Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Beyond Life Rebirth 2019

Author
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2019 18:56 Edited at: 9th Jul 2019 16:27
Sometime ago, I was given permission to remake Beyond Life. I was given the task to update and improve the game. Pretty much do I a saw fit. The only thing I was told I could not change was the new title and that was Beyond Life Rebirth. Along with that, I believe that Kravenwolf was to make the sequel. Both of us quit making them. I was almost done and I received some crits that left me at a stand still as it seemed that fpsc x9 was unable to build the game with the improved graphics and gameplay. New characters were made and were sadly not able to be used in the new game.

You can view the old post here. Interesting fact: Last time I posted was July 4th 2011, guess only fitting to post this now.

Want to play the the last update made in fpsc x9 that only the beta testers were allowed to play? You can download it here.

So, after waiting for Reloaded and x10 was such a disappointment, I moved to Unity. As of this week, I began project rebirth again. The difference is it is now in unity, but I wanted to show it here as I am only referencing fpsc product.

Have you tried black ice mod? Yes! I tried to build it in version 1.20, but I have not had any success since 1.17. Will I be willing to try again? No. the problem that continues to is the bad load times and if you try the last fpsc update you can see it still has that problem. Also the framerate with shaders at its max, is bad.

I have plans with project rebirth. My #1 plan is release it in all it's glory, with a secret origin level, that looks just like the original. No shaders and all. I would also like to release this on multiple platforms, like PC, Webgl, Xbox and Android. With unity that is all possible. It will free to play.

Want to see it as it is now? Well, here you go!

https://youtu.be/V6ul4KBJZvc

Mods if you feel that this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it. Everyone else, Enjoy!
Signature removed by moderator, max size 600x120
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 4th Jul 2019 19:33
Cool beans! I was really rooting for the guy in the video to get those crates piled up and get up to the next level.
Does unity have an issue with dynamic objects? It looks about the same as FPSC in that respect.
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2019 20:24 Edited at: 9th Jul 2019 16:27
Quote: "Does unity have an issue with dynamic objects? It looks about the same as FPSC in that respect.
"

Not really. I faked the fpsc problem in unity. Basically it comes right down to the code that I wrote. The pickup is based on distance and colliders. When the player pickups an object and bumps into say a wall, it will drop the current object. Also the weight makes a big difference. The problem in the video was more me than the code. I was talking to my wife at that time.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2019 23:40
Starmind Terrific stuff, watched the video.
I have to agree with xplosys. Looks like fpsc in a way
Anyway, nice atmosphere to the game. Good lighting. Seems to play smooth.
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Location: You know that space between a dresser and the floor ? Yeah, that's where
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2019 04:01 Edited at: 9th Jul 2019 16:28
How does fpsc deal with picking up objects? Here is how I set it up to pick up objects in unity.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2019 00:21 Edited at: 9th Jul 2019 16:28
Today, I finished the main layout of the level with some additions. The translation from fpsc to unity was a bit dodgy, but I think that it loos great considering. I know I am not happy with the lighting. There are some tweaks that need to be made. I want you all to play it and give some crits. After all such crits are fix, I will move to the characters, AI and well the combat part.
Enjoy!

https://starmind001.itch.io/beyond-life-rebirth
Pvt.Dan
Years of Service
User Offline
It has issues:
1. It shouldn't be a browser game, I got 5 FPS at the start of the game
2. I can't see the whole screen, it's just cut off for some reason
Medal of Honor
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
nice you redoing this game look forward to the end result.

Tested your game and as PVT.Dan said the game lags bad and the screen is cut off.

I did test the old version and it stills takes about 15 mins to load lol even on new hardware. I could never figure out why such a small level would take so long to load.

anyway best of luck maybe a download next time best s4real
Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2019 11:28

Same here, like Pvt.Dan the frame rate was too low to be able to play.
My games never have bugs. They just develop random features..
Lots and lots of random features...
Location: You know that space between a dresser and the floor ? Yeah, that's where
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2019 13:20
DItto
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2019 17:46 Edited at: 9th Jul 2019 16:28
Lol try this one.
https://my.syncplicity.com/share/pmkuzoqcymsa2wm/BLR%20PC

I have done a bit more on it. Fixed a few problems, but for the most part it is playable. Feel free to run around the level and when you are done press " ESC ". Enjoy!
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah this version ran perfect nice and fast.

Did you have to delay loading so to get all the speaking out the way while loading.

As I'm sure the loading time would be a lot faster that fpsc lol.

Nice work so far be interesting when we have some ai in the map.

Look forward to the next part

Best s4real
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2019 11:21 Edited at: 9th Jul 2019 16:28
Quote: "Did you have to delay loading so to get all the speaking out the way while loading."

Yes. I did make it so you can skip the loading scene, but I don't know if I added it to the last demo. Unlike fpsc, unity only needs a few seconds to load a scene.
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Updated the demo! I think I finally have the feeling down and started adding some NPC's and extra rooms. Now before you all get angry about adding rooms, there is a reason behind it. When I first received permission to remake the game, I was given a few this that didn't make it into the game the first time.

Wetham mentioned that due to the 25x25x25 constraints for the level design, he couldn't add all that he wanted. One of those being an armory room. In the game he added it, but it was small. I simply made it bigger and it now has a purpose. Also he wanted to have more NPC's in the game, but we all know why there was not.

Now I wrote a script that was approved by Wetham and there are more levels. As I said before, this is the origin level and yes it will be modified more as needed. For now I am happy with what is there.

In the script, Joe and Alice have more of a larger role than in the original. Joe is essentially the ship's chief engineer and according to the original script by Wetham, Alice was a fighter. You don't get to hear any dialogue from Alice and well, everyone else just stands there waiting to get shot. I am hoping to change that and with all of you as my beta testers and fans, this should turn out to be a better game than the original.

