Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / Amytric Pulse - Operation Euridike

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2019 23:52 Edited at: 6th Nov 2019 09:53

PLEASE READ THESE FOUR POINTS BEFORE YOU PLAY!

* This game uses the dividetexturesize = 2 command and runs therefore in half resolution. Sadly, this was necessary to get it to run at all. You can change this value back to 1 or 0 in the setup.ini if you wish to try running it in full resolution, as intended. Now, this will likely crash but if it happens to run for you, please let me know.

* While in game, you can press F12 to activate reshade. This will tint the game differently, add anti aliasing and a few other neat post processing improvements. It really does mask the fact that it runs in half resolution a bit HOWEVER
if you run re-shade: The loading screens will now no longer be visible. This means that you will miss out on the lore that I have put into those. If you wish to read them, you can switch re-shade off when a level is about to end (second autosave in a level) or read them as PNG files I packed with the game.

* Sometimes you might get a subscript out of bounds error during level load. This will usually not repeat if you restart the game, load your last save and continue again. I am sorry for the inconvenience and can understand if this is a deal breaker for you. However, with FPSC a lot of things are always compromises.

* IMPORTANT: This game runs in 1920*1080 by default. You can edit this by changing the "height" and "width" lines in the setup.ini with your preferred resolution.

Hey Gang!

I'm happy to finally release the public version of Amytric Pulse! Please let know what you think of the game, I always appreciate your feedback!

DOWNLOAD MEDIAFIRE

Amytric Pulse - Operation Euridike is a straight forward action fps with some subdued adventure elements.

I understand that through the years I have earned a bit of a reputation of doing new things in FPSC, new techniques, models, shaders... none of that is here. This is just a somewhat simple FPSC shooter and I guarantee that nothing about it reinvents the wheel. However I'm pretty confident that it'll be good fun.
You can expect the same type of game I used to release around 2010. I've specifically designed it to work within the limits of the memory cap while still featuring a lot of action, that is why some scenes seem a bit barren or low-poly. You can visit my art station gallery to see some of these older projects. In a way I am really glad I released this game as it is very similar in style and substance as the old FPSC SF "Shavra" games of which only 2 where finalized, albeit with game breaking problems. (See one of them here.)

P L O T

Personal Log of Agent Anja Sorensdottir:

Operation Scythe, a coordinated international offensive against the transgenic Collective was a dire failure and cost us most of our men and resources. While we managed to weaken the mutant forces significantly, they have struck us with such a fatal blow that it might have just been the final nail in the coffin for humanity as we know it.

Task Force Zero has already been reduced to a single active unit and in the wake of this grand assault, our men have been taken captive by the Collective.
Now reduced to a skeleton crew we concocted a plan to rescue our agents. Its really nothing more than a last ditch effort..., to send in the last remaining member of the Task Force, with hopes that he single-handedly exfiltrates a dozen captives from a formidable high security military installation.

However, to Agent Grimms immense credit he has accepted the mission without any hesitation. He appears confident that there is a chance for us to make a dent into their defenses and his demeanor had a calming effect on me during our preparations. If he can remain so restrained even though his fiancée is among those captured, why should I be such a nervous wreck? After all
he is the one actually sent in there while I'll only observe through his info-link.

We'll drop Grimm over the Qasqir Tower military installation, once a brutalist monument to the military strength of the Pan-Asian Coalition, now a center of operations for the Collective.
High altitude, low opening in the dead of night. There is a distinct chance he will not be noticed as the mutants likely don't expect a break in from the top. It is up to him to interface me with the buildings intranet so I can lock out the reinforcements from the lower levels of the tower. After that all he has is about an hour, maybe hour and a half before they circumnavigate my efforts and he'll be so outgunned that even a man of his caliber and particular skill set will be outmatched. If our agents are still alive, he is to find them. Our thermal-echolocation scan of the building revealed them to be held near the helipads, that is our only chance. If he manages to get to them in time we can send in a stealth helicopter to retrieve them. A lot of "ifs" and "buts" and no certainty.

