Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / 3rd Person Character Selection

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2019 00:46
Some of you may recall I posted a video some time ago on the possibilities of a 3rd-person character using current script commands.
After some work I was able to work out a script to "choose" what character you want to use for 3rd-person.
Video show a simple hud displayed, and by choosing a number your character comes into play. Note this is very rough and
only shows what's possible. I used three characters to choose from.

Next I see if "switching" characters while in game play is possible, my guess it is
My games never have bugs.... they just Explosys's

** WHERES MY YELLOW BUTTON ? **
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2019 00:03
That is epic Mike. That's why you get the badges.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice work on this .

Best s4real
Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2019 00:52
Thanks Sepp & S4real Should come in handy when needed. It's really only a simple script and works
just fine even with vanilla fpsc.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work!
Signature removed by moderator, max size 600x120
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2019 12:09
Thank you Starmind
I had some ask if the same is possible with a First Person type menu and yes it is. With just some basic scripting
I made a hud at the start menu to select which character you want to be, give the player that characters weapon/weapons
and spawn the others as enemies. Example video, all very rough and basic but the concept is there.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 4th Oct 2019 01:06
That's pretty cool! Multiple story lines or difficulties could be used depending on the selection, creating reason to play a game more than once.
Supermarket Killer: I got a bomb here! I'll kill her! I'll blow this whole place up!
Marion Cobretti: Go ahead. I don't shop here.
Tarabodej
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2019 12:12 Edited at: 4th Oct 2019 12:13
Cool! How can I use that, any download link?
 Dark Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 4th Oct 2019 13:52
You can switch between different characters with unique abilities, so they can interact with specific puzzle elements for each one. I can point Little Big Planet 3 as a good example https://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/20/a-closer-look-at-littlebigplanet-3s-new-characters
Well done ncmako
The best is yet to come...
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2019 13:35
Thanks guys

@ Tarabodej
Quote: " any download link? "

Being totally custom script a "single script for all" just wouldn't work. I could make a simple tutorial showing how ?
Only the titlepage.fpi is changed with this method. You would have to adjust things to meet your needs.

DarkLord Thanks Yes, different characters means also different Starting Points, weapons, variables..etc
An alternate game play for each character is viable.

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2019 01:46
Ok, so I took the idea and went a little further with the character selection menu. I now have a scrolling menu for multiple characters
to chose from. Next is to add weapons for the chosen character and maybe even texture changes ( i.e. clothing for 3rd person )

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice work on this taken fpsc further.

You keep pushing fpsc.

Best s4
Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
 Dark Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 7th Oct 2019 12:35 Edited at: 7th Oct 2019 12:36
ncmako you changed your first idea for ingame switchable characters with avatar pictures of the characters as a buttons in the main menu, that leads you to a defined levels? Each character has his own level or it's only one? What will be the next update, weapon and texture (skin) selection in the main menu?
The best is yet to come...
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2019 22:13
@ Dark Lord
Quote: "you changed your first idea for ingame switchable characters"

Kind of.... yes. I usually have several ideas running thru my head at once But your right, the first video shows selecting a 3rd person character is
possible and then next I wanted to see if old regular First-Person view was doable also, but with many multiple characters.

Quote: "leads you to a defined levels? Each character has his own level or it's only one?"

Right now I've only tested using the "same" level, But... you can have the character/player really start from any position on a map you choose to
with current commands giving the appearance of a different map / level.

You'll also notice with the first video I "loaded" the game level first before character selection, but with the second I have the character menu selection right on the "Main-Menu" screen,
then the game actually loads. I'm using Black ice V10.8 but all the commands are vanilla fpsc V1.20

I'm going to jump back to the 3rd-person now and see if I can get characters to "switch" in game" ???
Then try some scripts for textures & weapons swapping for the first person view.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 02:50:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 02:50:39