Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Hello and questions about loadobjects mesh&textures.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2020 16:27
hello how are you all!

I am new to AppGameKit, and with great enthusiasm I am learning to use it.

my experience, it is only with Blitz3D, only programming in Basic, and I work a lot with 3D models with 3dsmax.
When starting with AppGameKit I found that the loading of 3D objects is different. Without understanding the technical reasons, I am seeing how to load my 3D objects into AGK.

Usually in my 3Ds I have a lot of objects, each with their name, and I use the color and brightness property a lot, and then use textures on the objects.

What if, is that my objects usually have many (objects or entities), such as a car, with its wheels, with its interior, with its dash and its needles, plus the suspension pivots, doors, etc.

In the case of a ship, the hull, the sails, the rudder, the propellers, the cannons.

I usually manipulate all these objects from the program using Getchild (). and if there is such an object, I manipulate it, if not.

1. my question is, what would be the correct way to load my 3D objects with AGK.

2. What is the best format to read files in AppGameKit, since I can export to whatever I want and there are many options.

3. Can "Mesh" have color in AppGameKit? or only one object can have color? or in AppGameKit the correct thing would be to always use texture, even when it is a solid color?

4. Is there a Pipeline, or materials for 3dsmax from AppGameKit ?, to work on max materials and loading them into AppGameKit and to have part of the work done.

Well, I already apologize for so many questions.

I was looking at this example
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/223542

which led me to think that I should do my own job to load my old meshes.
As I am starting, I know that I have to learn many things, but I am more interested in what focus I should have on these topics. It is not that I ask them to solve it, but to guide me.
sorry my english, i use google translate!

i show and example of my 3D, in the cockpit airplane, i have many objects to load.

Now i am using render-to-texture method, to have 1 texture with shadows and light pre-render, using unrwarp (i never know how type correctly )

regards!
Santiago
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2020 11:40
Hi Santiago3D... I conmented correctly in that post you linked . The best way to load objects in Agk is asign just a different texture in your 3D programm. Now I can hardly write with my left hand as I had a crash and broke my right elbow and wrist.
Just follow my snippet and you will not have any problem...if not ,I will help you in three weeks time.
Cheers .

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
Santiago3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2020 19:36

176/5000
I'm sorry to hear it! I hope you recover soon!

I am still investigating how it works, and how to export my models so that this works well.

my best wishes.
Santiago
Santiago3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2020 03:52 Edited at: 20th May 2020 03:53
ok, looking the Chafari code, i write this small code to automatic load textures from my files.

ok. i just make my first aproach to load object with texture in simple way.

what i discover.
in .3ds works better than .obj, i don't know why.
is important to use short name for textures, because large name are cut, i don't know why that too.

This method works for me now, i use the chafari post to know commands for make this small code.

in the future, i go to try to load more textures, mor properties like color, alpha and make a function to simulate blitz3d Loadmesh - loadanimesh function.

i tested whit a hangar for tora tora tora, a 3dsmax 3 objects, whit 3 materiales
i clean the scenes material 2 times to have a clean file.

this code works fine for me

GOTO HelloWorld!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2020 20:57
Wow Santiago! This is awesome! I am struggling to load a single object into AppGameKit and even if i succesfully did so, i am now trying to texture that object and it doesn't work.

loadobjectwithchildren(15,"MyBlenderObjects/TwoArmsXeno1.x")
diffuseTexture = loadImage("MyBlenderObjects/1_metalcorr.png")
setobjectimage(15,diffuseTexture,0)

That 'should' work, right? but my model is just plain white...
GOTO HelloWorld!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2020 22:56
What i don't get, is that Game Guru have complete animated character that load correctly in AppGameKit (not all of them works ok because of different attachment (like shield, guns, sword, etc...) i believe, but i have a few of them that load and animate correctly with being fully textured without having to texture them 'again' in AppGameKit! So i don't know what is going on.

Is there a way to create our own characters from scratch? What is the same software they used to create those characters to work with Game Guru? Seriously that would be the essential if AppGameKit is to survive as an game engine. I already lost 3 weeks trying to find a way to create an animation, load the object in AppGameKit and texture that object without ending up with a white cube... not fun.

GOTO HelloWorld!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2020 22:59 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2020 23:11
[img][img]null[/img]
GOTO HelloWorld!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2020 23:10 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2020 23:15
[img]null[/img]

As you can see, all those Characters load fine in AppGameKit and have animations. on the far right you can also see a very tiny white box, that is my box that is moving around with no texture even if i tried to texture it. The object texture perfectly ok if it doesn't animate. (load object) = work (loadObjectWithChildren) = don't work.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 3rd Jul 2020 01:31 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2020 02:23
@Go To HelloWorld
are you sure you have made your model with children correctly as there have been examples using children that work
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/226325 one of the examples

PS it wont work if you havent texture mapped the model. there are several programs that make this easier eg lithunwrap
is what I use

fubarpk on Itch...………...https://fubarpk.itch.io/
fubarpk on googleplay..https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=fubarpk
GOTO HelloWorld!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2020 00:08
I can't be sure of anything since getting this to work is almost a science in itself. I don't want to rant, but loading a simple texture on an object should be quite easy a process. in Dark Basic, we could just load an .X object and texture it, no problem at all. So why all this fuss now? But i will check your link. Maybe this is the problem. I am using Blender for now , and i downloaded Wings3d as it was recommended to me a few days ago. I have a lot on my plate right now but i'm getting into this seriously next monday. Tough time...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 11:06:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 11:06:36