Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / [SOLVED] Camera calculates distance?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

I'm new to development in AppGameKit, however have used DB and FPSCx9 in years prior.

I am trying to make a basic app at the moment which will utilize the device rear facing camera to calculate and relay distance, and elevation of a targeted object; however am having difficulty getting the app to so much as initialize the camera and display the feed on-screen. I have attempted both an AR approach Ex: ARDrawBackground() as well as a "standard" approach Ex: RequestPermission( "Camera" ) | ShowImageCaptureScreen(); however neither approach seems to be working.

Is this something that AppGameKit is capable of doing? Or would I need to consider an alternative IDE for this particular project?

Thanks!
Tappy

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 25th Apr 2020 17:28 Edited at: 25th Apr 2020 17:30
if you are talking about objects you have brought into play

You should be able to replace the above with camera coordinates and if you cant get that to work just position an invisible
object where the camera is

if you mean like detect a real table as such and its distance from the camera that requires quite allot of work

fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
TappyType
Years of Service
User Offline
"if you mean like detect a real table as such and its distance from the camera that requires quite allot of work"

Yup, camera in this context would be referring to a physical device camera capable of capturing/streaming video and image content. I understand it would involve a sizable amount of coding, so therefore want to make sure AppGameKit supports this type of functionality within the IDE.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 25th Apr 2020 17:55 Edited at: 25th Apr 2020 17:58
If your planning on using Tier2 and doing all your code in C++ then this should be achievable
I haven't seen any of the TGC community achieve that yet and even in the C community there
is examples out there that are quite large and complex to do just the simplest of 3d recognition.

Depending on your project ide do allot more research on what can and cant be done with the
recognition in the first place in any language. One project I saw where a group of university students
were working on such placed objects that the program could identify to help with the calculations

Edit which also meant creating hardware

fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
TappyType
Years of Service
User Offline
That's kind of the assumption I had after purchasing and beginning to dive into AGK. Project specific hardware wouldn't be too difficult in theory for an RPI / 0, however that's a different approach even if continuing dev. on AppGameKit for the RPI platform.

Thank you for the advice and assistance.
-Tappy
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2020 12:01
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
it should be something like this
life's one big game
spec= i5 4ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia 1070ti gpu
TappyType
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, that works great; thanks!

I wouldn't have thought to output the image to a sprite, my understanding being that a sprite would have been a static entity.

I guess I've got more reading into the commands to be doing as well since it seems I was declaring the check permissions variable incorrectly.

Much appreciated
-Tappy.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 11:14:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 11:14:29