Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / [SOLVED] Networking outside of LAN

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have tried to go in the routers settings and
Forwarding the port plugging the ip address of the computer through ipconfig /all on the command prompt.. Also firewalls are all open at this time.. I also set the computer to a static ip through the ip v4 settings in the network settings of said computer.. I plugged in the ip address in the parameter of the joinnetwork() function. I created a server based project with the host commands and the port number matching the one on the routers settings and the one on the client project. I ran the server project as an .exe on the "server" computer and broadcasted the client program on 2 mobile devices. The server project printed the the 2 users name with a connection but they all were on the LAN. I used a 3rd phone and exported the client project to that 3rd user. I used the data instead of the wifi and it would not connect. What am i doing wrong here?

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

ruckertheron
Years of Service
User Offline

Maybe this could explain what I mean a bit better.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2019 21:49 Edited at: 29th Oct 2019 21:59
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Your 10.0.0.59 ip is an internal lan ip, you do want to forward to this, but for joining you need your external public ip, you can't get this from ipconfig because the pc doesn't actually know what it is. You can get it off the router or Google 'what is my ip'

Say your wan is 66.69.123.456, your router lan is 10.0.0.1 and your server is 10.0.0.59

Router must forward port 12000 to 10.0.0.59
Server listens on 12000
Client connects to 66.69.123.456:12000
Client hits router wan which is then forwarded to server lan
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
ruckertheron
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Say your wan is 66.69.123.456, your router lan is 10.0.0.1 and your server is 10.0.0.59"

Wow this is exactly true.. I feel ashamed of myself!! The external address is needed.. You are correct!! I don't even have to try it (even though I will right after this lol) To think I was ready for my CompTia Network + Certification!! You just humbled me Thanks!!
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2019 21:47
I did net+ and was system administrator for a few years before moving into software engineering full time. It's handy
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 16:46:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 16:46:40