Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Where to store game scores on the web with low cost ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2020 20:28
Good evening, sir,

I want to store my game scores on the web.
I think there are several choices.
The first one, i.e. pay a host site 20$ per month, develop a PHP page that stores the score in a SQL database. And another php page that displays the stored score in the database. It's a bit expensive, I think to develop a score for an amateur game without pretension.

However, I wonder if it would be possible to use free storage spaces like google drive. Maybe a Googlesheet document in read-only! I imagine this: call a web address that open a Google sheet form.
This form would be pre-filled with the score field, the player name field and the score date field and the apply button. I can use the OpenBrowser( url googlesheetform) appgamekit command to call the form.

This form takes care of filling the data into the GoogleSheet document that will finally be the database score.

Do you have other ideas to store the players' scores for free?

Sincerely

patmaba
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 21st Jan 2020 03:51
Here where I am most internet providers can provide you with a free webpage depending on the provider
they often can be used with php etc to write to a database. If that's not possible for you theres many free
ISPs available and some cheap ones like $20 a year or less that would be quite possible to use
MerryChristmas Everyone
fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2020 11:24
You could try Phaelax's "Purple Token".
I haven't tried it myself so I can't provide any useful feedback but it sounds like it might do what you want.
Try dropping a PM to Phaelax to discuss it.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2020 02:19
The site is going through an overhaul, but the back-end should still work. If you have any problems registering let me know. Google likes to change recaptcha sometimes and it breaks things. My site is basically your first example, except I pay way more money to do it :p (i run several domains)

Essentially, you create an account, generate a unique token, then use that token with my REST API over an SSL (TLS?) connection. You might be able to do it unsecured, I can't remember if I blocked it or not.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2020 13:50
Maybe TGC could provide us with a server to put highscores on, and even have commands to upload/save the data to your own space on that server. Maybe an annual fee to have the space?
2D Analyst
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
If you want to rent a server for storing scores, you can rent share hosted server. This is cheaper than Virtual and dedicated servers.

OVH cost me 81 cents per month
Hostinger I think it cost me 38 cents per month.
Droplet this is another cheap server I used but don’t remembered how much it cost

There are so many nowadays
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2020 07:23 Edited at: 5th Mar 2020 07:32
Quote: "Hostinger I think it cost me 38 cents per month."

Wow!
That is cheap!
They actually have a 90% off sale running for the next 4 days for web hosting (63% off for cloud)... https://www.hostinger.com/

That VPS is cheap too and even the lowest plan has a dedicated IP!

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
2D Analyst
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yup, I purchased it during Black Friday sales and locked in for 3 years for further discounts. Their customer service is great too. If happened to create an app in the near future that involves high web traffic, I'm definitely going with them again for VPS.

I used to have GoDaddy and it's just a rip off!
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2020 22:33 Edited at: 10th Mar 2020 01:13
@ Phaelax

I sent you a personal message asking for your expert opinion on a couple of things pertaining to flat files instead of SQL for high score tables, and possibly avoiding injection attacks with a data conversion idea.

Didn't really want to publicize what I had in mind, so I asked for your expert opinion in a PM.

If you are too busy to give it any thought, then I understand.

Its not a brain bender or anything, I just wanted to get your thoughts on it in case you had tried something similar in the past, or know someone who did, and could advise yay or nay.

My PHP skills are still novice, so I didn't want to waste time going down the wrong path, if it could be avoided.

Thanks

EDIT
Quote: "Do you have other ideas to store the players' scores for free?"

Just saw this one by Hostinger that is FREE with PHP and MySQL... (and no ads?!?)

000webhost

It does have some limitations, like 300mb storage, and 3gb bandwidth, but that should do for some simple highscore databases as they are not resource hogs anyway.

I am going to give it a try.

Just so I don't have to worry about injection hacks on my primary web hosting as I learn more about PHP while experimenting with high score tables .

