Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / My little advice about optymization for new guys :D And maybe semi-advanced guys too? :D

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2020 18:13 Edited at: 27th Mar 2020 19:08
Ok, so first of all, I know that what im gonna say might seem obvious for veterans. But as you can see this step-by-step very simple tutorial isn't for veterans (but I love u anyway)

Now let's get to the point
Recently I've played some FpsC games, older and newer ones, and one thing that is in my head now, is that almost nobody is paying attention to textures. I mean optimization-wise. Every developer wants his game to run as smooth as possible, and we are doing lots of level-design tricks to get decent fps, but let's don't forget about textures If you go into folders with your free stuff or even model packs, you will see that some of the props have ridiculously big and heavy textures. For example - apples, slices of pizza, ashtrays, and other very small stuff from Apocalypse pack have 1024x1024 textures. And that is for an apple or slice of pizza, you know? Most of the time developers put a lot of this small stuff in games thinking that if its so small it cant be that bad for fps right? Wrong You put some of these small stuff in your room, and nobody would ever notice that your sweet banana on your table have some super high resolution tex, but everybody would notice long loading times and low fps Sometimes few boxes and piles of rubbish can take more memory than all enemies in your game, and that is ridiculous
So what is the solution?
1. Download gimp - its free and now it have dds plugin from the start, so its perfect for the job.
2. Now open some texture that you're using in your game, and check-out what it is. Is it 2048x2048 barrel from castle pack? Perfect Let's open it, than press SHIFT+S on your keyboard, and now type resolution you want - Im using 512x512 for props like barrels, or boxes, 256x256 or sometimes even 128x128 (yes that small) for some rubble like small bricks or fruits; and for big things I go with 1024x1024 - most of the time is more than enough even for whole buildings
3. Ok, you adjusted scale of your texture, what to do now? Let's click file-->Export as--> now if you don't change the name it would just overwrite old texture (if your texture isn't in dds format, then change it to dds) ---> click export --> click replace (if you want to overwrite, if not - change name) -->now chose compression BC1/DXT1 (its the lightest, so the best for us) --> click export and job is done

Its best to export textures in dds format, because FpsC always change every other format to dds anyway, so it must be the best for the engine.

And for example - look at this picture: on the left side we have standard barrel from castle pack It has 2048x2048 texture which weigh 2731kb (yes 2,7mb, and that is more than some character textures)
On the right side we have the same barrel, but now it has 512x512 texture Diffrence in looks is unnoticable. Weight? 128kb Yes, over 20 times less

Attachments

Login to view attachments
ScooT9
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 27th Mar 2020 21:13
i kinda optimize the textures, like i downscaled weapon textures from 2048x2048 to 512x512 and a couple of others.
hi, i'm a random guy who's making random games with random game engines for random reasons
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2020 21:16
Nice tutorial there GHOST. I couldn't agree with you more. Some of the textures really are way to BIG for fpsc.
Down scaling these really does make a difference in the final build. Nice job
My games never have bugs.... they just Explosys's

** WHERES MY YELLOW BUTTON ? **
Ghost_LOL
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for responses guys, now I feel appreciated

Ps; @ScooT9 When can we play Kulfonom? Im really waiting for some demo or beta It don't need to be 100% finished; as wise man once said "done" is always better than "perfect"
ScooT9
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 27th Mar 2020 22:12
I don't really know when the first beta of kulfonom will release, all the levels for the beta are finished, the voice dialog is finished, but there are still some problems that i want to fix before beta release, also i want to remove music that i have used in the game since it's basically taken from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmwwconovQU&
hi, i'm a random guy who's making random games with random game engines for random reasons

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 23:35:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 23:35:11