So what did I do in this update?

* I fixed some shaders and added the last of the normal maps.
* I added all the original cast of characters into the game with their updated looks.
* I changed all of the switches to use the touchscreens instead of the old one from fpsc.
* I added some particles for the SAM, teleport, exhaust vents and sparks.
* Added new Armory room with all the weapons and ammo a player would need.
* Added fuel spill that when shot catches on fire.(Not in current demo. Just a raycast at this time)
* Added "ESC" during load screen to bypass all that talking.
* Removed doors for testing purposes. Also doors not working properly(Code issue)
* Added animations to computers and interactions to some gameobjects.

Even though it doesn't seem like alot, but it was.

I hope to get some more tech crits this time round and of course, you all enjoy!

https://my.syncplicity.com/share/d0nksg3nkvttzmf/BLRv2%20PC
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Updated the levels with the Ironode. Fpsc animations are not translating very well into unity. I am guessing I am going to need to animate it myself. Also added a framerate counter to see where things were at. My lowest framerate was 12. Curious what some of you might get.

Use the mouse wheel to select the weapon and since at this point there is unlimited ammo, simply use the right mouse to reload.

Enjoy!

V3 Demo
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2019 20:05
My framerate got down to 4 in a couple places. 12 was prob my average. It's and older system...

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8120MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Display Memory: 4066 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

but FPSC runs a lot better.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
The game ran ok I was getting about 45 to 60 fps and my low was 18 to 20 fps.

Best of luck s4real
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "My framerate got down to 4 in a couple places. 12 was prob my average. It's and older system... "

Thank you!
Quote: " Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz"

I also have an i3 but 4170 @ 3.70GHz also looks like we have the same outdated graphics card

Quote: "but FPSC runs a lot better."

If it did, I would be making it in fpsc.

Quote: "The game ran ok I was getting about 45 to 60 fps and my low was 18 to 20 fps."

Thank you! Also it looks like your graphics card is better than both of us, with the exception mine seems to have a higher clock speed. Guess I need to upgrade.

Thank you all for the input! I have found a way to fix the framerate issues by GPU instancing. However, this doesn't always work. To fix that, I am hiding what the player sees and when it is needed it is shown. The problem really came down to draw calls, shaders, coroutines and lights. The heavier they are the more the framerate differed. If you were to put the game on it's "Fastest" setting and run the game, it has no framrate problems. So it really comes down to those four things and getting a balance. If fpsc was able to enable and disable level geometry base on what the player is looking at, then I could make it in fpsc.

I will get an updated version with the framerate fixed, now that I know my little test worked.
uzi idiot
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2019 13:59
I'm shocked to see that this is alive! It's been so long since I've seen this.
If something compiles on the first try. Something is terribly wrong.
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2019 17:19 Edited at: 19th Jul 2019 17:20
Quote: "I'm shocked to see that this is alive!"

Lol

Small little update of the progress. Weapon select and ammo pickup.
Pvt.Dan
Years of Service
User Offline
That’s great! Isn’t his hand a bit weird though
Medal of Honor
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "That’s great! Isn’t his hand a bit weird though"

Thanks! And yes, I have fixed that. However, I am going to be changing the weapon to the modern version of the tavor and hopefully get some nicer animations for it.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2019 08:28
@starmind, did you re-write FPS Creator Classic in some way for / in Unity?
Do you created a "converter", like the GG Loader for Game Guru to App Game Kit?

Or do you used only the *.X files and textures, and created the levels complety by hand and re-created and re-coded the movement, camera, and collisions and so on in Unity?
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@starmind, did you re-write FPS Creator Classic in some way for / in Unity?
Do you created a "converter", like the GG Loader for Game Guru to App Game Kit?

Or do you used only the *.X files and textures, and created the levels complety by hand and re-created and re-coded the movement, camera, and collisions and so on in Unity?"

To answer your questions in order.

Quote: "did you re-write FPS Creator Classic in some way for / in Unity?"

Nope

Quote: "Do you created a "converter", like the GG Loader for Game Guru to App Game Kit?"

Nope

Quote: "Or do you used only the *.X files"

Nope

Quote: "textures, and created the levels complety by hand and re-created and re-coded the movement, camera, and collisions and so on in Unity?"

Depending on the textures, yes. Some textures were remade as well as the normals. Normals took me a whole day to convert or make from scratch. All models were made or converted in blender or 3ds max. As far as coding goes, I recreated as much of the game as possible, but not fpsc.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Small little update to this.

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2019 16:08
That so super cool Starmind Terrific !!! Love the effects, high five !
My games never have bugs.... they just Explosys's

** WHERES MY YELLOW BUTTON ? **
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "That so super cool Starmind Terrific !!! Love the effects, high five !"

Thanks!

Here something I know you coders will find funny. Forget one little thing and boom.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Finished the flammables! I am a fan of Fallout, so had to add some spills.

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2019 13:15
@ Starmind WOW, just Wow !!! Now that's an explosion Now you're cooking with gas!
My games never have bugs.... they just Explosys's

** WHERES MY YELLOW BUTTON ? **
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Now you're cooking with gas!"

Nope, Fiadine!

Now for a totally off the topic post, I have updated my site yet again with all the FPSC official model packs. There are a few that are not up due to artist coop. Get them to release the packs and I will host them. Find a pack you(the artist) don't want hosted, contact me for the removal.

Have a pack you want me to host let me know. I am looking for those earlier model packs or tools that current links are now dead. Help me out?!

Otherwise enjoy!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 17:17:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 17:17:59