Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / [request] A forum dedicated to AppGameKit Studio

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2019 11:14 Edited at: 4th May 2019 11:22
Currently we have a single category dedicated to Studio and the GitHub issue tracker for reporting bugs and feature request but only after we post them here on the forum first to make sure it is a valid report or request.
I think it would be nice if Studio would have it own forum dedicated to AppGameKit Studio and leave GitHub to the people who actually work on the source.

Then on the forum we could have topics such as:
-Feature Requests
-Bug Reports
-Scene Editor related posts
-Code Editor related posts
-IDE (debugger, preview, media..etc) general posts
-2D graphics (sprites, shaders ) related posts
-3D graphics (models, textures, shaders) related posts
-AGK Tier1 (Basic) related posts
-AGK Tier2 (C++) related posts
-Windows specific posts
-Linux specific posts
-Mac specific posts
-iOS specific posts
-Android specific posts
-HTML5 specific posts
-Work in progress
-Showcase
-Tutorials
-...etc

Just an idea since Rick did mentioned last year in 2018 TGC was considering to deprecate the current TGC forum, many people was against it so it didn't happened but it doesn't mean Studio can't have it own dedicated forum and keep the TGC forum for the old ones who still using the old TGC products or have any questions regarding the company in general. Thanks.

Issues posted in the bug report and feature request categories could be reviewed by someone from the dev team or moderator team and then in case it is a valid report or request, the person review it could post it on GitHub for the devs to be tracked and discussed further.

Thanks.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
+1000

Do it, PLEASE! The former BRL users had such a great experience and saw great results with BRL creating new forums and places for their different products! User fragmentation at its best and it was awesome. It really helped!!!!
Anyway, TGC is already heading in that direction. These forums here, maybe a new AGKS forum, Discord (where the action seems to be these days for TGC users anyway), GH. The more the better!
I can't wait!
Qube_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2019 21:11
I'd say when Studio is released they'll plush out the AppGameKit Studio section but to have a new forum for AppGameKit Studio only would be a bad idea as that just causes community fragmentation. For example take the whole Blitz / MonkeyX / Monkey 2 debacle and how creating new forums for new products split the community so much so that it's just tumble weed now.

Keep the community together rather than split it up
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2019 09:19 Edited at: 5th May 2019 09:42
Quote: " to have a new forum for AppGameKit Studio only would be a bad idea as that just causes community fragmentation"

FPSC, DBC, DBP and DarkGDK got nothing to do with AppGameKit apart from the FPSC Loader that is deprecated, I haven't noticed if many people would use it.
Classic users would have no reason not to upgrade because Studio is going to be everything Classic has to offer + a bunch of improvements and new features. It is the new version if you want to stay up to date with the latest, upgrading to Studio is a no brainer.
But even if we expect lot of people not to upgrade for one reason or an other, Classic could have a place on the Studio forum too it would not hurt to add a small section at the bottom for Classic related questions.

My entire point is that, currently if you want to request a feature or report a bug you do need to do it twice. First on the forum to make sure it is valid and if it has been approved , confirmed, agreed by the community then you need to also post it on GitHub to help devs so they don't need to read the forum and I dislike this method. If Studio would have it own dedicated forum we could have categories dedicated to bug reports and feature request so the devs don't need to read a bunch of how to questions and chit-chat to find bug report and requests. Moderators could also help them by flag important topics they must see or report on GitHub for us so we don't have to do it twice. We can report bugs and request feautres only once and have a discussion about it only 1 place.

But I can see this trend among other engines too the devs are moving to GitHub and avoid the forum by purpose so they can focus on the job need to be done and better organize what is being worked on and what has been done and what else need to be done but expect the community to stay on the forum and report bugs and request features twice, on the forum first and then on GitHub which I can understand why but I simply dislike this practice.
We should have a single place where we can report and discuss bugs and features and where the devs can also organize them self. The best solution is to have a dedicated forum for Studio only.

In case it is not going to happen, an other solution would be something like Trello where we can post and discuss "ideas" and then if a dev agree it should be worked on can move the entire discussion (called a ticket) from "idea" to "planned" and then once they start working on it, they can move it from "planned" to "doing" while the discussion continue and when they are about to done they can move it from "doing" to "ready for next release" while the discussion never have to stop and once released can move it from "ready to release" to "done".
It could be also a solution if the dedicated forum is not happening to make bug report, requests and have a discussion at one place and the devs can also easily track what they are doing and what they plan to do next by moving the tickets, the entire discussion to different rows. idea/bug report->planned->doing->ready to release->done.
Trello is awesome, much better than GitHub for tracking what is being requested and worked on in my opinion. So it would be an other alternative in case the devs would like to avoid the forum at all cost and we don't get a new dedicated forum.
https://trello.com/en
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2019 19:08
Creating a separate forum seems a bit over the top, it is just another system to maintain, it is more likely that when AppGameKit Studio is released we will give it a section of its own on these forums. These forums work in exactly the same way a dedicated forum would anyway and are linked the AppGameKit website so it would really make no difference to the every day operation.

These forums contain decades of content and that is invaluable to a lot of people, now FPSC and DBP are open source they are still in use and having somewhere for discussions is useful.
Windows 10, Intel i7 4.2 GHz, 16GB DDR4, NVIDIA RTX 2060

Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
@TheNext

Thanks for the reply.