I understand that I am likely the most efficient hacker still operating for the collective but I'd dread to be the one on com-line while they send Morgan Grimm to his death.

F E A T U R E S

* Its a new FPSC game that isn't a dull walking simulator with the spoopy closet monster! Yay!
* 9 Levels, some of them might even be good!
* Custom sound design and voice acting
* That homely old janky amateur production quality
* The game is kinda blue, its stylistically designed to be this way but I might have gone too far in a few places. (if you go with the intended look by pressing F12.)
* Sometimes you even get free surprise run-time errors! (I am sorry)

V I D E O S

SPOILERS

S C R E E N S H O T S

Notes to my Beta Testers

* Replaced initial appearance of Qasqir Tower to make it more coherent with what it looks in-game
* You should no longer be able to glitch through the vent shaft in level 3
* Additional Save Points and Save Points placed better
* Game Difficulty reduced with new AI in places
* Hostiles no longer use rocket launchers (subscript error still persists though)
* Clear Info Sheet in level 1 to explain what a health pack is
* G36 improved and picking up a rifle no longer loops the entire reload sound.
* Garage Door no longer opens into oblivion
* Some static health items are now dynamic

Not improved are:
* Error where the player is stuck after respawn. I was not able to replicate the issue
* Lack of interactivity in some areas. Given how I have to already run this at half resolution I was hesitant to add more HUD images... so if a console does not have an interaction prompt (F) its not interactive.

Thanks for checking it out!
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK
Posted: 3rd Nov 2019 17:57 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2019 17:59
Started playing yesterday and finished today, and I must say - well done. This game is beautifully crafted, amazing job on creating this. What I found most appealing was both the level and the sound design. The atmosphere (both audio and visually) of the levels really made me feel I was playing a good game, instead of thinking I was playing an FPS creator game. I had to scout through all the levels just to see everything you had put into this, and I was very amazed!

Some thoughts on the levels (might be SPOILERS):

All in all, great work of art. Really impressed with this game.

Nic
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2019 16:50 Edited at: 4th Nov 2019 16:52
Thanks for playing Nic! I'm glad you enjoyed the game

Quote: "The atmosphere (both audio and visually) of the levels really made me feel I was playing a good game, instead of thinking I was playing an FPS creator game."

Thats high praise! Thank you!

Also glad to see some feedback!

As for the difficulty: Thats hard to gauge correctly. The beta was three times as hard with some enemies having hyper aggressive AI that could tear down your health in seconds.
I've removed it for the final release as the majority of my beta testers found it too punishing. Now I thought it was too easy but I see its still challenging (which is a good thing.)
Now generally the game plays best with a semi aggressive approach but its also intended that the player seeks cover before he attacks enemies rather than exposing himself. Maybe an additional level that makes that clear would have been in order but I also gave the player 15 lives (visible on the bottom left) so he doesn't have to go "game over" and re-load the game Its probably not that you suck at FPSC games, its just that I need to be more precise in explaining the game to the player next time before I throw in a dozen enemies. Also FPSC's hit scan weapons and the lack of directional sound just doesn't make the combat elegant... yet I think, as far as FPSC firefights go, the game holds up.

Quote: "Level 5 is probably the best i've seen with this engine"

Oh thank you!! Its the last level I made for the game as the original design didn't build in FPSC. The whole part with the large room and the lifts was added as kind of a large ditch attempt before I had to scrap the map and luckily, it built!! It was also a good opportunity as I had enough downtime to put in more plot via intercom.

Quote: "There is also an invisible door in level 8 by the start if you go to the left."

Aww! And I thought I fixed that. Yes, these doors tend to warp their textures out of existance depending on the angle you look at them. I never figured out why, just not gonna use them in a future game.

Quote: "There were also some small textures missing on the gas fuel thingie?"

Yes. I assume that is because of the game running in half resolution as they appeared properly in test game. Some garbage in a FPSC release is okay and I chose not to rebuild the game trying to fix that

-Wolf
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@wolf :- Well what a game this is def one of the best games made in fpsc for a long time.

I did find the levels very hard even when you made them easier some of them just shoot until you dead in a few seconds.

