Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / May I Rant about my 3d software frustration?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2019 07:58 Edited at: 11th Dec 2019 16:40
Fragmotion is retarted! I really don't know how some of you use only that, I also hate blender, 3ds, maya, and those are my nemesi! Why can't selecting what you want to move where you want them be simple like in motionbuilder? Simple, click the thing you want to select and viola! it is selected ! They must have had to hire a redneck to figure that out because it seems like the smarter people are the more ignorant they get about intuitive interfaces. But then, if I'm in mobuild I can't just import an animated obj skeleton either, cause someone is too stupid to make sure I could use it for that, and then of course fragmo can export obj, but cant import it back. I've been trying to get a skeleton baked to weapon hands & guitar for hours , so mad!!! And of course I can't import .x in mobuild either. Cant run maya cause of my gpu, and blender just makes me angry, and 3ds, well all I got to say is that if you are releasing a suite of softwares then simple things like camera controls and the tree should be the same
FragMo was right to use filetype .ugh! Omg UGH! And by the way I'm what you call a heathen, why must I type in your religious beliefs every time I open your software? Oh wait, I don't gotta! You are not the only player on the block. May Thor, the thunder god, fry your computer with a bolt of lightning

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2019 20:06 Edited at: 11th Dec 2019 20:07
You may... but I get the sense that you're making things more difficult for yourself.
As a first point., if you can run Motion Builder... then you can also run Mud Box and Maya. Autodesk (Alias) develop all three of these products from the same Core, which much to the frustration of it's User Base (myself included) typically means that while individual features might be modern the actual foundation for the application is actually quite archaic.

The last major overhaul was in 2013 - 2014., with the increase in Minimum Requirements from DirectX 9 / OpenGL 2.0 to DirectX 11 / OpenGL 3.4 (although Legacy Mode OpenGL does still support OpenGL 2.0 Devices).
This means any Graphics from 2012 on-ward is "Compatible" (or if you're using AMD, anything 2010 onward) … so it's strange that it doesn't run on your system, because it would have to be REALLY out-of-date.
But what's more weird about that is that Maya, Motion Builder and Mud Box all use the same Framework Engine; meaning if you can run one., you can run the others.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/sites/default/files/HardwareCertification_MayaResults_2016_EXT1.pdf
SolaraV
Years of Service
User Offline
Motionbuilder is FAST on my pc. It actually loads faster than any other application I have installed. If everything else was this fast i'd be doing really well right now
xilith117
Years of Service
User Offline
I am confused. You have to do more than just click something to select it? All of the apps you just mention select objects with a single click.
Check out my website Xilith.com for free 3D assets.
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2019 05:23
I enjoy blender but i dont enjoy blender after the 2.8 update and the entire interface rehaul. Hands down the fastest and most powerful software ive ever used. it replaced my video and audio editors as well and almost photoshop.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2020 21:10
Blender is the BEST!
-Keith
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2020 02:01
Quote: "Blender is the BEST!"

Indeed it is... it makes great smoothies and milkshakes... very versatile.
There\'s no problem that can\'t be solved without applying a little scripting.
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm with smerf. Blender made too big of a change in one patch. Its ridiculous to expect hobbyist to learn all the new changes instantly.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2020 20:52
How "amazing" Blender is, frankly is subjective.
From a purely pragmatic standpoint in terms of the available Tools and Features... it is without a doubt a very capable Development Tool.

The problem with it however is that it very much marches to the beat of it's own drum.
That might not seem like a bad thing if you're "New" to 3D Art., but for those who have extensive experience with 3D Studio Max, Modo, Maya, Silo, etc... the idiosyncratic aspect of Blender can be extremely difficult to deal with.
While I'm aware that 2.79 (and earlier) have different Input Modes (like Maya, Max, Softimage) and 2.80 (and later) now have the "Industry Standard" Preset., the thing is this really is little more than a surface level change of just the shortcuts and camera control.

