Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / HTML pros and cons

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am sorry, there is no HTML section so I'm posting it here.

I noticed that many users have asked for HTML support. I am total noob for this platform so I am asking someone to explain my what are the pros and cons of developing for html compared to mobile (android/ios) market.

How do you monetize games for html or sell them as a whole, also if you are posting it on your website, isn't this killing your site bandwidth?

thanks
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2019 19:22
you can post on itch.io or newsgrounds etc if you don't have your own website or are worried about costs.
for making money you can still show ads (on your own site) or charge for access to the game even if it's html or have a donation button
html is a good format for demos or small games and releasing games on itch.io or newsgrounds is completely free (steam / ios / android has a fee)
life's one big game
spec= i5 4ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia 1070ti gpu
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
One advantage is that you can publish HTML5 games to Xbox One and Windows Store using Visual Studio and UWP JS.
However, currently VS2019 doesn't support UWP JS, you need to use VS2017 for that. No word from Microsoft why...

An other advantage is the obvious, people can play the game in the browser without the need to download an executable or install anything on their PC.
Now it may not a good idea for a large project but me for example do like the idea of having maybe at least a demo version in HTML5 format that people can try and then download the full desktop version if they like it.
I also often see people share their games and asking for opinions and they share an executable or installer and I usually find my self don't bother downloading, installing the game but if it would run in the browser, maybe I would be interested to try. It is also an other thing to consider.

Regarding monetization, it is possible to implement in-app purchase and ads in to HTML5 games too, but AppGameKit and Tier1 currently does not support this.
If you host the game on your own website, you can implement adds around the game in to your website.

Regarding disadvantage, obviously it is meant to be used in the browser so when you package it in to a desktop or mobile app, it is not going to be as fast and there is also compatibility problems. HTML5 is best used in the browser, with AppGameKit, no point to use HTML5 for mobile and desktop but Browser and UWP.
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2019 21:02
I've been using HTML5 as a quick and easy way to get apps to people that are testing during development. Some of them aren't too techie and others don't like installing things, especially beta builds.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 06:41:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 06:41:44