Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [SOLVED] Loaded images using more GPU memory than they should

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2020 11:33
When I load about 7MB worth of PNG and JPG images, my GPU memory usage increases by around 120MB according to GetImageMemoryUsage(). (I am not generating mipmaps)

So either loaded images are taking up more GPU space than they need, or GetImageMemoryUsage() is bugged.

Can someone else please try loading some images into an AppGameKit Tier1 program and see if they have the same issue?

Thank you

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

SFSW
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 28th Jul 2020 17:23 Edited at: 30th Jul 2020 01:14
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
PNG and JPG are compressed formats (PNG being lossless and JPG being lossy). Those compression qualities are not retained when you load them into video memory. AppGameKit does not (as of yet) support texture compression, so the raw image size is required to hold images in video memory. If you don't need them all the time, you can load and apply only the ones you need, then swap things around as scenes/objects change to keep video memory within your target confines. More information and tips are available here: https://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/tips.html

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:28:49
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:28:49