Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / I finally figured out how to record a VR gameplay video!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2019 01:38 Edited at: 25th May 2019 01:55
The compression is not perfect, but good enough to give an impression of the experience:

1) Download and install the OBS video recorder.
2) Run your VR game.
3) In the SteamVR window, select "Display VR view". Adjust the mirror to your preferences.
4) In OBS, click the + icon under Sources, and add a Game Capture. Select your VR view.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2019 04:59
Really cool, its very dark though and would probably be more comfortable with more ambient lighting.

The finger articulation and its interaction with the paint is pretty impressive
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2019 05:28
I'm gonna have nightmares!
Nice work though
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2019 09:34
@basicFanatic

is it possible to "record" / capture your fingers and arms to a file. So that you could playback the motions you have done with your hands and arms and maybe animate a character with that?
With Inverse-Kinematic it could be possible, that the arm bones are calculated from your VR-headset to your hands.
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Ortu wrote: "Really cool, its very dark though and would probably be more comfortable with more ambient lighting."

Heh, I already brightened it a great deal by removing the almost-black hand! Will play it with fresh eyes and see if it needs more. When inside VR, people can deal with a great deal more darkness since their eyes adjust to the light level. But there's such as thing as too much.

Xaby wrote: "is it possible to "record" / capture your fingers and arms to a file. So that you could playback the motions you have done with your hands and arms and maybe animate a character with that?
With Inverse-Kinematic it could be possible, that the arm bones are calculated from your VR-headset to your hands."

Leap Motion gives me loads of data for arm, hand and fingers. Recording this to an array every cycle wouldn't be a problem. However, I'm unsure what to do with it, that is, how to use it to animate LHand.fbx and RHand.fbx.

But I did try recording the motion of my Touch controllers and HMD, so that I got a recording of the position/angle of head and hands. It played back pretty well, except that I think I got the hand angle screwed up somehow.

Would be cool with a game with dozens of wiggling hands, though! Or a giant crawling hand.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:55:19
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:55:19