Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / NewJobsCity [Arcade/Adventure]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2020 03:16 Edited at: 26th Aug 2020 19:24
UPDATE:

The game is officially done! Its called NewJobsCity and I have it published on itch and soon to google play.

Link to Itch : https://sathouse.itch.io/newjobscity
Android link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.comp.newjobscity

Been working on this new game in AppGameKit classic for some time and i think its ready to show. In this Arcade/Adventure type game you are traveling and your goal is to acquire enough tickets to board the subway. Todo that you will need to complete 3 different jobs (dog walker, construction worker, theater attendant). I wanted this game to be a mix of 2d and 3d elements that encourage exploration, but on a smaller scale. I also wanted the city to feel alive so i added pedestrians and traffic. Gameplay is pretty much done and my focus now is on visuals.

Im planning on setting up a playable alpha if anyone wants to test.
I wish i thought of a better name when i made this account :/
xtremi
Years of Service
User Offline
Interesting graphics on your game Maybe you could add some more videos?
fancy music
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2020 00:06 Edited at: 5th Aug 2020 22:18
Ill add more videos soon xtremi. Also I was able to get a demo online in HTML5. 3d really tanks the performance but 2d runs at a decent frame rate.

Here's the link: Demo

wasd keys to move and click/drag to look around. There are 3 minigames you can play but i've limited them to 2 levels just for testing.

Instructions:
For the dog walker game you have to keep your dog from running away by tapping the pull icon.
The builder game you have to match the correct shape and angle to the guide on the left, then press the hammer button and tap the icons on the left.
The theatre game requires you to match 3 workers based on the 2 registers in the front. and the 4 food machines in the back (popcorn,candy,ice cream,soda). then click the order complete icon.

Let me know if you you guys have any suggestions, Ill have an android demo up soon.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2020 05:05 Edited at: 5th Jun 2020 05:10
Quote: "Gameplay is pretty much done and my focus now is on visuals. "

don't "improve" the visuals too much. i dig the style completely. see below

re: the frame rate: how many polys are you pushing? it can't be too many/it shouldn't be that low. i'm only getting 13-14 FPS on the demo.i suppose it's more polys than this little xmas gift i posted, but you should still be able to pull 30 FPS on this.

otherwise, i did all 3 tasks multiple times; they were fun, distinct minigames

suggestions:
> Dog Walking: let us use A/D to choose Left/Right vs clicking L/R
> i want to ride that trolley/bus. maybe use it as part of a tutorial to drop us off at a task location, or just let us go for a ride. and, make it a double-decker?
> maybe it was the round-folk, but i immediately thought of Dr. Seuss. "Seussville" is already taken, but consider "Seussing" your city up?

thanks for sharing!
fancy music
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2020 23:19 Edited at: 13th Jun 2020 02:19
Thanks for playing Virtual Nomad. It turns out the polys weren't the source of the slowdown, It was the traffic system running too many calculations. Also I like that xmas game, specifically the driving physics. Did you make the physics yourself or use AGK's built in physics?

As far as riding the bus, you actually can do that but it isn't in the demo.

This week has been setting up 3d models and lighting. I started off modeling with 3D World Studio and AC3D and it still takes me forever . Lighting is baked in Blender. I used a low quality map so the objects will have some spotting but it wont look like that in the final version. Dynamic shadows are performance heavy on my mobile device especially when it has to render an entire city.

Also I made this movie theater object. I was going to make my own posters, but I figured if anyone wants to have their own poster in the game, feel free to send me a design and i'll attach it to one of the 6 frames on the building. As long as its under 512x512 and portrait orientation.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2020 01:34
Quote: " Did you make the physics yourself"

that's built-in bullet (with mis-guided settings ).

Quote: " if anyone wants to have their own poster in the game...512x512 and portrait"

is that a mis-type on the dimensions? i'll be sending a poster

otherwise, looking good, & looking forward to the next update
fancy music
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2020 02:18 Edited at: 13th Jun 2020 04:29
Quote: "that's built-in bullet (with mis-guided settings )"

Oh very clever. And actually the dimensions of the posters dont really matter now that I think about it. Its going to be scaled down anyways... Use an aspect ratio of 2:3 for the posters.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2020 03:51
Quote: "dimensions of the posters dont really matter "

what i meant was, the 6 poster "frames" aren't 1:1 aspect ratio.
fancy music
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2020 04:17 Edited at: 13th Jun 2020 04:30
yes that's right. the frames aren't 1:1 aspect ratio. an 2:3 aspect ratio would work.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2020 22:58 Edited at: 14th Jun 2020 00:18
One poster commin up!