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2020 18:54 Edited at: 10th Mar 2020 18:56
To be honest preventing Injection Attacks is pretty easy...
PHP • html_encode( $inputData );
ASP • <%=Html.Encode( input.Message ) %>

And there are variations of these for Json, JavaScript, etc...
This converts all Characters into their "HTML" Variations, so something like <script>alert(Boo!)</script> becomes & lt; script& gt;alert(& quot; Boo!& quot& lt;/ script& gt;

It's actually a good idea to always use this for any input data., then perform a character strip to remove all Special Characters.
If you were making a Forum or Chat Program for example, you'd need to do this in order to support your own Tags and/or Emojis.
Typically Injection Attacks will stem from either careless handling of input/output data... or due to optimisation when you assume said data is "Safe"., where-as I'd argue it's better to have a Delay and Processing Overhead than potential security risks.

There's a few approaches beyond this to further increase the security to ensure only an Integer, Float or Alphanumeric is actually being used., and I'd argue some of these are "Good Practise" even when handling such values from External Data in your AppGameKit Applications themselves.
2D Analyst
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Conjured and Raven mentioned many good points already.

That's true. For leaderboard, you definitely don't need to store it in SQL. Text file or NoSQL will do as well. The advantage of storing it in a SQL form is that you can then match these data with other features such as player's character, player's profile, player's activities, etc

Javascript that redirects your website to another website is probably the worst thing to have. In the event, this happens I doubted it AppGameKit will directly bring up a website as it needs to be explicity coded. Also, if you set a character length limitation for text (varchar, char) to a certain size, the HTML tags will not be completed for it to even be effective.

These code injections are definitely more dangerous for websites as Javascript can cause site to behave differently. For apps, it can still be issues but not as severe.

Talking about these makes me want to create a non gaming app using AGK.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2020 23:28 Edited at: 10th Mar 2020 23:49
Quote: "To be honest preventing Injection Attacks is pretty easy..."

lol
Tell that to the major corporations who have expansive IT departments, yet still get hacked.

On a side note: I tend to be suspicious of people who start a sentence with "to be honest", as that is how you should be all the time.

It is usually the dishonest people who start their sentences that way, because their sub-conscious is trying to convince people to believe them.

Not to suggest that you are dishonest because you started your sentence that way, just that some people will be cautious of those who do that.

Quote: "PHP • html_encode( $inputData ); "

Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Like I said, I am a PHP novice, even though I have dabbled with it from time to time, so this advice is greatly appreciated.

I am not really a PHP noob, just not a habitual user, so most of what I learn is forgotten by the time I fool around with it again.

Quote: "It's actually a good idea to always use this for any input data., then perform a character strip to remove all Special Characters. "

I was thinking of a data conversion, rather than a strip, but on second thought, the strip would be needed too for restoration. (thanks for that great advice, and I agree)

At one point I was considering just stripping the '<' and '>' signs from passed variables so no HTML tags could be injected, figuring that would stop any <script> stuff.

Still want to do something my way instead of using a built in command, but thanks for sharing that because I definitely want to research it and test a bit.

Quote: "The advantage of storing it in a SQL form is that you can then match these data with other features such as player's character, player's profile, player's activities, etc"

You could use keys for the flat files too.

Most people tell me that the major advantage is the speed for large databases.

I just don't like the complexity of SQL and the ease to get errors unless you are an expert with it.

Sure, it is easy for some people, but I found it about as appealing as COBOL.

Also SQL has had many flavors and constantly changing so more to keep up with.

The plain text files have not changed for many decades, so no need to relearn lots of stuff all the time.

Just need to know the commands for handling the files in whatever langues you are using.

Quote: "Talking about these makes me want to create a non gaming app using AGK."

Dude!

Those Memblock commands are awesome for so many things outside of gaming.

I have not played with them for awhile but am looking forward to getting back to PNG files fun.

Never tried checking out an MNG or APNG with them yet, but should be interesting.

2D Analyst
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
What you mentioned is true. Although you can perform matches with NoSQL, SQL offers more complex relationship matching than NoSQL. If you need to support high traffic concurrency, no sql is the way to go. SQL core is ANSI 92 but there are different flavors. Ms sql has their own language T-SQL which is different from oracle PLSQL.

