Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Abuse TGC's Cloud Storage

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2020 22:39
I remember someone needed a server to host a leaderboard not long ago.
So I had this Idea to abuse TGC's cloud storage (never really used it) to store game data.
The cloud storage accepts zip files and AppGameKit can pack and unpack zip files, everyone gets the storage with an account and 1GB is enough for some simple game data.
I see two problems, how could one connect to it savely from within a game and the second one, does TGC allow it ? ^^
Is it possible, what do you think.
blink0k
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 1st Mar 2020 23:47
Do you need an account to access it?
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2020 04:28
don't quote me but i think it is meant to go alongside agk mobile? it's there but i haven't played with it.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2020 16:49 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2020 17:06
Wasn't sure about using it for a leaderboard, so I just gave it a few quick tests.

I uploaded two files and then examined the links (location) for the download button.

I used that path in an AppGameKit app with the OpenBrowser() command, and it gave me the download with the typical Open/Save file box you have with any download.

Curious about the path simply having a sequential number to represent the file that was not random, nor unique for my account, I attempted to download a file that I had uploaded then deleted and got a 404 file not found error.

So, then I picked a random number much less than my files had and got a 403 Access denied error.

So, it appears that TGC has a simple method for identifying these files, and an internal method to block users from accessing someone else's file.

Both of those tests were done when I was logged in and both files were uploaded as a regular file.

When logging out and then trying the link again, it took me to the login screen, and then when i logged in, it took me to the dialog to open ir save the file.

So, then I uploaded another file as a 'AGK Cloud Save" and got the next sequential number.

I had the same results when trying to access the file for download via a browser, which was dependent on my being logged in.

So, while I think TGC is offering us a place to have backup storage for our games, I do not see a way to access these files from an app, unless you are already logged into their website and it is you who is making the request.

Hope this helps to answer your question.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 21:01:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 21:01:48