Level 2 seems almost impossible but I managed to pass the level with just 1 health lol.

level 3 this level was a easier to complete so all good there.

level 4 not got pass it yet lol.

==================================================================================================

The pros :-

Good design
Good voice over.
Great game play.
welldesigned.
Good use of lighting.
no framedrops.(but feel you need a good system to play.)

The con's

Game for me is still a little to hard .

well done on the release.

Best s4real

Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2019 06:11 Edited at: 7th Nov 2019 13:20
Hey s4! Thanks for playing and all the feedback!

Quote: "level 4 not got pass it yet lol."

Oh I'm sorry to hear that :/ I will make sure my next game will have a more balanced difficulty curve. Now, if you want to give it another try, there is a video linked in the original post where I play level 4 myself, or, alternatively, here is a video of my pal Duke playing it. LINK

-Wolf
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2019 17:59
@ Wolf Terrific work !!! Finally finished this jewel of a game. And, Wow what a ride it was
Best shooter made so far with fpsc. The atmosphere, sounds & voice overs all come together nicely for a good experience.
Well laid out levels, and good battles with enemies makes for just the right fps game. These are the kind of games we love.
Thank you Wolf

Only cons/problems I had were,
1:That little problem with getting into/jumping into the vent shaft (level 4 I think) from a crate, I wound up on the roof again.
Need to jump just right to get into the shaft.

2: I tried to get a screen shot but it didn't save for some reason, level-7 I think, one or two "door" textures were missing? One can see out into the empty map area
Could be just one of those fpsc glitches.. lol

3: Sometimes, Not always... when the player died, I would re-spawn, then "slowly" sink into the floor and get stuck/frozen ???
Only happened 3-4 times ? throughout all 9 levels. Strange

4: After playing one or more levels the next level loading crashes, no consistency to when it would crash. Just during "loading" next level.
I believe we have all mentioned this same problem as a memory issue with fpsc itself
My games never have bugs.... they just Explosys's

** WHERES MY YELLOW BUTTON ? **
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 7th Nov 2019 20:34
There's no way I'm going to get through this, though I did make it into the second level. My GeForce card died and I'm stuck with the integrated Intel Graphics @ 128MB. . I'm getting a max of 14FPS and when enemies show up, it's like and old flip book. Any more than 2 and I'm dead.

What I've seen so far in terms of game play and level design is awesome. It kind of pisses me off that you seem to be able to do it so quickly and easily but...
Seriously nice work. Thanks for the fun.
Supermarket Killer: I got a bomb here! I'll kill her! I'll blow this whole place up!
Marion Cobretti: Go ahead. I don't shop here.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2019 14:24
@ncmako Thanks for playing and all your feedback!

Quote: "Best shooter made so far with fpsc. The atmosphere, sounds & voice overs all come together nicely for a good experience.
Well laid out levels, and good battles with enemies makes for just the right fps game. These are the kind of games we love."

Oh thanks a lot!! I'm happy that you've enjoyed it.
I've had quite a few games like this practically completed all these years ago! Sadly they never built or ran in the FPSC versions available back then. Its a shame, because we still had a larger community at the time...but alas!

Quote: "I wound up on the roof again."

Heh! I tried to block it off better this time... well, next time I won't design an environmental puzzle like this. Should have done a bit more testing to make double sure players can no longer glitch out of the map

Quote: "Sometimes, Not always... when the player died, I would re-spawn, then "slowly" sink into the floor and get stuck/frozen ??? "

Yes, another player mentioned this to me as well, so far I was not able to replicate the issue but I did have this problem in older FPSC games of mine, like Euthanasia.

I hope you'll also try my next FPSC title!

@xplosys: Oh dear, yes, I can see how this won't run at all with an integrated card. I hope you find the time to give it another spin once/if you upgraded to a new computer. I also fully intend to do that walkthrough version. Its just that building an FPSC game of this size takes several hours and I didn't have the time to do it. Well...no, thats not entirely true... I had the time where I could have let the computer run but I didn't remember to do so. So! I will find the time AND remember soon.