What I'm saying is not only about a separated forum but a better, modern one. The current forum is old and outdated and I consider unworthy to share it with old and obsolete tech like DBP and FPSC while GG got it own. If anything Studio deserve a better forum providing the devs would also use it as I have described it but in case their decision to live on GitHub only is final it would be pointless indeed.
In case it is about maintaining the system, a solution could be to merge the content of the GG forum in a section dedicated to GG here, scrap GG forum and give the space and budget to Studio to create a better one that even the devs could use providing they are willing to.
GG would also fit better with these old tools that nobody uses any more. Perfect place for GG
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2019 04:28
What features not currently present do you feel we could do with? The forum is old but has been updated many times in the past so if there are ideas for changes required they could be added.

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 10th May 2019 04:50 Edited at: 10th May 2019 04:51
Im not so sure that the forum itself needs changes

but @ Zigi do you mean like a facelift perhaps colour schemes appropriate to each of the products
so AppGameKit would have colours that reflect the logo etc or perhaps just a different header for each product/page
and the other ones left as they are. That would give a new feel to allot of the products
fubarpk
fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2019 08:55
@fubarpk

It is true the theme hasn't been changed in a long time, this is something that could be done to give a more modern feel, if enough people think it is a good idea TGC may be interested in spending the time to do it.

Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2019 15:41 Edited at: 10th May 2019 15:47
Quote: "What features not currently present"

As I mentioned the whole reason behind my request is the fact, developers begin to ignore the forum and move discussions to GitHub which makes sense yet I dislike this practice.
If there is anything that would make developers to re-consider to use the forum for dev discussion, that should be the answer and the most obvious feature would be the ability to be able to track discussions.

Few ideas that could help everyone and also the devs:

-ability to flag discussions. For example, any community member could flag a topic to be "bug report" "feature request" "idea" "bounty" "job offer" "tutoial" devs and mods would have flags available such as "confirmed bug" "enhancement" "in-development" "ready for next release" "todo" "IDE" "EDITOR" "Tier1" ..etc, let you and the devs decide what kind of flag makes sense and how to limit their use which ones anyone can use and which one is exclusive to devs and mods.
-ability to list topics by flag from all categories and selected category.

-ability to sort topics to list all the latest from all categories, and selected categories.
-ability to vote on topics, in case we agree the subject of the topic is important or useful, vote up
-ability to sort topics by how many people voted them up, again from all or selected categories.
-ability to vote replies up, in case we agree with a reply, vote it up "DO NOT" allow vote down to avoid people hurt the feelings of each other anonymously, nothing is more dangerous than allow something like that
-ability to sort replies in a topic by their vote

-notification to get a list of latest topics in email from selected categories since our last visit every day/week/month as we choose.

-search optimization, currently it is a pain to search the forum

-ranks, as someone use the forum frequently, get votes, give votes would receive a rank, higher ranks has more moderation powers and also badges. At the top level, most trusted and most valuable members with the higher rank can edit any title of any topic and replies that have been reported, can move topics between categories, the only limitation compared to a moderator is that they can not open new categories or ban users and editor replies that otherwise have been not reported by anyone for example.

-ability to block users, hide their topics and their replies in case they are really getting on our nerves and we just don't want to know about them.

-links to display a thumbnail to more easily recognise the content the link point to for example links to itch.io, facebook, twitter, Trello, GitHub..etc would display a little thumbnail with a title what the linked page is all about providing it is supported by the linked page.

I think this is all I can think of right now, maybe I could come up wit more but as I mentioned the point would be to make the life of the devs easier to track discussions on the forum but in case their decision to ignore the forum for development discussions is final, it is pointless. I am not keen to have a new forum, only want the devs to come back with dev discussion.

A new, more modern theme could be nice in any way.

Thanks.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2019 19:56
Who says all the dev discussions will move to GitHub? AFAIK GitHub is only being used/should be being used for bug reports. Regular discussion about the product will live here.
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2019 20:24 Edited at: 10th May 2019 20:25
Quote: "Who says all the dev discussions will move to GitHub? AFAIK GitHub is only being used/should be being used for bug reports."

Exactly. Devs either fixing bugs or implementing new features. It is called development. Since we seem to agree on that discussions regarding bugs and request moving to GitHub, it is safe to say that development discussion is moving to GitHub as a direct result.

Thank you.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2019 22:41
Quote: "In past i tried to find a post of me but its horrible to find it if its many month ago"

There is a "My threads" option at the top of the forum
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2019 23:13
yeah. It's not perfect
Tarkus1971
Years of Service
User Offline
As for a new theme here, use the same colours and fonts as the IDE in AppGameKit studio, like GameGuru is red and black and it make it look more unique
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2019 17:49 Edited at: 11th May 2019 17:50
@The Next: I would want a codetag that I don't need to click to unfold it, but with the same syntax highlighting the existing tag has.
For example in this post I have many short lines of code which takes up way too much space: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/224384#msg2644244
And ideally I want everyone to find the line he is looking for without opening every "codefolderthing".
One could also restrict the number of chars to force people to use codefolder if the code is too long.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2019 22:18
Quote: "Exactly. Devs either fixing bugs or implementing new features. It is called development. Since we seem to agree on that discussions regarding bugs and request moving to GitHub, it is safe to say that development discussion is moving to GitHub as a direct result."

I don't understand your point. You wrote that development discussion is moving to Github, but I don't think they are and that they should. Bugs are posted on Github for TGC devs, and game devs (i.e. us) can keep our topics on this forum. As far as I know, people aren't supposed to be posting on Github about how to use the language itself.
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I don't understand your point. You wrote that development discussion is moving to Github, but I don't think they are..As far as I know, people aren't supposed to be posting on Github"

Oh, I did not know that. Thanks for letting me know

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 21:50:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 21:50:42