I used to implement SQLite in all my apps. This is an offline database that stores data without a need for server, which is mainly use for mobile apps.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2020 14:45 Edited at: 14th Mar 2020 22:29
It looks like fgetss() in PHP will strip those HTML tags when reading a line from a flat file or GETting variables passed, as the last s stands for safety.

The function strip_tags() in PHP should do the job for stripping the data before writing.

I am unable to find any documentation for html_encode() at PHP.net, even though I could have sworn I did find that in an old PHP book the other day.

I did find warnings though about those commands not stopping XSS attacks that make up around 84% of security vulnerabilities on the web according to Symantec.

It looks as if the error handling will also have to be done gracefully using the @ sign and the ! for displaying custom error messages to the user rather than generated ones.

I had not heard about Alice and Bob before, but I have never delved into network security before as my games have been single player games or multiplayer offline.

I am surprised of the similarities for the encryption methods that they talk about when compared to the ones that I had developed for my steganography experiments.

Not trying to hijack this thread or get off topic, but wanted to share a little of what I am learning about these concerns.

2D Analyst
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
This is good info. I only know enough PHP to get by so reading the above helps me gained more knowledge.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2020 01:27 Edited at: 19th Mar 2020 15:36
Okay man, tried the 000webhosting for a leaderboard using a flat file (plain text/ASCII) and a PHP script.

Less than 16 Kb total, with 14Kb for the PHP script, and 1KB for the flat file, so the hosting storage limits should never be a problem. (even with a thousand game titles)

Take it easy on me for the injections if I made a mistake as a PHP rookie. (tried to make it rock solid though)

Feel FREE to test this out, and tell me what you think. (it seems to be working okay with FireFox)

You have to select NO for the replay to submit a score. (happens after the credits roll)

6 Marbles

Ended up just using str_replace() in the PHP to strip the unwanted characters by replacing them with an *

Which is ReplaceString() in AGK. (validated there too)

HOW IT WORKS...

The game sends 5 pieces of data to the PHP script using the GET method with the OpenBrowser() command.

They are the game title, the player's name, the score, the date it was achieved, and a sha256 encrypted key created from the data.

The player name is the only user generated input to be validated by the game, since the others are generated in code,

The PHP script validates all 5 pieces of data in case someone injects their own values in the path of the web browser. (strips special characters)

The PHP script uses the same formula as the game to generate a sha256 key from the data to make sure it is a match and that the data has not been changed,

The sha256 key also incorporates a private key in the formula to prevent users from generating their own keys for false data being injected.

If the key being sent does not match the correct key for that data, then the data is rejected and a message explains that to the user.

If the key is a match, which means the data is valid, then the player's name, score, and date of achievement are added to the leaderboard. (if not a duplicate entry)

If the data is a duplicate (same player score and date) of another record in the database, then the entry is ignored. (prevents duplicate submissions by refreshing page)

For added safety, the PHP script has its error reporting turned off to avoid XSS attacks as mentioned above. (done just before deployment, after all testing is complete)

EDIT

Added a page to view the leaderboard for non-players.

If you give the game a try (using the 6 marbles link above) and place a high score on the leaderboard, then it will appear highlighted in yellow to show your position.

Might switch from 000webhost to alwaysdata, because they are also FREE but include SSL via Let's Encrypt. (haven't tested yet, but they have PHP too)

2D Analyst
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
O wow, I didn’t know they are free web hosting sites. I’m already locked into 3 years with Hostinger.com With the Coronavirus going on, I have more time than ever to create a more polished game. AppGameKit development is great for time like this!
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2020 15:04 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2020 15:48
Quote: "With the Coronavirus going on, I have more time than ever to create a more polished game. AppGameKit development is great for time like this!"

Yeah, I have been thinking about different ways to make a COVID-19 based game.

I mean, I know the virus is killing people, but so are wars and there are plenty of games about them, so there should be no moral issues, right?

Maybe a challenge of making it thru the city to get to a store that still has toilet paper( or other essentials out of stock), so your grandma won't have to attempt the trip herself with her walker.

