Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [SOLVED] tier2, trying to build with visual studio 2017

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

I wanted to post here to see what guidance/feedback folks may have about building this here, https://github.com/TheGameCreators/AGKTier2 using visual studio 2017.

The docs say 2015 is recommended, is this still true ? I see there is a AGKWindows2017.sln in the repo - also it looks there are some there also for 64 bit, should either work ?

I tried to install the DirectX SDK from June (On a windows 10 system) - but it fails to install everytime for some reason .. is this absolutely necessary ?

Help !

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Mar 2020 18:55 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2020 18:56
All should work ok, I have June sdk on win 10 ok . I also use vs2019 and all templates work fine using june sdk ... is there any more info you can give. Where are you obtaining june sdk from and how and where are you trying to install
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
eejit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2020 19:27 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2020 19:29
It's DXSDK_Jun10.exe, from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812

It seems to install ok to this location C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010), until just at the very end, and the installer quits with this error.
I've closed all other applications, rebooted, etc but still fails this way ?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Mar 2020 19:38
To resolve this issue, you must uninstall all versions of the Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable before installing the June 2010 DirectX SDK. You may have one or more of the following products installed: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
eejit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2020 20:17 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2020 20:18
Thank you ! Uninstalling the Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable, allowed me to install DXSDK_Jun10.exe.

Although, when I try with either AGKWindows2017.sln or AGKWindows2017-64.sln to build the solution, I get errors to do with

fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'XAudio2.h': No such file or directory
Done building project "Core2017.vcxproj" -- FAILED.

I didn't see anything in the options about adjusting the DirectX SDK path, is that only for 2015, or that has to be done for 2107 as well ?
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Mar 2020 06:52
Which toolset are you using, agk uses the .., _xp
eejit
Years of Service
User Offline
I have Windows v7.1 SDK (or 7.1A) installed, I'm able to compile my own tier2 projects without issue. (I have xp support installed) - but not https://github.com/TheGameCreators/AGKTier2/wiki/How-to-compile-AppGameKit-Tier2-libraries

How do I confirm the toolset I'm trying to use for this ? I've tried both AGKWindows2017.sln and AGKWindows2017-64.sln so far, straight from the repo without any changes.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Mar 2020 09:40 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2020 09:41
does your setup in VS2017 look like mine? mine compiles fine. if you SDK v8.1 you can also compile using that too.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
eejit
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm I have this

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2020 10:39

Why are you installing the DirectX (9.0c) June 2010 SDK?
AppGameKit doesn't use DirectX... at all.

There is a guide (pdf) within the Tier 2 SDK that explains what Folders you need to associate with a Project., and the Template Projects will have this already done for the Default Install Location (C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\AppGameKit Studio\Tier 2 and C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\AppGameKit\Tier 2)
You'll find the Templates in the Tutorials Folder.

Visual Studio (Community | Professional) will automatically install the correct Build Tools and Windows SDK., but for other platforms you'll need something like Xamarin installed.

If on the other hand you're building the Dark BASIC Professional 1.07.2 (GameGuru) Source., then you will need a DirectX 9 SDK... but it's actually quite a specific one.
Believe it's August 2009., otherwise you'll be spending quite a quite editing A LOT of the Source to be compatible.
eejit
Years of Service
User Offline
Am I reading the instructions wrong ?

https://github.com/TheGameCreators/AGKTier2/wiki/How-to-compile-AppGameKit-Tier2-libraries
--> DirectX SDK (June 2010) installed in a folder somewhere in your filesystem

Hmm what SDK is this ? I'm using the template projects exactly as they are from the repo.

Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Mar 2020 11:00 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2020 11:12
it's a pre-requisite (for Windows):

Quote: "Prerequisites

For compiling the Windows version you will need the following:

Visual Studio 2015 or Visual Studio 2017 (primary development is done with VS2015 so is the recommended choice)
DirectX SDK (June 2010) installed in a folder somewhere in your filesystem
Windows v7.1 SDK (or 7.1A) installed on your system, the normal install path for this is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1". This is usually installed with Visual Studio if you select "XP support" during installation.

The Windows SDK install location should be automatically picked up by Visual Studio with the variables $(WindowsSdk_71A...), the DirectX SDK path you will need specify manually in the Visual Studio settings, this will be covered later.

"
Bengismo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2020 11:24 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2020 11:27
You do need direct X SDK if you are going to recompile the teir 2 libraries from source....App game kit uses directX internally for input (directInput) as well as video/audio rendering via directshow.
eejit
Years of Service
User Offline
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Hmm ok - I see now that what it says in the instructions is correct - but I missed it (I'm not really a windows guy, and I'm definitely not a Visual Studio guy)

You *do have to make changes to the VC++ Directories section re: the path where to find the sdk.

If you don't have the sdk installed, I guess *maybe it could use XAudio2.h (and other files) found here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.17763.0\um
which my search also turned up.

I'd really like to get tier2 building - I will edit this and try again !

eejit
Years of Service
User Offline
Huzzah !

C:\Program Files %28x86%29\Microsoft DirectX SDK %28June 2010%29\Include
C:\Program Files %28x86%29\Microsoft DirectX SDK %28June 2010%29\Lib\x86

... \platform\windows\Lib\VS2017\Debug\AGKWindows.lib
1>Done building project "Core2017.vcxproj".
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I might never have figured out I had to do that uninstall first .. thanks BOTRings !

I guess RTFM - TYVM for the help !
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2020 12:46
Quote: "You do need direct X SDK if you are going to recompile the teir 2 libraries from source....App game kit uses directX internally for input (directInput) as well as video/audio rendering via directshow."

DirectShow is part of the Windows SDK... the version there is slightly different from the DirectX 9.0 SDK (Feb 2005), which was the last to include it and it's frankly been deprecated in favour of Media Foundation (Win32 / .NET) and XAudio2

As for Input there are a variety of approaches... as again DirectInput was deprecated after the introduction of XInput, but you also have things like AllJoyn, Pointer Input, Direct Manipulation, etc.

This is just assuming that you want to keep with a Windows Centric Stack.
There are alternatives to all of this that are Platform Agnostic... such-as Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL), which essentially provides all of the above.. and Open Audio Layer if you need some extra Audio Support.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 01:58:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 01:58:39