Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Is the value returned by GetDeviceID() the same ID that ad providers use?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2020 22:39 Edited at: 30th Apr 2020 22:42
As the title asks: Is the value returned by GetDeviceID() the same ID that ad providers use? And if they were stored in a database and someone got access to that database without permission what could they do with them, if anything?

I'm considering using this to try and make it easier to find users that have created multiple accounts on the same device. Some of these users might be using multiple accounts to build up the reputation of one. I don't want to store things like IP addresses which can be easily changed anyway.

https://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/Reference/Core/GetDeviceID.htm
OryUI - A WIP AGK2 UI Framework
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2020 22:48
I suppose if it is something that could be used in a bad way if someone had a list of them I could save parts of the ID, even 10 characters from fixed places would show if someone is creating multiple accounts on the device and if someone had a list of them that were only 10 characters long they'd be useless.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2020 00:22
No, Apple have cracked down on using the advertising ID so it can only be used for specific purposes and its use must be declared.

On iOS we use CFUUIDCreate stored in the [NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults] object that lasts for as long as the app is installed but may change if the app is reinstalled.

On Android we use Secure.ANDROID_ID which will be the same for a particular keystore with a particular device and user. So if the device changes, or the user account on that device changes then the ANDROID_ID changes. It can also change by performing a factory reset of a device. Otherwise from what I can tell all your apps installed on a device, that are signed with the same keystore, will get the same ANDROID_ID, no matter how many times they are reinstalled.
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2020 09:34
Thanks Paul. I will do a search today on those 2 IDs you mentioned.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2020 21:17 Edited at: 1st May 2020 21:22
You could also add another 'secret word' to it as a string and then use a sha encryption. (secret word constructed using chr() values to avoid string in bytecode)

That way if it is stored on your server, it is not in a way to reverse it to the ID without the 'secret word' (private key)

You would still be sending that each time though from the client, so a match would be easy to detect.

Still being device specific without storing the IDs to worry about hackers stealing.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2020 07:17
@Conjured Entertainment, thank you, that's a good idea.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 16:43:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 16:43:05