Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] Miles Destoke

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK
Posted: 1st Nov 2019 01:02 Edited at: 21st Nov 2020 04:25
Destoke

Developer: Nic / nxt

Story:
Working for a group of people known as X, you and the team set out on a mission to unveil an idenity which has thought to be the main cause of the ongoing crisis in the land.
After acquiring information about suspicious cases surrounding one corporation "Live", X heads out to infiltrate the area of their only known location: Live Corp. Warehouses.
You play as Miles Destoke, the group's must durable infiltrator.

Facility level test demo:
Download: HERE (140 MB)

Screenies:

Nic / nxt
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 1st Nov 2019 03:28
While it never crashed on me, I did fall through the floor and get stuck repeatedly before giving up.
It ran acceptably on my antique computer (Core i3 550 @ 3.2ghz w/ integrated Intel graphics)

Some things I liked:
Climbing on the Humvee and walking the plank to the pipe to get up to the next landing
Good use of dynamic switches
Lots of rooms, turns, and places for AI to hide
Use of storytelling to advance game play
Custom loading pages (music not so much LOL)

Some things I didn't like:
Finding the facility key on the floor in a mostly empty room. (pet peeve) Think of more inventive ways to access doors/areas
Light fixtures in the crawl ducts?
Glowing dynamic doors

It's a good start. Check out more FPSC games and see how others use the common elements in new and different ways.
Supermarket Killer: I got a bomb here! I'll kill her! I'll blow this whole place up!
Marion Cobretti: Go ahead. I don't shop here.
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2019 03:47
Appreciate the feedback! Will look into everything you noted down. Do you mind explaining what you did that made the player fall through the floor, and places you got stuck?

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2019 03:53
Quote: "Do you mind explaining what you did that made the player fall through the floor, and places you got stuck?"

Yeah... too many to recount. I do remember getting stuck behind crates a couple times. The large ones with no way to jump over. As for falling through the floor, multiple locations and no reasons I can think of.
Supermarket Killer: I got a bomb here! I'll kill her! I'll blow this whole place up!
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2019 23:39
Hey, this looks pretty decent so far!!

Some observations: The blocky segment nature of these buildings is kind of on the nose. They could do with some more architectural features!
Some scifi-ish props seem out of place and that structure in the second shot does not touch the ceiling. (Small stuff like this makes the props look less natural and more dragged and dropped there, if that makes sense.)

I'll give the demo a spin this weekend.

-Wolf
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2019 02:26
Thanks Wolf! Will look into making the levels less blocky, very good point. And also make the props look more natural.

I did a new demo for one of the "better looking" levels. This was inspired by xplosys saying:
Quote: "Think of more inventive ways to access doors/areas"

I'm hoping I can get the first levels to look like this level at some point.
There is three small bugs in this level that I will fix at a later occasion:

Download: HERE (629 MB)
(also updated the first post with this)

Feedback is very much appreciated on this level!

And a screenshot from the small level:

Nic
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2019 04:46
Much better looking level!
The routines to access doors are nice and the voice helps/works well.
There are a few odd things (sci-fi platform and door) that just don't seem to fit, but a serious improvement on the overall level design.
In the larger areas like the one in the screenshot, don't be afraid to break up the upper walls (signs, grills, fans, pipes, power lines, beams, whatever) when they can be seen.
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2019 05:06
Thank you for the comments! Yeah, I realize now how weird the scifi stuff looks next to the modern stuff. Probably gonna end up retexturing/changing those assets! Good point with the upper walls.

Do you think this is way too short to be a full level? The reason for asking, is that the level uses quite a bit of memory. I could extend it with a second puzzle maybe, or a fight area - but I want this game to be really stable in form of fpsc memory.

Nic
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2019 13:03
Try not to think in terms of modern games/engines. FPSC is never going to compete in terms of game speed and size. Keeping your levels to a small size and creating scenarios where the player must keep reusing the same space is an excellent way to go. I think it's just right.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2019 16:27
Hey Niclauke, this looks very interesting. Downloading now to try out.
Will let you know how it goes
My games never have bugs.... they just Explosys's

** WHERES MY YELLOW BUTTON ? **
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2019 10:08
Niclauke The test demo ran great. No problems whatsoever. I know it's still being worked on, but I found no issues.
The whole concept for this is terrific Cant wait to see more !

ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2019 21:55
Thank you ncmako! Really appreciate it!

Will upload more screenshots and info etc. when the game progresses further.

Nic
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2019 20:32
Updated first post with new screenshots!

If someone wants to test out a new build of the level, download it HERE.

I've had troubles running this sometimes, so you might want to add "dividetexturesize=2" to this. If this runs fine without, please let me know!
I'm wondering if my computer is troubling me or the game itself.

