Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / 2 million+ vertices meadow made using memblocks

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Wanted to share how powerful memblocks are. Needed a break from making trees.

Feel free to critique.

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 27th May 2019 21:34
That looks dam awesome golelorn

fubarpk
fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2019 18:17
That's very impressive!
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2019 23:12
What are the memblocks being used for? Merging meshes? Generating meshes? It looks fantastic, would love a break down on what you did
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2019 23:48 Edited at: 28th May 2019 23:53
Ortu,

I broke this up into 16 different memblocks based off a square grid of the map(only because this is what the game I am working on will do). So, in theory, at worst I will have a few showing, and at best only 1. I think the lowest vert count I saw was 216K.

1) I custom created the meshes in blender to reduce alpha-overdraw. In addition to the performance boost, despite the increase in verts, it also makes the plants look better, since mipmaps won't blend the alpha, as much. A lot of my foliage is only single blades/stems.
2) I have a total of 10 different plants, with 1 4k texture.
3) I then merged the meshes into a memblock and added the indices for a performance boost and vertex color data, so the plants bottom will not sway. The very bottom is total blue, and it fades off as you go up the plant. If there is no gradual fade the bend will look silly.
4) I do not show backfaces. As I created the mesh I made sure the normals would point up and towards the camera. In my project, the player can't turn the camera, so that is a nice bonus to performance, I think.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2019 12:35
Are you using transparency? I thought I saw some clipping issues. If so, try using a shader and just discarding any value below .01 in the alpha channel, and turn off transparency, you'll get no depth issues then.
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2019 19:13
NIce!
blink0k
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 29th May 2019 22:51
That is amazing! Awesome stuff
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2019 00:11 Edited at: 30th May 2019 00:12
No transparency, Santman, since I have always ran into the problems you mentioned about weird depth. You probably saw my sway shader. I have corrected that issue. It was doing some weird stuff disconnecting verts and placing them elsewhere.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2019 12:34
Yeah, that took me a while to solve as well.....I was moving the verts manually and after the transformations had been done, and z movement was making it go haywire. Eventually I figured out to do the changes before the transform matrix and pass it through, resolved my issues.

Nothing is ever easy!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 01:33:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 01:33:36