Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Tutorial guides updates?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am wondering if Alistair is going to update Tutorial Guides 1&2 when Studio version goes out?
Alistair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2019 09:28
The books are already updated and available from Digital Skills. There are approx. 100 extra pages in Vol1 and about 35 extra pages in Vol2. If you bought the older versions directly from Digital Skills, email me at sales@digital-skills.co.uk with details of your original purchase and I'll tell you how to download the new books for free. If you bought through Steam or TGC you will also get a free upgrade.
psychoanima
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " If you bought through Steam or TGC you will also get a free upgrade."

I bought both volumes trough steam, but last updates ware September 2018 for vol 1 and January 2018 for vol 2
Alistair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2019 07:57
I believe TGC will be organising their update of the books to coincide with the release of AppGameKit Studio. I update the books' contents as and when I can. You'll find any news on the Digital Skills website. At the moment, I'm working on a C++ book.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 18th Jun 2019 14:29
good to know the books getting updated on steam

I purchased the Official beginners guide and official tier 2 starters guide
so when studio is released I should get the updates which is good to
know
fubarpk
fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
Alistair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2019 10:59
I'm afraid TGC have changed their minds as far as free upgrade is concerned so those having purchased the earlier versions of the books from them (and via Steam) will no longer be receiving free copies of the Studio books. However, anyone who bought from Digital Skills will still be able to get the free upgrade.
Alistair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2019 15:59
In future all AppGameKit Classic and Studio books written by myself will be available only from Digital-Skills (www.digital-skills.co.uk) with their titles reverting to the original "Hands On" series.
psychoanima
Years of Service
User Offline
Oookaaaay, I have to say that I am really surprised in a very negative way with that decision
psychoanima
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there any update when books for Studio version are going to be available on Steam?
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Alistair wrote: "In future all AppGameKit Classic and Studio books written by myself will be available only from Digital-Skills (www.digital-skills.co.uk) with their titles reverting to the original "Hands On" series."

Tough decision. I totally get if you don't want others to dictate what happens with your own creations.
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
To me, the 1000+ pages of instruction are what makes AppGameKit usable. A BASIC language (Beginners All-purpose, etc) should naturally go along with some easy-to-digest guidance. Even if I knew a bit about coding beforehand, the instruction here is really essential.

So when Alistair and TGC has a less than optimal relationship ... that's doesn't bode well for the future of BASIC. I'm slightly worried.

beef_erikson
Years of Service
User Offline
I have been reading the first volume (the one that used to be available on Steam) for the last week or so, approx 150 pages in. Absolutely wonderful read so far as most definitely suggested heading to www.digital-skills.co.uk to pick them up. While I admit it would be much easier if it was available through Steam alongside the engine, I would venture a guess there was a difference of opinion on how the publishing was handled.

Regardless of what happened to lead to this decision, it's not a huge deal. Simply buy direct from the author himself and get the free upgrades through there. More money to the author directly that way anyhow. At the very least, he's getting the cut Steam would take back into his hands, taking out of the equation whatever deal the author had with TGC.
psychoanima
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2019 08:13 Edited at: 1st Aug 2019 08:17
Quote: "Simply buy direct from the author himself and get the free upgrades through there."

My problem is, I own both volumes for classic version on Steam and i don't find it fair to pay full price for updated versions.
beef_erikson
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah, I misunderstood the intent of the post. I can understand that and am using the old version myself. After reading through Studio's User Guide though, I think it covers pretty well all the 'new' things studio brings to the table.
I can't say this with certainty of course, not having read both versions but so long as you read said user guide, I think you'll be in good shape. The guide details everything about the GUI end of it that you need to know.

I do see your point though and yes, that's quite the disappointment.
Noob Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Are there Scene editor tutorials in the book?

Alistair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2019 08:32
Yes. Mostly in volume 1 although the physics options are in volume 2.
Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2019 11:40
Do we need to purchase the books again to have the new updates?
I have purchased them through The Game Creators.
Dark Lord Beholder Project.
Role Playing Game like Lands of Lore 1 and Eye of the Beholder 2.
https://facebook.com/darklordbeholder

Alistair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2019 13:11
I'm afraid the offer for free updates only applies to those who bought directly from Digital Skills. However, I have offered anyone who has bought both volumes elsewhere the option to buy the updated volume 1 from Digital Skills and get volume 2 for free. All future updates to both volumes will then be free.
Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2019 22:46
It seems there will be lots of updates for Application Game Kit so I will wait more upades and the language mature even more and then I will purchase the books again from digital skills to receive the second one for free.

Dark Lord Beholder Project.
Role Playing Game like Lands of Lore 1 and Eye of the Beholder 2.
https://facebook.com/darklordbeholder

psychoanima
Years of Service
User Offline
I own previous editions and I bought new revised edition and I got second volume for free. Purchase seems just about right, I am very happy to see refreshed pages with new AppGameKit UI and updated functions. And from so many technical books that I own I am so glad that I can support this author, his teaching style is among the best out there.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:36:06
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:36:06