Nic
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2019 03:47
Niclauke - you're back!
What ever happened to your StuckOn13 project? Last I saw you had a really cool story and were going to hugely expand it from little demo you'd made.
Judging what we see is the greatest blinder and self-limiter in the universe.

What we perceive is never reality. It is only a story we tell ourselves based on our current perspective, which has far more to do with our beliefs about ourselves than with anything else.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@Niclauke :- Game ran fine for me without crashing.

Fpsc has some issues for some odd reason if the dividetexturesize=0 so its best to set it at dividetexturesize=2 and the levels run fine.

The strange thing is the levels don't even max out the memory set to 0 so have to look into the source more why set to 0 is crashing.

Back to the Game :-

Great game play and puzzles.
I noticed you been using head shots in the game.
Didn't find any issues at the moment but I have been cheating and using the latest unreleased version of black ice mod with fixes so that might be why there no issue
I can find.(great game for testing the source.)

Keep up the good work

best s4real
Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2019 13:52
Niclauke Big improvement over the first demo. Ran much better for me, and no problems at all !
I set the dividetexturesize=2 so I wouldn't have any issues.
Love the "knife", placement of items, nice puzzle like style to it Keep working on this one for sure.
I'll try running it with dividetexturesize=0 and see what happens and let you know.
Till then, thanks

ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2019 00:57
Thank you both for checking it out!

Great that you could use this for testing the source s4real, hope the next update has a good workaround/fix on that dividetexturesize thingy or atleast maybe a debug report so you can see what went wrong? Maybe asking too much there.. anyways, thanks a lot for playing and thanks for the comments, appreciate it. Yeah, i'm not sure exactly how appearwithheadshot works in the case of Dark AI, if it's the same thing as using the standard AI scripts or different. Sometimes they need atleast two shots to the head before dying etc. (which is kind of a good thing or else it would be way too easy I think..)

Thank you ncmako for the comments! Yeah, the first demo was levels I made last year. I tried something new this time with making a small level interesting, and I will keep on doing that for future levels. I will definately finish this project!

Nic
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2019 20:11 Edited at: 18th Dec 2019 20:12
I gave your latest demo a spin and here are some of my thoughts:

Visually it works alright, as a short snippet of something that will be, without a doubt, larger its hard to gauge what art style you are going for. You see, I gathered that I was in a warehouse but that was really it. Some anachronistic stuff here and there, like certain scifi elements mixed with urban decay didn't go so well with what I assume is a modern day setting. You also submerged one of my scifi fuse box props into the floor, but the handle is still visible

Generally it was alright, the puzzles where easy enough to understand and the game ran fine.

My biggest gripe of the game was with the voice work, not the quality of it, but the fact that it was used so frequently. It seemed like the character is constantly muttering to himself and given the tight spaces of the level, it was easy to trigger two at once and have the character talk over himself. You also have kind of a late night radio jockey voice for him which makes it seem like he is relaxing with a glass of wine...maybe had a valium to go with it...rather than a guy in some kinda armed conflict. I know voice work for games can be tougher to do than expected first hand but I believe you should overhaul this before you go for a final release.

There where some visual quirks here and there... things that should emit light not doing so, things that emit light not being lit entirely, objects from GG that have LOD stages flickering... so on.

What really stood out to me was the chill overall tone and the great music! I think you could really make this game work if you put your mind to it!

So cheers!

-Wolf
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2020 21:35
Hey Wolf! Sorry for the late reply. Appreciate the comments, thank you! Noted a lot of stuff down!

The voice actor (I loved your comment on the voice ,hah ) and all the voice clips/acting are just placeholders ..mostly to insert required info into the player's brain, I put this in so the people who would test the game didn't get lost. This will be replaced with fewer voice lines, another voice actor ..and an objectives screen so you can see what the player "noticed" he needs to do if you're stuck. I do appreciate the comments on the acting and the amount though, noted!

I'm also glad you liked the tone and the music, I put a lot of work into making all that fall together!

Nic
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2020 05:08 Edited at: 12th Nov 2020 05:09
Getting back to work on this! New screenies in the first post.

Nic
ScooT9
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Half-Life: WAR
Posted: 12th Nov 2020 06:51 Edited at: 12th Nov 2020 06:51
good work! also are you using the stock fpsc weapons as placeholder or are they final? if you're including them in final version then i suggest using Simon Benge's stock weapon rigs on model pack 6 hands good luck with your game!
hi, i'm a random guy who's making random games with random game engines for random reasons

ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2020 04:04
thanks ScooT9! they are mostly just as a placeholder yeah, a fun throwback to how all FPSC games used to look like, haha!

Nic

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 07:24:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 07:24:52