It doesn't provide you with the same Selection, Spacebar Quick Menu, or change the UI Interaction.
And this leads on to another, frankly much more serious flaw in Blender... most of it's functionality is hidden behind poor UI Design unless you already know not just what you're looking for, but also Blender' own Terminology for it.
Realistically Blender is somewhat designed (and expect you) to entirely use Shortcut Keys (which are all different from other Applications, that today have a uniformity and sense to them).
There have been many times where I've literally looked for hours and even referenced the Blender Manual to see if it'll actually do something that Maya does., only to never actually find what I wanted / needed... then a couple months down the line someone who is more familiar with it, will be like "Oh you just use this Shortcut"

And the thing is because you're not really relying on intuitive User Interface Design, Terminology, and a Help that properly explains what each Feature Supports... rather than little more than an expanded Description; then you tend not to be able to learn / adapt on your own with it.
Instead it FORCES you into a situation where you have to constantly review videos from the Developers / Partnered Creators just to adapt to how to do the most Basic things.

Yet this isn't event he worst part... no, the worst part is that it actually ruins the autonomy of those learning on Blender; because at no point do they even attempt to "Experiment" but instead expect you to simply tell them HOW to do things in other Tools.
Maya and 3D Studio Max, in my experience at the most intuitive Development Tools; with the exception of maybe Silo, which has an excellent 'Adaptive' Tool approach., making it more like Sculpting.
In my 25 years using Maya... I've rarely needed to reference the Manual, let alone ask for help... beyond MEL and Shader FX Commands; everything else is something you can quite easily figure out by just experimenting., and even the Major UI Overhaul that happened in 2012 didn't suddenly make it less usable.

A lot of elements of how Blender works, seem to be different... almost as if it's just trying to be different for difference sake., rather than accepting that the Industry Standard Applications might've evolved the way they did for good reason.
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Modo from the foundry is very good for modelling. Not so good for animation and rendering large scenes but for game models might be worth a look.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2020 18:53
There's always user created scripts/modules/extensions/plugins you can use. Back when I only used 3ds Max, there was a plugin called smart select, turned selecting, grouping, and editing a mesh very intuitive. I'd do a search for something similar. As for importing/exporting files, do the same thing. I guarantee, if a format exists, someones created a plugin for your preferred editor in order to import/export it. Heck, people still create plugins for dead editors like Truespace and Wings3D, which hasn't had a major update in almost 8 years. I would recommend trying Wings3D, it's a great, simple, 3D editor that can import and export almost every format type without additional plugins or add-ons. It also boasts in my opinion the best UV-mapper out of any other editor.
xcode77
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2020 15:58 Edited at: 25th Jun 2020 19:08
Thanks for the tip about wings3D I'll give it a try.
Blender drives me nuts too! the easiest UV mapper I've used is Adobe dimension, but the price is unreasonable.
Ive been using MagicaVoxel for simple Voxel art (my daughter enjoys making the game assets in that) and Hexagon 2.5 (because it's free and much easier to use and more intuitive than others to me, although it lacks a renderer).
I'd rather get my games up and running first than spend hours and hours on one model in blender which frustrates the hell out of me.
Just as a side note, I'm using Meshlab (I can't afford simplygon!) because it's open source and free and helps a lot with mesh optimizations. I mean there's no point in having beautiful assets if they impact FPS badly

Edit:
just as a quick edit, tried wings 3D, its good, but I"m still leaning towards Hexagon as the UV mapper seems much more efficient for my workflow. I have found that C4D coloring/UV mapping is definitely the easiest to use bar none for me, sadly I wont pay the $50 or so they are asking monthly.. if I could get my R12 working on Mojave Ill use it haha
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2020 15:26
Quote: "FragMo was right to use filetype .ugh! Omg UGH! And by the way I'm what you call a heathen, why must I type in your religious beliefs every time I open your software?"

pay for it and you won't have to.
gamer, lover, filmmaker

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 02:28:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 02:28:01