Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / [SOLVED] Debugger is not displaying the line where a break point was hit

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am having trouble figuring out which break point was hit because the IDE does not change focus to the correct code module and line when execution pauses. I have tried these work-arounds:

1. Ensuring the module and line where the break point is set are visible in the IDE before debugging does not help. For some bizarre reason, upon starting, the debugger immediately changes focus to the bottom of a function in the middle of another module where there is no break point. And it's of no help whatsoever when there are multiple breakpoints in multiple modules anyway, since they cannot all be displayed at the same time.
2. Clicking the "Step" button briefly displays the code containing the break point while it executes the line where it paused, but the IDE quickly returns focus to the previously displayed module (as described in in bullet 1 above) when it pauses for the next line. Assuming I can tell which module was briefly displayed, I have to open the module tab manually to see the line where it stopped, by which point the line of code I was trying to debug has executed and I have to start over.
3. Alternatively, I can scroll and visually scan through all of the code modules until I find the highlighted line indicating where it stopped.
4. Closing and reopening the IDE sometimes fixes this problem for an execution or two, but at the cost of losing all my break points. Eventually the issue recurs.

Has anybody else experienced this? If so, have you found some easier way of finding the break point where execution paused?

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Ron2019
Years of Service
User Offline
16 views in two days and not one other person indicates they have had the same problem? I'd guess there's something wrong with my copy of AppGameKit, then?
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2020 21:58
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
I have never experienced this so that may well be the case.
Have you tried re-installing?
I have noticed a lot of odd errors coming from people who use a remote or network drive as well
Ron2019
Years of Service
User Offline
Not a network drive, but I have been debugging from a USB drive. I moved the source code folder to an internal HD and added a bunch of breakpoints. It has changed focus to the code tab and source code line hit every time so far, as expected. I also now appear able to successfully add and remove breakpoints while debugging, which was another sporadic issue I've experienced. I wonder whether this isn't also the cause of less frequent problem I've been having opening the Find window and adding comments to code during debugging?

This would not have occurred to me as the cause of this problem, so thanks for the suggestion! If the problem doesn't recur, I'll return here later today and mark your response as the answer.

Ron2019
Years of Service
User Offline
Moving the source code to the internal HD fixed my breakpoint issues. Thanks, blink0k!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 07:24:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 07:24:26