Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / A Dream of Amber—Beta Players Wanted!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2020 17:25 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2020 17:26

My mobile game has reached a playable beta state. There’s still lots of adjustments to be done, but it’s finished enough to get a good impression.

So, if you guys wanna give it a go, dive right in!

But before that, be aware that this is exclusively a mobile game. It doesn’t give the same experience if you play it on your computer. So please compile to .apk and sideload it to your Android phone.

I'm interested in all kinds of feedback, but here are some questions to get you started:
—What did you think about the progress?
—What was fun?
—What sucked?
—Any missing features?

To download the game, select boxmov.zip below:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2020 20:20
That looks lovely.
Unfortunately i'm a bit too busy right now.
Sorry matey
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2020 22:06
I've got time

I'll give you some feedback tomorrow

PSY

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2020 11:40
So...

played it this morning
Hell, it's hard. Luckily, the starting pattern is always the same, so I managed to survive longer over time
Reminds me a bit of Flappy Bird. Makes you wanna crush your smartphone if you play long enough

The game runs very smooth and solid. I like the different styles of the levels.
You need to put in some SFX, it makes the immersion a lot deeper, even if all the SFX is just placeholding stuff.

I missed an [X] or an Exit/Quit button. I know it's not neccessary on Android phones, but a lot of players ( including me ) like to quit apps using buttons
Also, you can cheat by putting two fingers on the screen and releasing one when it's close to being hit. It's not that big of a cheat, but maybe you should prevent multi-touch.

No bugs found so far. Everything's in tune. Really good job you did there. I'm impressed!

PSY

PSY LABS Games
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, thanks for solid feedback! Congrats on discovering the two-finger exploit. Not the worst exploit currently, but when you noticed it, others will likely notice it too.

Any imbalance in the unlocks? To me, the topscore based unlocks (5 secs, 10 secs, 15 secs) unlocks the fastest, but I played the game before, so I'm not entirely sure. I consider changing it so that the user has to do it 3 times to unlock. I'm also a bit afraid the hunt for unlocks overshadows what should be the natural goal, that is, beating your previous topscore.
(BTW you can unlock everything by typing 7913, treating the icons as a numeric keyboard)

Did you have any specific SFX in mind? It's kinda intentional that the whole aesthetic is low key and spartan, but maybe I took it too far. I consider giving th player some sort of particle trail. The lack of music is also kinda intentional, but also I don't think the music of a cellphone is ever gonna sound good, unless the user has a pair of headphones. And I have no skills at music creation, so ...

Regarding the lack of an [x] in the upper-right corner ... it wouldn't take much to implement it, obviously, but there's a whole sing-and-dance about how wrong it is to close down programs in Android. Implementing a close button is very, VERY controversial. I might do it, but, gonna research this further. But on a personal, gut-feel level, I very much like to control what's in memory and not, thankyouverymuch. So my tender soul is positive towards the [x]
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2020 18:31 Edited at: 25th Mar 2020 18:33
The topscore based unlocks were also the first ones for me to unlock. I guess that's ok
There will always be a hunt for the unlocks, which is also cool. Players will always try and beat their highscore, at the latest when they're done unlocking everything
I also tried the code and played all levels. I like the blurry one

For the sound: Maybe you could put in some basic clicks ( when the players selects a level, or starts a level ).
For the music: Try soundimage.org by Eric Matyas. I guarantee you're gonna find a track that suits your needs.
Here's the forum link: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/216859

I've used his music for Space Haze and Molecools. He's built a huge library, and his tracks are awesome.

PSY

PSY LABS Games
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the links. Good stuff!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:12:17
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:12:17