Did i say one? Silly me

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
blink0k make me a poster too
fancy music
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2020 22:44 Edited at: 30th Jun 2020 22:59
Ive been finishing up texturing and lighting these past couple of weeks. I was able to get a pretty decent result by baking ambient occlusion and shadows. and i was able to reduce the "noise" in the textures. I wanted to record a video but I couldnt find good screen capture program for linux .

Also i added a travel section so that i can introduce the mechanics of the game and add some sightseeing elements.

@blink0k

Thank you for the posters, they all look great and i put them in! there's still 3 spots left if anyone else wants to submit an image.

blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2020 00:49 Edited at: 1st Jul 2020 00:52
That is looking very nice! I will keep an eye on this. Great work!
Are the textures very big? What do they look like?

@btibitbit I'll see what i can do
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2020 01:02
That's a very nice aesthetic! I like it.

And blink your art skills are supreme!
fancy music
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2020 19:02
@blink0k
As far as size goes most objects are 1024x1024. Im trying to limit the amount of large images used for mobile devices so I didnt go any higher than 1024px and combined the lightmap and diffuse map into 1 texture. Also i was able to use compression with gimp to lower the file size further. If thats still not enough to run smoothly on mobile then I might have to resize textures down to 512px.

@GarBenjamin
Thanks man! I wanted the look to be appealing but not too colorful and high contrast.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2020 22:23
Awesome. Could you post one of the textures so i could have a look at it please?
fancy music
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2020 13:29
@blink0k Sure, here's the texture I did for the movie theater. Although it still isn't finished.

Been working on finishing up 2d artwork the past couple of weeks. Added sound, media loading/unloading, and updated other gameplay elements. Next I have to add encryption and music.

Oh and I made some movie posters too! They could be better...

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2020 13:59 Edited at: 24th Jul 2020 15:02
Quote: "Thank you for the posters, they all look great and i put them in! there's still 3 spots left if anyone else wants to submit an image."

I didn't make these, but found them doing a quick search. ( googled "funny movie poster parodies" )

These are probably are protected under copyrights as original works even though they were created under 'fair use' as parodies allowing them to use the studios' IPs.

If you can't find any in the public domain they still may give some inspiration for doing some original spoofs...

Now I want to make one of my own. (sidetracked again)

EDIT
Okay, here is my first attempt at a movie poster....
(wasn't trying to make any political statement here, but a politician's likeness can be used as it is legally considered public domain)

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2020 18:37 Edited at: 24th Jul 2020 18:49
Here is the edited one that I would use... (not a political attack, just having fun with it)

For those of you not familiar with this poster.... here is the original real movie poster...
(not sure why Hollywood likes to print the names backwards on posters and inserts, but the fans know who is who)

PS

Your city is looking great now that it is getting the textures. 1000% better

Attachments

fancy music
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2020 19:03
@Conjured Entertainment Those posters are hilarious! Ive seen the woody one before too, its genius. I'll see if I can make some room for your poster
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it okay if we want to see town's layout/map?
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2020 07:12
I keep clicking this post on accident looking for work.lol

fancy music
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2020 21:56
@smerf Hopefully you'll be able to find work soon. I have to wrap my game up by this week and start looking for work too

@BITBITBIT The map only covers an area of about 1 block. Its pretty simple, just shows the jobs you have to do and the player location.

Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2020 02:51 Edited at: 5th Nov 2021 12:22
Looks great. Always excited to see people building towns/making a world.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2020 15:54
Quote: "Always excited to see people building towns/making a world."

Especially player built.

That was my favorite aspect of Ultima Online back in the day... the housing.

fancy music
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2020 22:15 Edited at: 5th Aug 2020 22:17
Alright so I finally finished my game Its officially called NewJobsCity. I have it published on itch.io for now and soon to be published on google play. Let me know if anyone has issues starting or running it on windows or linux.

