Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / X-Craft

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 02:31
Christmas can be a boring time when you have too much free time, thankfully I have a hobby

I have a large landscape with lots of tree's and several 'settlements', an AI routine that doesn't need much more tweeking, damage trails, burning wrecks, shadows and am going to start work on the HUD next.

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 02:43
Looks very polished Andy.

Got a nice landscape along with some nice effects(the fire or beacon)to go along with it also.

15fps looks a little low, but I'll let you tweak it a little more before I comment.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 04:30
Don't worry, the 15fps is because I have an utterly naff graphics card and when I write games I program with all graphical options 'on'. I will put in options to reduce visual quality and increase speed later

The fire/beacon is a burning wreck from an enemy bomber I shot down earlier in the scene

Whisper Wind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 07:38 Edited at: 28th Dec 2003 07:39
Here's something that I really don't understand. You guys spend a lot of time making great, polished engines, but ruin it with really bad textures. For many of the games I see around here, some decent textures would really improve the look by more than 100%! It seems to me that if you just spent a few days churning out some great textures, your games might start to look a lot more like commercial-quality products. Is there some disadvantage to higher-quality textures that I'm just not seeing? Can someone help me out with this?
koolaid 2764
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 09:03
you know beteween gameplay and artwork there tends to be a problem they rely on each other true in alot of games ive seen they were good on the graphical side but for instance it might perform verl slow but anyways u should worry bout the gameplay first

KOOLAID
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 14:54
super high quality textures can make games run slower whisper wind, but its more the fact that alot of people here aren't top quality texture makers themselves, they either have to rely on other people to make stuff or use textures from free sites or textures that come with db.

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 15:02
You see Wisper, heres what I dont understand: The team requests forum exists purely to mock badly written team requests - this is how many replies a well written request for a texture artist gets: http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=21731&b=9.

Media is a constant battle and at Banshee we use a lot because we produce a lot of games. We're quite good at making media but the quality of our work is not professional. We are not professional, we're hobbyists who love making games.

We're not the best programmers, we're not the best modellers, and we're not the best texturers. Nick and I both know we are not even average texturers, which is why we've been trying to find a texture artist now for a little over a year.

Currently we have 2 applicants, neither are experienced in the world of 3D and neither are well equipped with software. One of them wants us to provide him with an endless stream of meshes for him to sell as professional models... Oh yes, on our site... *cough*.

Thankfully the biggest texture issue in the picture above is the player craft (media from DarkMATTER 2). I'm going to be changing the view to an in-cockpit view as soon as I have finished the cockpit, here's a render of one i've downloaded and intend to use after getting permission:

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 18:06
Nice shots Andy. Really looking forward to seeing more.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 21:32
After our conversation earlier GCE i'm probably not going to turn this into the full game that was planned (something akin to Armour Geddon on the Amiga) because i'm rather keen to get this out of the way and use the landscaping functionality in our new project. I already wrote to the islanders to try and make contact with somebody with a digital camera and i'll have the story board finished pronto... we'll see.

I might not even finish this, it's a shame because it's already playable, but the project that grew out of that conversation earlier has so much more potential to be something a little special.

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 21:38
looks nice. I've seen those buildings before, are they from ghoulish arts?

[P4 2.8C @ 3.03 with an 866mhz FSB:: MSI Neo-2LS running PAT:: 1gb Mushkin PC-3500 DDR High Perf level 2@ 2,2,2 :: ATI Radeon9800ProAIW :: 120Gb SeagateBarracuda 7,200RPM SATA HD :: Antec Plus1080AMG]
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2003 22:35
Yes they are from the Ghoul, a rather excellent modeller but a shame he's so expensive :/. The buildings are from his free collection.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2003 05:23
Does look polished indeed, but I trust you're making the right decision. Good luck with your projects.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Douglass
Years of Service
User Offline
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 10:06
Andy, what method do you use for your landscapes? I'm hitting a brick wall at the moment moving from a flat matrix to acceptable scenery for my current project.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 12:13
I model my landscapes in Max as tiles and then pass the mesh through a program I wrote to blend the textures for me based upon altitude.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 06:04:18
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 06:04:18