Quote: "What I've seen so far in terms of game play and level design is awesome. It kind of pisses me off that you seem to be able to do it so quickly and easily but...
Seriously nice work. Thanks for the fun. "

My pleasure! Thanks a lot! And yes, the magical thing about TGC's game making software is how fast you can set up a project. I tried many times to have that really advanced project, where I'd tinker away for a year or more and produce something really tried, tested and polished but I just can't muster up that discipline for something that is, in the end, supposed to be a fun hobby. It eventually becomes a chore. So yes, FPSC allows you to start a project and have it out in motion in 2 months given that you put in an hour or 2 every other day and you just won't ever see that with the unreal engine. So quick? Yes! Easy? Kinda... making the game is easy in a lot of ways but getting it to run, compromising and fixing stuff is still demanding. I am glad that I had help this time around from people who are far more skilled than I am. Again, there would be no game without s4real and Nomad!

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2019 23:22
Well, my friend, you have done it again, producing another top quality (if extremely challenging at first) effort. I haven't properly messed around in FPSC for over 5 years, nor have I posted on these forums since moving to Game Guru, so take it as a compliment that I felt compelled to seek out this showcase thread in its natural habitat so I could give you my review.

OK well let's start with the obvious - the game is very well designed and presented. There's a huge array of FPSC assets, Game Guru assets, and your own custom models that all work seamlessly together and look coherent. It must have taken a long time to get them all looking right. That alone would be commendable, but it's your confidence with FPSC's lighting capabilities, paired with Black Ice Mod and ReShade, that elevate this game and give it a wonderful sense of ambience. The levels feel lived in, and - crucially - don't immediately scream "this game was made in FPSC!". Level design is pretty good, although once or twice on my first run, I didn't realise I have to backtrack so got a bit lost looking for items or switches I'd missed. I know you like your games to be oozing with lore, and it's fairly abundant here and works reasonably well, even if the majority of it is delivered via loading screens. I enjoyed the banter between Morgan and Anja, I almost wish there was more of it.

Gameplay-wise, I'm not the first person to have found this game more than a little challenging. When the game crashed on my first run, I had 3 lives left on level 4. I completed the game on my second run, but only after I mastered the crouch-scope-and-peek approach. Given how reliant this game is on peeking during combat, I would have expected there to be a tutorialised section on it. I know you put a bit in one of the loading screens, but honestly I saw that as more of a throwaway hint than a crucial skill. Users running ReShade throughout wouldn't have seen that hint at all. And yet, other mechanics like the hacking drones and breakable glass did have tutorials but only showed up a handful of times during the game. This, I feel, is one of the missed opportunities of this game - you don't teach the player the right things they need to complete it. Consequently there's a few areas where lots of players - myself included on my first run - get incredibly frustrated by being confronted by seemingly impossible odds. The enemies are by and large pin-point accurate at a range of 1,000m, and have instantaneous reactions, and there were plenty of times I thought I was in cover because I couldn't see them but I still took hits. Peaking, people, peaking. Once I gave it a go on level 6, I never looked back, and the rest of the game became relatively straight-forward, even the "boss fight". You know what I really would have appreciated though when I was pinned down by three shotgun-wielding surgeons and a big steel mech? Grenades. I so wished I could have tossed a little chaos pineapple into their ranks and watched them burn, but alas, I guess I'm just sadistic. Generally though, the gameplay was good, if a little repetitive; lots of key-finding, vent-crawling, peeky-shooting, and occasionally box-climbing. I personally would have preferred Anja to have a little more impact on the environment, make more of the hacking drones.

Sound design is an area many FPSC (and GG) games overlook, but this one does attempt to differentiate itself from the usual FPSC fare, with mixed results - the music is nice and atmospheric and, as I've already mentioned, I liked the comms chatter between you and...whoever played Anja (is there a Mrs Wolf!?). The music did tend to drop out at random points though, and then sometimes come back in. I suspect this is more of an FPSC thing than to do with you. The sound effects were a little inconsistent; some, like the mega health packs, had great meaty sounds that were top notch. Others...not so much. The mech sounded like it was firing a rapid-fire potato gun, rather than a machine gun. It was nice to hear chatter from the enemies too, both before encounters and during their deaths, though - again - there was inconsistency here as some sounded professionally recorded, others sounded like generic finds from online, and others sounded like you'd recorded some death screams with your phone late one Tuesday night (if this is the case, props to you, and I pity your neighbours!).