With the police after you for not staying home, and trying to find a store or hustler willing to sell, and all the other people not keeping their distance from you, your odds of making it without getting infected are slim.

Then, if you make it home, your grandma then remembers that you need to go find some hand sanitizer, or food items, or drinking water, etc. (she is forgetful so each trip ends with another quest).

Just a thought., and there are many other games that could be made like controlling the growth/spread of the virus, (anything that has an enemy could be replaced with the virus or those infected)

And you of course have to stay away from any outdoor pets you encounter, because while they do not contract the virus, they spread it from the contact of infected people petting them putting the virus on their fur.

On a serious note: how can animals not contract this, if it was supposedly started by the caged animals in the Hunan markets???

Conspiracy theory of this virus being man-made (Corona-virus experiment #19) is a sound one, considering the Illuminati's desire to control the over population problem by getting rid of 90+% of us.

If this is a laboratory created virus, then we know they do have a cure or treatment before its release, so while some politicians are testing positive and others who have had direct contact with them are testing negative, it leaves me not wondering which ones received their vaccination before this was released on the world's most populated nation to be the ones to get the blame for it.

A quick search of the pharmaceutical companies that do research in this field of viruses and vaccinations will illuminate you to the fact that the Fourth Reich is alive and going strong.

No coincidence that the Spanish Flu (which did not start in Spain, they were just the first to report it to the public while other nations knowingly suppressed that information) came out at the end of WWI and killed more soldiers in a matter of weeks than the ones killed in the 4 years of the war prior.

Make no mistake that germ warfare is a reality and has the power to kill far more people efficiently than guns. (and the best part is that the culprits can better retain anonymity leaving the world wide victims clueless to what hit them, and being the only ones with immunity it makes the ultimate final solution)

Quote: "While the pandemic has hit Germany with full force, with Johns Hopkins University noting 22,364 confirmed infections by Sunday morning, only 84 people are so far reported to have died.

This means Germany currently has the lowest mortality rate of the 10 countries most severely hit by the pandemic: 0.3% compared with 9% in Italy and 4.6% in the UK."

Go figure. (not all of us are fooled by the Nazi's Fourth Reich)

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2020 03:03
Quote: "I sent you a personal message asking for your expert opinion on a couple of things pertaining to flat files instead of SQL for high score tables, and possibly avoiding injection attacks with a data conversion idea."

I've responded. Took me awhile, I'm not as active as I used to be.

Quote: "Sure, it is easy for some people, but I found it about as appealing as COBOL."

COBOL is 10x worse! The only language I ever actually hated learning.

Quote: "Also SQL has had many flavors and constantly changing so more to keep up with."

Minor syntax differences among the flavors, but for the most part they're nearly interchangeable. The major differences aren't really used unless you're doing serious expert work. The average user, which can still make large use of SQL, will typically not need such features.

Quote: "so no need to relearn lots of stuff all the time."

You should if you want to remain relevant in the industry.

One of the tasks at my current job is securing older legacy code. Sorting through someone else's messy code to look for possible openings for XSS or injection. And languages these days make it pretty easy to avoid this stuff if proper care is taken. Coldfusion even has server-level options that can block most XSS attacks without having to code the security into each webpage. With PHP/SQL, you should be using prepared statements. Trim the data beforehand too as well as on retrieval. And escape the data in and out of the database. Don't assume you've controlled all data insertions. What if someone did manage to bypass security and inject code to the database? What if you pull that data out and display it raw to the user. It's just an added layer of protection in case the first layer was broken.

Neat game, but there are some issues. And this just may be AGK's javascript loading, but the game doesn't always work for me. Sometimes the loading hangs up. Other times, I don't think it loads completely but I can still play. For instance, the score never increase no matter what. The only time the score worked for me was also the only time the sound actually worked.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2020 12:52 Edited at: 24th Mar 2020 14:27
Quote: "I've responded. Took me awhile, I'm not as active as I used to be."

Thanks

I had already decided and had it sorted out and working by then, but the advice is still appreciated.

Quote: "You should if you want to remain relevant in the industry.

