Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Bluetooth Support --- Reconsidered? - Plugin Maybe????

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi AGK

Seeing this message for bluetooth support from 10 years ago?

Any re - consideration for this...

So many users request serial/Bluetooth futures. I'm pretty sure it will be a handy addition.
(I know we already have the Serial plugin which work really great, thank you)

I'm also willing to donate if few bucks if needed to implement this in AGK/AGKS, or even a GURU who can do a plugin for Tier 1 for bluetooth support.

Thanks
Danie

Attachments

Login to view attachments
feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
They support Windows, iPhone, and Android. I've developed for all 3... not that I did much besides fix bugs on the XBox app for a month before my contract ended (I admittedly was there for years prior on a different team).

Let's consider what they'd actually be doing. On Windows... they're already full blown computers. We probably aren't playing with BT devices.
Android API's don't actually work the way they're said to. My friend implemented BlueTooth on Android, and told me the woes of getting every phone to behave the same. Imagine doing that in AGK.
iOS: This is actually really consistent. Probably the only one to be supported if they do.

Long story short, Android is a pile of sand, windows doesn't do mobile much, and apple... is extremely easy even if you do it native. Seriously it's like 5 callbacks with 2 NSDictionaries since the hardware part is taken care of.

If you're going straight into hardware, then why would you keep it in a hobbyist game developer's toy? (I'm assuming that's the target market, not trying to knock anything, after all I bought 2 copies, one me, one for my friend during the sale.)
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2020 09:05 Edited at: 25th Aug 2020 09:12
Quote: "(I'm assuming that's the target market, not trying to knock anything, after all I bought 2 copies, one me, one for my friend during the sale.)"

I made a lot of network prototypes in AppGameKit that work to this day. AppGameKit is fast and fine for most of the stuff. If its not fast enough, I go C++, that can even be ported back to
AGK by Plugins, so prototype development can continue in AppGameKit with a c++ backend.

A direct Bluetooth/ USB/ Serial would always be a good addition. But I do not see a priority here because I am fine with the Serial plugin.
Works great, multi platform support. Although I have not tried it on android.

What are you trying to archieve?
Do you want to create a custom Bluetooth device?

DannyD
Years of Service
User Offline
@Jack

Yes, Custom BL Device, cause serial plugin dont work with android
Serial Plugin Don't work for me on anything other than windows.
And for bluetooth, it's mobile market

Seeing your a C++ Guru. Do a bluetooth plugin... I'll buy it!!!!

Cheers
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2020 09:45 Edited at: 28th Aug 2020 09:47
I had a few users ask for bluetooth support. Not many people, but it might have been an interesting addition if it was available at the time. My app and the available API got people building internet controlled lock boxes and safes, so blue tooth would have been another option they could have worked with when developing those lock boxes.
OryUI - A WIP AGK2 UI Framework
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2020 09:23 Edited at: 30th Aug 2020 09:23
I have never developed an android library for AGK. So lets do this together.
I already did some Android NDK AppGameKit Stuff with Bluetooth. It will be some sort of the same, as we may call NDK Bluetooth stuff. IDK

Can you work out some requirements for bt communication? Actually it looks like you want to manange connections from inside of AGK.
Then just a simple serial read/write on an open connection?

DannyD
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Jack

Found this...
https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/connectivity/bluetooth

I assube it will be just serial comms between the two paired devices.
All I want it read/write from AppGameKit, don't care how they pair.. with default android or within AGK

Could be nice to detect Bluetooth devices aswell from within AppGameKit and then connect

Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2020 01:37
I worked with the Bluetooth API on Android (Android Studio) recently, the commands can be optimized for AppGameKit, but I fear that you need some information first.

1. If you add a plugin that requires bluetooth, how do you change the manifest? I mean you could open the APK and can hack it by hand.
2. Would it be possible to broadcast? If the AppGameKit Player has no BT in their manifest, it won't work.
3. Maybe this problem also occur in the serial plugin for android. Open the apk by hand and check the manifest first.
4. I have always used Tier2 for such kind of things, because device control requires a lot of direct access. Maybe you are better of with T2 too?

DannyD
Years of Service
User Offline
@Jack

For now I went back to Basic4Android. Used that for years and then found AppGameKit and used that. But seems like the current limitations for something OTHER than Games in AGK/AGKS is not worth the effort to try.

Which is pretty sad. I've "sold" proposed AppGameKit to our Director and Technology department to USE AppGameKit as a development language for our Grade 10-12 students, and would have bought maybe 30-50 packages for school only, and after I got "STUCK" that I could get.... first the Barcode scanning to work... and then the Bluetooth thingi they decide against it, and we went to Basic4Android which is free since about 3 months ago.

I also tried to "sell" VR Quest (GameGuru) non violent system, but they kindoff skeptical now...
It's really bad, I personally like AppGameKit alot, and have all their addon, gameguru with all the DLC's...

Thats life.. you win some... you loose alot....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 12:40:33
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 12:40:33