Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Problem uploading a Update to Google Play. Android 9 version API level 28

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,
I am trying to upload an apk update of a game to the Google Play Store. It was created with AppGameKit Classic a couple of years ago, but now I have exported it in the new Android 9 version (API level 28).

The answer on Google Play is as follows:

"You are about to drop support for 9081 devices affecting 212 installs with this release. Unless this drop in support is intentional, review the reasons why these devices are unsupported to start supporting them again.
Reasons that these devices are unsupported:
Doesn't support framework version (9081 devices) safe: 28 and onwards "

Where is my mistake?

Thank you very much.
Dybing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2019 23:24
It's not a mistake.

I updated an App I've made using AppGameKit on Google Play just a couple of days ago. Thing is, with newer AppGameKit versions, one can not any longer set minimum Android version to 4.0.3 - it's been upped to 4.4. So no matter what you do, assuming it is a forced update of your app, you'll lose some users that have the app installed on a rather old Android Device.

I 'solved' it by (in the Google Play release panel) not retiring the old version - having it still available for those running older Android versions than 4.4 - and have all running 4.4 and newer update to the new version of the app. Granted, those running older versions are sort of parked insofar as not getting updates or new features, but they at least can use the app as it was before this recent update.
matiastvflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, OK!!
And that amount of unsupported devices is normal?
In your case, you had 9000 devices that were not supported, approximately?

Thank you very much, Dybing!
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2019 03:18 Edited at: 31st Oct 2019 03:19
"And that amount of unsupported devices is normal?"

The current supported devices list contains over 26,000 devices.
When a min requirement change like this happens, you'll usually see a lot of the older devices drop off the list.

Supported devices list in PDF and CSV: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1727131
Dybing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2019 03:48
I cant remember number of devices - but it was somewhere between 10-15% of users that would be stuck with old version of my app - that would work with Android 4.0.3 and up to but not including 4.4. Everyone else, from 4.4 and up, is along for the upgrade-ride, new features and all.

I just allowed in the release dashboard for older versions of my app to continue to serve those with older versions of Android. I could do that, as there was no breaking changes as such - however soon I know those without Android 4.4 or newer will lose reason to use the app as I cannot push new features to them.

But that is fine. The app I am discussing here is free, open source and I got no paying customers complaining about their 6 year old phone won't work with my app. You'd be surprised how many think very old gear should work with very new services...
matiastvflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Very good. excellent!
Thanks for the help, Dybing and Loktofeit
Goodbye!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 22:22:24
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 22:22:24