I do have some thoughts on the plot, but I'll protect people from spoilers by popping them in here:

I did encounter some bugs and errors during my playthrough. I got a "runtime error 118" message several times whilst loading levels (4, 5 and 7 I believe). On level 3, I jumped on the boxes to get in the air vent and went straight through the ceiling and ended up above the level, walking on the roof. I see ncmako complained of that too. I also had the slowly-sinking-through-the-floor bug on my first run at level 4. There's also a missing door at the beginning of level 7 or 8 from which you can see, and step out into, the skybox. All things considered though, it's amazing it runs as well as it does - I could never get anything to run from FPSC without issues!

Overall then, Amytric Pulse - Operation Euridike is a challenging, immersive game, featuring excellent lighting and level design, which harkens back to FPS games of old. It is a well-polished, if a little inconsistent, game that rewards patience and exploration. It doesn't do anything particularly groundbreaking, even for an FPSC game, but what it does do it does competently and with enough panache to draw you in to the cyberpunk world it inhabits. It's made by a developer who is clearly comfortable in the tools he is working with, and cares about player experience and putting on a good show, not unlike myself! Perhaps that's why I like it so much. Anyway, well done mate, it's nice to see you still turning your hand to projects like this despite having moved on to Unity.

AE
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2019 02:17 Edited at: 25th Nov 2019 02:20
Thank you for your feedback AE its truely valuable!

Quote: "OK well let's start with the obvious - the game is very well designed and presented. There's a huge array of FPSC assets, Game Guru assets, and your own custom models that all work seamlessly together and look coherent. It must have taken a long time to get them all looking right. That alone would be commendable, but it's your confidence with FPSC's lighting capabilities, paired with Black Ice Mod and ReShade, that elevate this game and give it a wonderful sense of ambience. The levels feel lived in, and - crucially - don't immediately scream "this game was made in FPSC!"."

Thank you! That means a lot coming from you!

Quote: "Given how reliant this game is on peeking during combat, I would have expected there to be a tutorialised section on it."

I've had this come up a few times before and I find difficulty something that is hard to get right. I wanted the game to be a challenge yet I also wanted every player to be able to finish it. Seeing people play it on YT and hearing from you guys I found that its a bit different for everyone yet mentions that its a bit too hard where overwhelming the people that breezed through it rather easily. I took this to heart and will overhault the combat for my next release! As for the peeking: I didn't want it to be TOO obvious on purpose because the AI simply won't react to you when you do so Now, the AI scripts are decent enough that they fire a few rounds or strafe when shot upon but they are otherwise oblivious to you when you peek. So not that everyone views the AI as worse than it is, I only included a mention to it after first impressions told me that its too hard... the beta version had way more aggressive enemies and I am glad I took those out. Well, I do a more balanced job next time, I hope.

Quote: "You know what I really would have appreciated though when I was pinned down by three shotgun-wielding surgeons and a big steel mech? Grenades."

I aim to include those in the sequel as I plan it to have slightly more dynamic environments. You see, the way the game is made does not shine a spotlight on the fact that the levels are largely static. Once the player has explosives, he'd excpect things breaking and stuff flying off the shelves and I thought the lack of that would not make a good impression. Its a good point. Weapon variety, as in more types of weapons is a thing that a longer game would really need. I hoped to give the players something fresh with the isotope round rifle in level 4.

Quote: "I enjoyed the banter between Morgan and Anja, I almost wish there was more of it. "

Haha! Thanks! Well, this was the first time we did it and it was a lot of fun. We did some karaoke afterwards I had some bad reactions to my voice acting in my older games, yet my english was far less understandable and the sound quality was worse. I had no idea how the players would react to it, or even understand our accents, and I am more than happy that everyone thought it was charming so far. There will definately more VO in the next games I make.

