Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Google Nest Mini for music

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2020 11:46 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2020 14:12
Happy new year to forum.
I received a Google Nest mini for Xmas which appears to be useful for music, however because I have quite a large music cd collection I do not feel that I would benefit much by subscribing to a music premium service.

I was thinking that I should be able to make an app (even if its just for me) using AppGameKit C or S to play my own playlists.
It should be easy enough, although quite a lot of work, to create arrays with song title, artist, album name, mood etc so that a "search" could be applied, but I cannot get my head around how I would get it to play on the G-Nest speaker, (via WiFi only).
Songs, many of which have already digitized, would probably be stored on a server because too many for my phone .

Ultimately i would then like to be able to open my app via Google Nest voice commands to create a play list and play.

I'm not sure if any of this is even possible so any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you
vennis73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2020 14:52 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2020 14:53
I'm not sure there is an API to connect to nest, Google seem to have discontinued an existing API framework recently (after they took over nest). People seem very dissapointed in that move. I haven't seen any alternative (yet)

discontinued api
https://developers.nest.com/guides/get-started

google's starting point for nest development
https://developers.google.com/nest/device-access

It doesn't seem very accessible or open to me. I don't think there is a way to run your own app on the nest itself.
If anyone seen such thing i would happy to hear about it too.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2020 20:42
Quote: "Google Nest Hub is just a Chromecast wrapped with a screen. You can cast to it like you can any other Chromecast device. So yeah, sans-voice, you can cast to it from Plex apps."

Battoad
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2020 13:04
Hi guys, thanks for your inputs.

@vennis73 - I have come to the same conclusion as yourself in that there appears no way currently to run and AppGameKit app on the nest. I'm still hopeful however that this could change by the end of the year using G assistant.

@blink0k - My google nest mini does not come with a screen but may have chromecast built in. I don't think it will connect to an AppGameKit app but in theory should be able to play music cast to it, once set up.
I will explore this more to see if I can find a compromise.

Thank you for your info.

Cheers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 02:27:11
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 02:27:11