3D animations with the FPSC Classic assets, but that is no easy task. I would have to create every camera position by code somehow and trigger the right animations from the character models or ... I create a "mini"-Animtion "Studio" to create a "JSON" that does Timelines somehow with tweens.

I also have to create an entity system, so my 3D objects have some "AI" or can make sound and effects if something happens.

----------------

I guess, for the character I would use ObjectRayCast()

I don't know, how to handle the gun. I also don't know, how smoothly I could create the transitions between the build-in-character-animations from the FPSC Classic models. Because they may not fit very well.

... and another complex thingly would be an inventory system, but I guess, it don't have to be "My Time At Portia", more like picked a key: Yes / No, picked a gun: Yes / No.

... creating a grid system with 3D objects from FPSC Classic models is, what I am aiming for and a character-thingly, that can move on some 3D tile-ground, maybe with a state-machine or so, I could trigger, which "animation" has to be played, if the character is falling, jumping, hanging, climbing, gets shot, or runs into a wall.

Prince of Persia, Another World, Flashback, Oddworld: Abe's Odyssee, Impossible Mission ...

So, how would it called?

--- Another Impossible Odd Flashback of Persia ---

[ if somebody is interested in my "FPE to Thumbnail converter for the FPSC Classic model packs and FPSC Classic itself, please tell me, I guess, that could be another side project ]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 11:46:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 11:46:52