Quote: "whoever played Anja (is there a Mrs Wolf!?)."

Haha! Yes, that was Mrs Wolf. I'll include more voice work in future installments. I hope you don't mind if I hit you up for a few lines as well. As for the music, a lot of tunes I originally made for Acythian, which had larger, open levels with way more ambient noise...so if you'd enter an interesting area or something plot related happens, a sound stinger would emphasize that. Here in FPSC it did indeed sound like the music just cut out and I also find some tracks where only somewhat fitting.

Quote: "there was inconsistency here as some sounded professionally recorded, others sounded like generic finds from online, and others sounded like you'd recorded some death screams with your phone late one Tuesday night "

Haha, yes those where mostly stuff I grabbed off game banana and some are really old ones I released 10 years ago and did, indeed record...not with a phone but an old digital camera.

Quote: "The ending felt rushed and did not have the conclusion I was expecting."

Absolutely! Good point. I initially wanted to have an intro and an outro video...but as I have no real experience with video editing and as I wanted the game to be finished when it was time to start working on it, I didn't want to water down the quality with "babys first steps in davinci: resolve".
Spoilers:

Haha! Yes!! Absolutely. I noticed that when I was pretty far with the game already and decided then that if I make a sequel (which is now in the works) I'd mention in the very beginning that their relationship has always been difficult and that she left him now for the other agent in her cell.
The fact that he not only rescues his brothers in arms but also his fiancee is a remnant from the first draft, where the game was supposed not to have any plot to speak off to further give the player character an incentive to go forward. Kinda Duke Nukem "They stole our babes? Not on my watch!"

All bugs you mentioned have been brought up several times. With s4reals and nomads help I'll likely be able to release an update at some point that will iron these out...but you probably know that an FPSC game without the occasional run time error would be nearly utopic.

Quote: " There's also a missing door at the beginning of level 7 or 8 from which you can see, and step out into"

Blasted! Yes... it warps in and out of existence depending from where you look at it. I couldnt figure out why, the mesh seemed fine and I thought I had it fixed before I released the game. I'll make sure to never use that particular door again

Quote: " It's made by a developer who is clearly comfortable in the tools he is working with, and cares about player experience and putting on a good show, not unlike myself!"

thank you! And I agree... Panache is something we had a lot in FPSC's golden days and I really wish we had more of that enthusiasm, creativity and dedication in the GG community. Everything feels a lot more lethargic over there in comparison.

Thanks again for the review!

-Wolf
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2019 23:29
Quote: "As for the peeking: I didn't want it to be TOO obvious on purpose because the AI simply won't react to you when you do so"

That's totally understandable and AI was always one of the shortcomings with FPSC. Perhaps one solution would be to not always have the player approach enemies face-on. I noticed in most of the combat situations, the enemies were there waiting for the player when they arrive; the difficulty here for new players is there aren't familiar with the geography of the space they are playing in, so moving forward becomes a grind of moving from cover to cover and peeking out. If you were to maybe engineer a couple of scenarios were the player gets a heads up on the room ahead and the enemies in it first, they could better plan their attack. Also, the big frustration about level 4's killer foyer is the bottleneck of the doorway. Presenting multiple access points to a space might give players more options. The enemies also tended to just be standing there. I don't know if you had waypoint/pathfinding issues, but having some enemies patrol would allow the player to not always rely on peeking as the enemy would be exposed at different points. It might even be possible to slip past enemies unnoticed in true Thief/Deus Ex style!

Quote: "You see, the way the game is made does not shine a spotlight on the fact that the levels are largely static. Once the player has explosives, he'd excpect things breaking and stuff flying off the shelves and I thought the lack of that would not make a good impression."

I'd be prepared to sacrifice dynamic objects for a decent grenade, but maybe that's just because I know the limitations of FPSC. Then again, how did we all manage back in the 90s before dynamic physics objects? Also, just as idea, your games are cyberpunk-y so why not some kind of EMP grenade? No explosion, just blue sparks etc.

Quote: "I had some bad reactions to my voice acting in my older games, yet my english was far less understandable and the sound quality was worse."