One of the tasks at my current job is securing older legacy code. Sorting through someone else's messy code to look for possible openings for XSS or injection."

Yes, unfortunately that is the biggest downfall with this industry, because of the corporate ploy to release innovations in stages rather than all at once.

Like Apple and their bogus phones that come out every few months with a new feature, or the unnecessary and demanding changes to their software that render perfectly working hardware useless just so they can force you into buying a new phone.

Many other companies are doing the same thing now with their phones, like Samsung, and then even Net10.

I like the innovations like goTenna that are breaking that dependency and finding new ways to use the devices without continually paying through the nose to buy the same device over and over again as if companies like Apple have a desire to manufacture disposable phones.

As far as software for databases, I should not have to learn new technologies that make it harder to secure them, when the old stuff is already rock solid.

Many of the innovations in this industry make things worse, not better, they just want us to believe that it is the way of the future so they can sell you something you don't need. (what percentage of the major corporation database security hacks are a result of SQL injections?)

There are a few exceptions, like the TGC products that have evolved the BASIC programming language to keep up with hardware changes like AppGameKit Tier 1 for mobile devices.

That is why many of us are here, right?

I argued for years back in the day that BASIC had the ability to do all of the things that the other languages they wanted me to learn could do, but it was a matter of compiling for things to run faster on that limited hardware.

Now we have the best of both worlds and I am still loving my sloppy BASIC code, but the sloppy part has nothing to do with new or old as even the newest technologies can still be coded terribly.

Quote: "The average user, which can still make large use of SQL, will typically not need such features."

Yeah yeah, that's me. The average user who doesn't need it.

Quote: "Neat game, but there are some issues. And this just may be AGK's javascript loading, but the game doesn't always work for me. Sometimes the loading hangs up. Other times, I don't think it loads completely but I can still play. For instance, the score never increase no matter what. The only time the score worked for me was also the only time the sound actually worked."

Looks as if not a lot of people have played yet, but you are the first to report any problems.

I have had to load it many times in testing and never experienced any of the issues you are experiencing.

Perhaps it was a server issue with too much traffic due to everyone being at home and using the internet heavily.

More likely it is the web browser you are using. Which one do you use???

I recommend FireFox because it is open source, and I have had no problems running the AppGameKit HTML5 builds with it.

Lots of people are using the Google browser these days, which I suspect is loaded with spyware for their marketing research and ad customization.

I have turned away from Google after discovering that they are ripping people off of their revenue from their monopolistic attempt to control the Android apps.

Another thing to note about the ethics of their company goes back to their beginnings, when they were using the Alta Vista search engine behind the scene and passing the results off as coming from their own engine which they had not even developed yet.

Yahoo did the same thing when they started out, using Alta Vista's search engine, but at least they had the decency to later buy the company making the engine their own IP.

Everyone one seems to think that Google is some king of the internet company, when actually they are just another dirty playing corporation that only cares about their bottom line.

According to Google, any Android app that doesn't come from their website cannot be trusted, and we know that is not true.

I would bet the trouble is not AppGameKit, but rather the unusually high traffic at my server hosting it, or more likely your browser.

if browser$ <> "FireFox"
  browser$ = "FireFox"
  firefox$ = "FireFox rocks!"
  google$ = "Google Chrome blows chunks."
  explorer$ = "Windows Explorer is preferred by hackers wanting to wreak havoc on its users."
endif

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2020 14:40 Edited at: 24th Mar 2020 14:50
Quote: "Many of the innovations in this industry make things worse, not better, "

I feel that's only true because people use new tech simply to remain edgy without first fully understanding how to implement it properly. No developer is going to know all the tools out there though, it's impossible. Pick a random word and put javascript after it, chances are it's an existing framework. There's just too many options out there. But there's good and bad to constantly emerging tech.

Quote: "Lots of people are using the Google browser these days, which I suspect is loaded with spyware for their marketing research and ad customization."

