Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2020 09:12
Billiard-esque TimeKiller™ i've been working on:

play on itch.io.

i've probably been playing it more than working on it so C&C welcome
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 11th Apr 2020 09:42
that's brilliant Virtual Nomad ive pondered on what difficulties doing one of these could
have and this is the first i've seen one with agk.

fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2020 15:27 Edited at: 11th Apr 2020 15:28
Quote: "that's brilliant Virtual Nomad ive pondered on what difficulties doing one of these could
have and this is the first i've seen one with agk. "

I have often been tempted to try one of these too, but thought it would require too much time to perfect it for realism.

This looks excellent, and the ball movement so far is really impressive.

Putting the english on the ball that had me reluctant to try the math for one of these, but your straight english version is still a lot of fun.

Very nice, and great to see the HTML5 build on itch.io

The only thing I could ask for is a leaderboard with player names, so I can show off proper.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2020 17:57
thanks, guys

as the play suggests, i wanted to keep it simple and finish something (fully playable) for a change. IE, not a sim. and, i'll re-write before i add anything "substantial", at this point.

the only real "difficulties" was/is detecting new contacts for each ball. it's still not 100%. IE, if you "cut" a ball too thin, the physics works but the "contact" reporting is spotty leaving silence vs the sound effect playing (similar to the contact issue i have in g-breaker - at this point, i'm calling it an issue with box2d). there must be a threshhold inside but if the ball moves/spins, it seems it should be able to report it no matter how minute?

otherwise, i think the majority of the time was spent sorting out the saves. if i drew things out like i'm supposed to, i expect it would have been easier and trying to juggle HTML & windows versions at the same time was a bit of a chore.

right now, i don't see a need for online high scores, as is. you'll find the high score table fills with near-identical entries pretty quickly (especially so with the 9-ball version i think i prefer and might return).

if i go deeper into this, i'll add a harder mode, removing the line drawn from the pointer to the target (which should make it more competetive vs casual) then consider devling into english/spin, etc, and online scores where they should be more-scattered.

thanks for playing!
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2020 23:03
Lovely. You do such simple, elegant games.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2020 00:04 Edited at: 19th Apr 2020 00:07
thanks, blink0k

meanwhile, has anyone topped this?

it seems speed/confidence matters.

otherwise, thoughts about changing the scoring system to points based on streaks?

a perfect run would = 120 pts (1+2+3...+15) but you'd get the same if you missed your first 5 shots then ran 15 in a row vs someone who made their first 15 shots. hmmmm

i'm looking for incentive to delve into global high scores
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2020 02:46 Edited at: 19th Apr 2020 16:55
Could just do a straight out streak count.

As in 15 in a row ... 30 in a row... 47.... 79... 100 being the perfect run, then the timer wouldn't really matter except for those players that reach the maxed out run of a 100 ball streak.

Miss a shot, and the counter resets, of course.

That would also mean that you would need multiple breaks, and speaking of which...

24 shots is all I could do in just over 4 minutes. (so far... need more practice)

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2020 12:47 Edited at: 19th Apr 2020 12:53
i could turn it into a real "run" with the 100 ball mode being a marathon of sorts vs a 15 ball "sprint".

the timer could be a bonus. say, counting down from 10 minutes. finish the sprint in 4 mins = x6 multiplier.

add obstables and we have the "high hurdles" event.

yeah, i was looking forward to the summer games this year...

tip: make sure to have your monitor/screen tilted directly toward your eyes, if it's not, it will throw off your targeting (does for me, anyway)
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2020 08:13 Edited at: 7th May 2020 08:14
Updated to make the table livelier which allows for some shots that simply couldn't have happened under the previous settings.

Longer bank shots & tighter cuts are now possible, and i think you'll find a more top-spin feel, overall.

While its less forgiving than before, i think its a bit more entertaining.

Also added is the ability to Reset the table during a run via the [ESC] key, and the breaks should be a bit more scattered, as well.

give it a run: https://virtual-nomad.itch.io/tablerunner
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2020 20:10
Many many moons ago, in the days of the DB coding challenges, we had a snooker challenge. After a few days it turned from a challenge into a group effort because the physics was actually that challenging! If you can find the old thread I'm sure there's ton of information in there. All the physics was we did was coded without physics libraries.

For those interested, billiards challenged started feb 27, 2005
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/48011?page=5
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2020 21:25 Edited at: 13th May 2020 21:25
Quote: "
Challenge 5
Challenge: Billiard Ball Collision
Challenge setter: Coding Fodder
Judge: Phaelax
Time Limit: 3 Days - until Tuesday night (2/3/05)"

3 days? good stuff
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2020 01:48
That definitely qualifies as a challenge doesn't it? lol You can jump right to the code submissions here:
https://zimnox.com/dbcc/index.php?page=view&challenge=Billiards%20Collision&lang=pro

And now I'll shut up, not trying to hijack the thread.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:31:51
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:31:51