Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / New here, and LoadObject comment.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2020 17:11
Hi, I'm really new here at AGK.

I am in the process of learning and understanding how AppGameKit works to migrate all my games to AGK.
My programming experience is with Blitz3D
And professionally I have more than 20 years working in 3D modeling and rendering using 3Dsmax + vray, I also work as a designer.

I try to make my games visually striking in 3D, beyond my limitations and the limitations of b3d, that's why at AppGameKit I hope to improve the final graphic quality of my video games.
To generate my 3D models of my games, I use 3dsmax, and generally, from the 3dsmax material library I already exported my games to blitz directly, so it was always a dynamic, natural and fluid process of work.

LOADOBJECT in AGK

At AppGameKit I find that when importing models, they import them in a new way for me, without materials, without textures, without color or alpha properties. if you notice that it respects UVmapping.
I suppose there are technical reasons that I don't know why this is so.
I'm reviewing the Load3d function generated by Chafari
I give myself a handle, I am thinking of generating a function to load the 3D models that I already have, in the most appropriate way, and generate a function to Edit materials within AppGameKit and load it in the games.
maybe there is a material editor, or something that from 3dsmax can keep the properties of the objects in agk

Conclusion, I think AppGameKit should have an accessible and friendly way to load 3D models, a function available to new or non-expert users, that loads a 3D model that is used in other engines, and loads it accordingly. His properties.

do not take my post as a criticism, I am new and I am excited about AppGameKit, it is something that I see that many also ask in the forum and it seems to me that it is a good topic for agk to be easier

Regards, Santiago
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2020 21:48
Quote: "I give myself a handle, I am thinking of generating a function to load the 3D models that I already have, in the most appropriate way, and generate a function to Edit materials within AppGameKit and load it in the games."

well there are multiple approaches to how you texture an object and AppGameKit doesn't want to try and guess these for you or force you to use a particular approach so the most user friendly method is to let you do it yourself - as you said already, make a function to load the correct materials in the correct order can be done via your own function and you have access to file commands so you can make your own text file to hold all the info if you so wish to make it automatic.
life's one big game
spec= i5 4ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia 1070ti gpu
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2020 00:53
id suggest writing your own loading script. open the file and read it as text. find the materials name and load the file from u media folder and texture the object. should be anyle to write a script for it. or at least output the code to copy and paste.

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2020 05:15
Santiago3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2020 16:41
thanks, but i trying to go to the most simple way to do this... and is crazy, this is crazy!

In 3D soft i need to put diferent materials to all objects to getchilds in agk.

but in other side, you need to get the less textures, so, ok, i make a 1 texture for all parts of my plane, but i need to make 1 material for each objects, because if not, when i loadobjects, all mesh with the same material are load like a same mesh child.

so, the solution is have a very huge amount of materials with the same propertys to have childs?

this is crazy. very crazyyyyy

if i make a car, i need to put 4 tires material to have 4 wheels?

this thing about loadobjects must be more flexible, more easy and intuitive..
i don't understand why AppGameKit with the powerfull 3D tools don't do this more easy for users.
i have 2 weeks trying to load my airplanes, i export in diferents format, i try users functios to load my 3d files... and allways in someplace there is a dark hole.

i can tell you, split in 3d archives file for elements or childs is not a good solution, sometimes is good, but is no the usual and correct way to work.
the ideal is, 1 3d file, textures in the directory, childs, with pivots, mesh parent info.
i don't see 1 solution for this topic, i see very users trying to fix this issue.

i think for me is a matter of time to find a solution to avoid this problem, but, why is so dificult?, when ALL agk things are so easy this thing about 3d files is a nighmare!!!

sorry my way to say this, but im very frustrated, i have many progress in all things with agk exept this one.

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2020 21:43
You could load the texture image once
img = LoadImage("tire.png")

Then apply that image to multiple meshes
SetObjectImage(frontRight, img, 0)
SetObjectImage(frontLeft, img, 0)
SetObjectImage(rearRight, img, 0)
SetObjectImage(rearLeft, img, 0)

Login to post a reply