Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Do DBPro programs work at all with Windows 10?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm doing all my development on Windows 7, where both the editor and the obtained programs work perfectly. I don't have a Windows 10 computer at the moment (and I won't be able to get one for the time being), so I'm unable to test them on that OS. A message on the Facebook page by Grog Grueslayer has left me very worried, because he can't make his DBPro programs work at all on Windows 10, so I thought I'd ask for more information here.

I know it will probably be necessary to install the June 2010 DirectX runtime, and I've noticed that even on my current system, DBPro programs crash if compiled with the Fullscreen option in the project properties (I have to select Fulldesktop to get them to run), but besides what I just mentioned (and maybe running them as administrator) is there anything else that must be done to ensure they run on Windows 10?
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 15th Apr 2020 20:01
yes, I have DBPro on Win10 x64 bit , programs work fine.
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Devil Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Do you need to do antyhing different, compared to running them on WIndows 7? For example running them as administrator, or setting a compatibility mode?
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2020 22:27
Dark BASIC Professional will typically work BETTER on Windows 10 than Windows Vista/7/8
There is no need to install anything extra, it will just work "As Intended" ... at least in terms of the Runtimes you build.

If you're actually Developing with it, there are some Legacy issues with Sync that can cause 2D to "Flicker" on Newer Graphics Cards... keep in mind that these are now Emulated rather than Hardware Accelerated today.
Most Modern GPUs don't actually have 2D Accelerators anymore., instead they rely on the Pixel Pipeline of Programmable Shaders; and so such legacy features have to be wrapped and don't always work quite so well.
You also need to keep in mind that the 64-bit Extensions in DBP v1.07.GG aren't exactly copacetic with Modern x86-64 Processor / Windows either.

In fairness they never really worked well., but it was difficult to say if that was normal Windows 64-bit jankiness or DBP itself.
Still... I'd recommend not using the 64bit Data Types.

Beyond that, you should be golden.
In fact the same is true for Dark Basic Classic as well... once you have the d3drm.dll (which you can hijack from a DirectX 9 SDK)., it works flawlessly; where-as again DBC tended to have serious issues with Windows XP / Vista / 7
Devil Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2020 22:54 Edited at: 15th Apr 2020 22:55
Quote: "Dark BASIC Professional will typically work BETTER on Windows 10 than Windows Vista/7/8
There is no need to install anything extra, it will just work "As Intended" ... at least in terms of the Runtimes you build."

Excellent.

Quote: "Most Modern GPUs don't actually have 2D Accelerators anymore., instead they rely on the Pixel Pipeline of Programmable Shaders; and so such legacy features have to be wrapped and don't always work quite so well."

Fortunately, that's not my problem: I always simulate 2D (for HUDs, etc.) with 3D objects, so I don't have to write additional functions to scale the elements.

Quote: "You also need to keep in mind that the 64-bit Extensions in DBP v1.07.GG aren't exactly copacetic with Modern x86-64 Processor / Windows either. "

What version is that? I use the editor v1.075 from before DBP was open source, the one that required online activation. I just copied the certificates in the appropriate folders.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2020 13:06
DBP v1.07.GG is just the Open Source version from GitHub... it's more-or-less identical to v1.07.5 but with some minor tweaks made specifically for GameGuru (which is built on it)
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2020 07:23
Not trying to sour things, but there are some issues with Windows 10 and full screen mode. One of the big Windows 10 updates made changes to directx full screen mode, and it's sort of emulated now. I've noticed some times a full screen mode app (not the same thing as full screen windowed mode) using the mouse will trigger the start menu and minimize the app. Then when switching back to the app seems to fix the glitch. Your app will crash when this happens unless you program it to detect this and reload all of your assets.

I've noticed DirectX has some weird persistent behavior that can make it unpredictable. This has been true since the 90's. Running certain apps before a DBP can cause different behavior in rare cases. Things like the app running faster or slower, or even window glitching like I mentioned here.

Not sure what to make of it, just felt it should be mentioned.

Mage's Modular Code - Get awesome UI controls and powerful Bitmap Fonts!
Screen Device Recovery - Stop your apps from crashing when minimized/tabbed/screen locked.
CPU Friendly Frame Limiter - Make your app generate less computer heat + noise, and use less battery life!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 19:48:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 19:48:51