Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / [Asking for] Tips on complex game creation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2020 15:13 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2020 15:14
First of all, happy new year all.

I'm a professional developer (.net) but a noob on AGK. I've been playing with it for few years. Always just fiddling with it without really creating something.
It's simplicity in easy access and multi-platform-ready is just unique, it always kept my attention.

I recently started creating a 'battle-engine' for a game. Basically a few characters beating each other up.
Now i came to the point i got a nice first engine i can fire it up with the battle parameters and it does what it needs to do. It's the base of a large part my game.

I'm happy with the engine as it is for now and i feel I need to focus on other important parts, the less technical. I have no game developing experience and the following points are challenging to me

- developing a detailed story based on rough sketch of a story.
i can imagine some story boards or thinks like that might help me. i have found 'articydraft' tool that might help me. Are there story developing techniques you can advice that seem fit for game development?

- game balance, like character levels, damage damage, health etc
Are there any good samples ? should i just start fiddling in excel with formula's and try to figure it out?

If anyone has good examples or maybe can tell me how you handled these challenges i'm happy to hear about it.
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2020 15:31
Happy New Year

Quote: "- developing a detailed story based on rough sketch of a story.
i can imagine some story boards or thinks like that might help me. i have found 'articydraft' tool that might help me. Are there story developing techniques you can advice that seem fit for game development?"

Read this article so you can get an idea of the basics --> https://www.emwelsh.com/blog/write-good-video-game-story

Quote: "- game balance, like character levels, damage damage, health etc
Are there any good samples ? should i just start fiddling in excel with formula's and try to figure it out?"

Depends on the genre. While a Beat-'em-Up has pretty much straight forward basic damage formulas, an RPG has more extensive ones. You need to consider different weapons, different armors, protecting spells, stats and attributes like strength, evasion, dexterity, agility etc...
There are tons of examples out there, just feed Google with what you need...

One tip: When you're fiddling with damage formulas, and you're not satisfied with the result, always double or half the damage and see how it feels. You can fine-tune later on.

PSY

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 2nd Jan 2020 15:41 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2020 15:47
HAPPY NEW YEAR

Quote: "game balance, like character levels, damage damage, health etc"

A simple 2d Horizontal health bar would need to apply to a sprite

The above horizontal health bar could be used for 3D by simply creating a plane at the beginning of your proggy
and applying it as a texture. The trick is you have to attach the plane to your players and before every sync set its rotation
back to face the camera and then attach again. Replacing the texture with the new image and finally deleting the old
PS you may wish to create an array of health images for simplicity and speed

Im not sure there is any magical amount of damage etc a player should take it really depends on the game and is up to you

there are other examples of health bars https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/222027
or you could look on the shader thread there's been some really good shaders that may be the fastest way to achieve a
health bar depending if the game is for android or not
MerryChristmas Everyone
fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2020 19:24
@fubarpk
I think he's not interested in the graphical part, but rather in the part where the health / damage is actually calculated based on armor, weapons, stats and stuff

PSY LABS Games
vennis73
Years of Service
User Offline
True, it was not a programming/technical question.

@PSY I found the link you suggested very interesting and it's giving me a starting point i needed for the story.

For the damage, i googled before trying to find some good examples. I was hoping someone had tackled it before and had some tips.

(samples i found)
https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/Battle_Formulas
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:The_Complete_Damage_Formula

It depends on what stats i put in the game like you said, the resources are alway specific to a game but give global idea on how it could be done.

I'll just start playing with excel and come up with something. Thanks for the story-link, really helpul.

vennis73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2020 21:12 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2020 21:14
For myself and future reference for others, i made a summary (in my view) of the blog

1. Basics
Idea's about the combat, the world, the mechanics, the interactivity
Player <=> character dynamic. Either strong character that takes plausible fixed choices fitting it's character or follow the Player's choices and create character
Choices have effect

2. Major Story Outline
What is the start and what are the outcomes.

3. Develop the world
Create a worldmap.
Determine the scope of the world
Choose area's and cities you probably want to use
Open world with level expectations for areas or a linear world
Backstory of the world
Develop a culture and system of order (superior and inferior races/tribes or countries, like elves dwarves and humans or freefolk vs kingdoms)
Items, weapons, letters, artifcats that tell or embrance stories
Culture with specific items

4. Create the main characters

Characteristics and a background. Every character counts.
Create relations with other characters
Arc of a character, how he starts and where will he end up
In player setup player sets a starting point of it's position (good, evil, race etc) or a preset start
Countries and races/tribes with characters you probably want

5. Flowchart of main story
level expectations on the flow (enemies will have a specific level)
availability of choices depend on mental state
Choices will effect the world or available/usable items

6. Write the main story
7. Add in side quests, npcs other details

source: https://www.emwelsh.com/blog/write-good-video-game-story
it has several blogs on different topics
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2020 13:37
Nice work, bookmarked

PSY LABS Games
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2020 15:18

Create a Design Document to outline what you have now and where you want to take the project.
The document will help you keep focused and also be a central reference for answering questions you have as you go.
For the story, it keeps you on track with theme and direction.
For combat, it helps you manage and define the actions, gameplay, and obstacles your combat system will rely on.

You'll find the document will soon become somewhat of a reference point as you move more of the development and creation process into an internal wiki or online project board (ex: Trello, Asana, Monday)

"I'll just start playing with excel and come up with something."

That's a great start. When I worked in game development, many of the projects and game systems we tested were done with dice, pen and paper, and a fistful of chits from boardgames. Excel is a great way to manage the math and quickly test changes.

Good luck!

vennis73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2020 22:00 Edited at: 6th Jan 2020 22:01
For what it's worth for others, i created a excel sheet to play with and figure out some base values.
Got some formula's, not sure how solid it is but so far seems to hold.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:01:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:01:41