Link to Itch: https://sathouse.itch.io/newjobscity

This was definitely a learning experience . im just glad I was able to finish something.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2020 18:34
apparently, i'm great at dog-walking but clueless when it comes to working a concession stand. but, i'm not giving up since i want on the subway!

meanwhile, would you like me to change the title of this thread to NewJobsCity? and, it might be good for you to update the first post with a link to the finished game?

otherwise, runs fine on windows. congrats on finishing
[AGK Resource Directory] | [TGC @ GitHub]
[My Itch.io Home]
[CODE lang=AGK] Your Code Here [/CODE]
[VIDEO=youtube] VideoID [/VIDEO]
fancy music
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2020 00:26 Edited at: 7th Aug 2020 00:28
@Virtual Nomad Thanks again for playing. Yes you can change the name. Also, that's a good idea about updating the 1st post. Im going to work on that now.
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2020 07:50 Edited at: 5th Nov 2021 12:22
I, representing all Android users, demand this on our platform
fancy music
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2020 10:07
@BITBITBIT I got you covered. Android Link. Top post has the link as well.

Now its time to step back and really critique my own work.
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2020 13:53 Edited at: 5th Nov 2021 12:22
I have just tried it.
The opening bus scene really gives a sense of going to the city. The scale is very nice. The NPC style reminds me of Elder Scroll Daggerfall

Issues: On Android, the control buttons seems to be wonky. Some buttons cannot be pressed (some directional button and 'restart')
fancy music
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2020 19:36
Not sure what is causing that. Im thinking that the positioning of the virtual buttons is causing issues. What android device are you using?
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2020 03:05 Edited at: 5th Nov 2021 12:23
I'm using Samsung Galaxy 10 on the latest Android.
The 'menu' buttons looks like it's positioned not all the way to the right. The splash screen sprite also didn't fully cover the screen.
So this is probably caused by incorrect screen width/height, GetScreenMaxWidth or screen resolution settings. Since all phone have different screen dimension, you probably need to make the screen resolution adjust dynamically with the device screen, instead of using fixed resolution value
Try to fix screen orientation and get max screen width/height at the beginning of the code, and while-loop until you get full screen width/height so that you get correct screen size to use for positioning and sizing of buttons and sprites.
fancy music
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2020 18:40
Aspect ratios and screen resolutions really are my biggest weakness . Thanks BITBITBIT. Im wondering if it would be better to size and position sprites based on SetDisplayAspect or use GetScreenMaxWidth/Height instead? Might as well test them both.
fancy music
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2020 19:35
Update: All sprites now work with a percentage based system so they should look right regardless of screen size. My ebay laptop is too slow for Android Virtual Device so I wasnt able to test on alot of devices. I was able to test on a couple devices using browserstack.com and nothing seemed stretched or distorted. The new build should be updated on Itch and Google Play. Also I threw together a quick trailer on the 1st post.
Lupo4mica37
Years of Service
User Offline
You guys are amazing!

Fancy music, I like the sort of ideas in AppGameKit that involve different levels of interaction, from 3D FPS kinda to mini games and that sort of thing. Really good work, especially that Fast Food Restaurant mini game, that actually gave me an idea for a mini game for my own project.

The Toyminator and the Cowmageddon and Pixelstein, my gosh, that is really awesome ideas!

As for the politicians, it's like a kinda disease about the politicians in general and lies, I mean just face the Truth, face the facts, speak the facts and the world will be a better place without lies.
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2020 17:45 Edited at: 5th Nov 2021 12:24
Hello, I've tried the updated version.
The buttons controls are now working well.
The game also occupy mostly all of the screen space. The percentage system looks like it's working well.

Just a little thing I've noticed, not so vital/critical though. I've noticed that the game does not hide the Android buttons/using immersive mode. So the rightmost menu buttons will collide with Adroid native 'home' and 'back' buttons, which hinder users from pressing either buttons correctly.
There's a command in AppGameKit that lets app use 'immersive' mode which will make the app use the whole screen, and hide the Android 'home' and 'back' buttons. I forgot the full name of the command, but its there

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 01:27:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 01:27:48