Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Text messages between users

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am writing a game together with my son where we want to be able to write short messages that can be read by other players and also influence the game. I have no idea to do this but I guess I need some server where we can store and read the messages and also some kind of security. The game will run at least on PC, Mac and Android. Any suggestions would be great.
/Max
Sincerely,
Max Tillberg
2D Analyst
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I was just working on an app that involves polling and sending messages to the server for leader board.

1) You definitely need a server with server side scripting and database install. PHP and mysql are probably the most popular and cheapest in term of price..
2) You need to setup server side script to read your data input from AGK. Have you worked with this before?
3) AppGameKit has native functions such as HTTP. AppGameKit does a good job of explain this in their documentation.

4) You pass data from AppGameKit to server via query string in any format you like. Ex: JSON, raw text, etc
5) You can retrieve data from AppGameKit via response$.
6) If you want it to be secure, there are paid and free SSL installation for servers.

Max Tillberg
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a lot for your reply. There are a lot of new things to learn here and I guess there are a number of ways to do this. I have very little experience in web servers, sql and PHP. Do you think there are a ready example for a free or commercial web service, for example Heroku?
Sincerely,
Max Tillberg
2D Analyst
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
SQL itself is another beast as it's not programming language, but more so structure query language. I've mostly google things, but nowadays there are tons of youtube videos for AppGameKit, PHP or SQL.

I'm sure most people can help you here for AppGameKit related questions and I can assist you with both PHP and SQL via messages. I think PHP has the low learning curve. If you're skilled in AppGameKit, it'll be pretty easy learning PHP.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2020 19:44 Edited at: 1st Mar 2020 19:44
If you're on your local network you could use this.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Max Tillberg
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a lot
It would be very nice to be able to invite gamers outside my local network to play with but I will start with this to try out the game idea.
/Max
Sincerely,
Max Tillberg
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2020 21:59
I think there is an option to create an app without a window so you could run it in background like a server.
Max Tillberg
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds interesting but how could an app in the background help sharing data between units?
Sincerely,
Max Tillberg
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2020 20:35
On the same network, using the comms example i posted
2D Analyst
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I also want to add that HTTP is great for leader board type of stuff and maybe chat messages with lag time. If you need real time data exchange, HTTP is not ideal as it makes round trips and closes the connection. Websocket is persistent connection aka the connection is always on and ready to exchange data between client and server.
TamBam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2020 08:09
I make full tutorials for you . with Agk http php script and free server hosting .. wait 2 days .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 19:32:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 19:32:31