Suspicions based on what? Chrome works fine on every other website I visit. If you target a website to only a single browser out of personal preference, you're really just shooting yourself in the foot. I try to make mine compatible with IE11 and up, but I might stop focusing on IE soon now that MS has 2 version of Edge out there. (developing for IE sucks, no ES6 support)

You might hate Chrome, but 50% of the world is on it so it would be a good idea to make sure everything works for it.
https://www.stetic.com/market-share/browser/

I just tried again, and in chrome it loaded fine the first time. But a few reloads after that it seemed iffy. On FF, it hung up loading the first time, refreshed, then it loaded. Subsequent tries were a hit or missing, going very slowly at loading sometimes. It could just be the server.

Btw, I challenge anyone to beat my new score!
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2020 15:15 Edited at: 24th Mar 2020 15:26
Quote: "Suspicions based on what?"

Their company's history, and their current practices concerning their search engine.

Quote: "You might hate Chrome, but 50% of the world is on it so it would be a good idea to make sure everything works for it."

I don't care if 99.99 % of the world use it, it won't dictate what I do as an indie. (it will never be 100% as long as I am still alive)

I respect the public's decision to use it, and I hope they respect my decision to not participate with wannabe monopolies.

Unlike the big corporations, greed is not my motivator.

Quote: "I just tried again, and in chrome it loaded fine the first time. But a few reloads after that it seemed iffy. On FF, it hung up loading the first time, refreshed, then it loaded. Subsequent tries were a hit or missing, going very slowly at loading sometimes. It could just be the server."

Yeah, the game is hosted on a shared server at GoDaddy.

Ever since Bob Parsons sold out, that company has been in a steady decline. (IMO)

Thinking of switching my hosting for gaming development, since GoDaddy is unwilling to allow SSL certificates that do not involve paying them money again and again. (plenty of Free options now for CAs)

Quote: "Btw, I challenge anyone to beat my new score!"

Anyone?

I'll exclude myself from the challenge for now, because I have played so many times in testing that I may have an unfair advantage at this point.

However, once the first place score exceeds my personal best, then I will join in on the fun.

Great score though, and I hope to have leader boards for my other games soon, as the whole idea is for that to generate more player activity.

Once I have leader boards for the other games, then I will be letting the professional gamers over a Twin Galaxies know about the new leader boards.

There are a lot of competitive gamers there, and I hope they will get in on testing the boards out. (you guys always get first notice for the fun)

Definitely want to get those loading issues sorted out first though, especially if the browsers are not the problem and switching hosting will do the trick.

That is an advantage of this simple method of posting, as the game sending the info can be hosted anywhere without affecting the leader board script.

In theory, any build that can use the OpenBrowser() command can participate too, so the leaderboard can mix scores from varying devices rather than needing separate boards for each on proprietary platforms.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2020 17:54
Over the years I've been pulling all my stuff from godaddy. I think I still have one domain with them I need to transfer. I can't even recommend my current host because I have mixed opinions about their service. 3 fail login attempts and they ban your IP from all things related to your account. Which means email and all domains on the account you won't be able to access until the block is removed. I asked them if they could install tomcat so i could dish up jsp. They said just use node.js..... as if it's even remotely the same thing.

If you want, I can host it on my server for a week or so and see if that makes any difference.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2020 00:38 Edited at: 25th Mar 2020 00:40
Quote: "If you want, I can host it on my server for a week or so and see if that makes any difference."

Thanks for the offer Phaelax, but I plan on trying out several of those free hosting options to see which one is best.

Thought being, the one with the best free hosting should be the one with the best paid hosting.

The better they treat us little guys (bedroom programmers on a shoe string budget) then the better they should be over all.

A couple of the ones I have found while in this thread look promising.

The hosting services that support FREE Certificate Authorities like Lets Encrypt are at the top of the list to check.

2D Analyst
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hostinger charges you for ssl even though they basically get it from let’s encrypt. It’s good for testing but prevents real time data socket exchange. That’s where you may need to use VPS.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2020 12:55
The one I'm using now is brontobytes, which I think might be based in Cyprus. It supports Lets Encrypt. Their cpanel has AutoSSL.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 06:12:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 06:12:10