In an age of free text-to-speech engines, it's commendable to hear people still picking up microphones are doing it properly....in a second language no less!!

Quote: "I hope you don't mind if I hit you up for a few lines as well. "

Happy to help, if you don't mind my painfully English-white-middle-class voice

Quote: "As for the music, a lot of tunes I originally made for Acythian, which had larger, open levels with way more ambient noise"

Yes I listened to the soundtrack video on YouTube and you can tell they don't quite fit the confined environments of this game but they still helped sell the cyberpunk theme and I felt the ambience alluded to a bigger world beyond what the game itself was showing me, like I was part of something grander.

Discussing plot below:

Quote: "Panache is something we had a lot in FPSC's golden days and I really wish we had more of that enthusiasm, creativity and dedication in the GG community. Everything feels a lot more lethargic over there in comparison."

I know what you mean. I think FPSC got to a point where it was reasonably good at doing one or two things, whereas Game Guru has tried to be all things to all people and can't currently do any of it particularly well. I spent some time this weekend over at Starmind's website, downloading and playing old FPSC games and oh heck, the nostalgia! Good memories from those times.

AE
joelguy22
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 3rd Dec 2019 04:27
This look awesome! I can't wait to try it.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2019 03:13
@joelguy: Thank you!

@AE: There is a video out of me going through Level 4 here but I've taken an aggressive approach and let people shoot me on purpose so it feels more dynamic. There is a video on my channel of Bugsy playing through my older game "Deprivationirect Action" and he just took all enemies out before they even had a chance to react. I wanted to avoid that as potential players might stumble upon these. However, for the playthrough of which I'll upload part 2 soon I'll be playing it straight and as intended and I take some time to analyze the difficulty of it. For my next game I want the combat to be challenging without the player resorting to the peeking function. I might even deactivate it entirely.

Quote: "I don't know if you had waypoint/pathfinding issues, but having some enemies patrol would allow the player to not always rely on peeking as the enemy would be exposed at different points. It might even be possible to slip past enemies unnoticed in true Thief/Deus Ex style!"

Yes I did. They did either not at all switch to combat when close to an enemy or only occasionally. There are actually such enemies in level 6, which was the first map I made for this game. Luckily all players so far have shot the enemies before they noticed that they would never react to them.
As for Thief/Deus Ex...I'd love to be able to have a true stealth option but that is hard to do in any engine. With FPSC you have the additional issue that if enemies don't despawn eventually you will dramatically lose FPS... so all enemies have to be disposed during an encounter.

Quote: "not some kind of EMP grenade? No explosion, just blue sparks etc."

Thats a good solution. I made one way back for "Reaper Harbour" and might just repurpose that. I have to see how I go about combat for the next game. This one should be more story based and have a bit of a noir/detective feeling to it so I don't know yet if I'll include such heavy weapons.

Quote: "Happy to help, if you don't mind my painfully English-white-middle-class voice"

Not at all, you'd be perfect for another comm voice that chimes in with one or two extra paragraphs during the game.

Quote: "Yes I listened to the soundtrack video on YouTube and you can tell they don't quite fit the confined environments of this game but they still helped sell the cyberpunk theme and I felt the ambience alluded to a bigger world beyond what the game itself was showing me, like I was part of something grander."

Thank you!! thats great to hear. I have already recorded a new soundtrack for the sequel. I also made it a point to have the tracks to be longer and a bit less somber in parts. As for the qasqir tower, I tried to give it a bit of a haunted undercurrent... I don't think that was successful as combat was too frequent.

Quote: "Starmind's website, downloading and playing old FPSC games and oh heck, the nostalgia! Good memories from those times."

Haha! Oh yes. A lot of good old projects are entirely forgotten by new FPSC users so I am glad they are archived somewhere.

-Wolf
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2021 16:34
I've forgotten to share that there is a tweak you can install to have less frequent crashes:

LINK : https://www.indiedb.com/games/amytric-pulse-operation-euridike/downloads/amytric-pulse-tweak
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2021 17:38
Amazing game. Incredible

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:29:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:29:34